All Terrain Warriors campers

Keyne

Adventurer
Nice article in the most recent Overland Journal (gear Guide 2014)! Congrats on that.

Quick question, they mentioned in the article the lack of low range in the US Fuso but that ATW was going to solve it soon. Interested to hear more about that. Also, can the camper body be added to a truck provided by a customer (eg used FG140 manual)?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Nice article in the most recent Overland Journal (gear Guide 2014)! Congrats on that.

Quick question, they mentioned in the article the lack of low range in the US Fuso but that ATW was going to solve it soon. Interested to hear more about that. Also, can the camper body be added to a truck provided by a customer (eg used FG140 manual)?

Hi Deane.

How are you? Yeah. Wow. Didn't know about the article. The OJ crew sometimes send us a copy. Really great mag....anyway not sure what was said.

ATW was planning to develop a dual range option for the Australian FGB71 "High Gear." The minute we pulled a 71 transfercase down it was obviously not simple or viable. Soon after this FUSO Australia announced the coming of the FGB "Dual Range" which finally arrived just before last Xmas. Buying a new 71 dual range transfercase and retrofitting it would be financially out of the question I think and the 71 gearbox output is very different to the previous models so that rules out a second hand transfer. It would be nice if FUSO Australia could offer a conversion as they still have large stock of the high gear models. There are some really good deals going on these superseded models. Remember in Australia, we do not have the auto transmission as in America so our manual high gear only is somewhat limited in offroad situations.

Re: providing a secondhand FG140 as a base.....you'd have to ask the guys over there. There is no problem making the correct subframe to suit that chassis but not sure what they would say about it.

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
Here's an interesting job we are almost finished .... Allison 2500 conversion into FG84....the Allison techheads are arriving this week to test drive and hopefully sign off on it as an approved conversion. This pick was taken a couple of weeks back but it's all ready for the first drive.
attachment.php

John,

Not sure how I missed this before, can you provide some details on what was done with regard to adapting the Allison to the FG84 (physical and electronics)?

I'm sure you know the 1000, 2200 and 2500 Allisons are all very similar and a 1000 series comes behind GM/Chevy Duramax (6.6L V8 diesel) equipped pickup trucks in the states.

SO, if this can readily be made to work with an FG84 platform, it could be an option for us to convert FE and Crew models to 4WD using the NV263 transfer case that comes in the pickups. These transmisions can be built to hold 800+ hp so you arent going to break them easily. There is also a six speed conversion for the earlier five speed models, which provides two over drive gears and the option to use a stand alone TCM.

Cheers

whatcharterboat

John,

Not sure how I missed this before, can you provide some details on what was done with regard to adapting the Allison to the FG84 (physical and electronics)?

I'm sure you know the 1000, 2200 and 2500 Allisons are all very similar and a 1000 series comes behind GM/Chevy Duramax (6.6L V8 diesel) equipped pickup trucks in the states.

SO, if this can readily be made to work with an FG84 platform, it could be an option for us to convert FE and Crew models to 4WD using the NV263 transfer case that comes in the pickups. These transmisions can be built to hold 800+ hp so you arent going to break them easily. There is also a six speed conversion for the earlier five speed models, which provides two over drive gears and the option to use a stand alone TCM.

Cheers

Hi.

Yeah well all I can say is that one of the auto electricians we have on staff developed the adaptor harness for the wiring. That was fairly straight forward and he plays around a lot with Duramax/Allison to Nissan Patrol conversions so knows that harness already. The billet bell housing however was not so easy.... it was a work of art really......same with the new output shaft we made for the Allison to marry to the Fuso transfer input spline but you won't really need that if you want to run the NV263. I bet you would pay alot less for a 2500 in the USA but here the new 6speed tranny and shifter was about half the total cost of the conversion. A quarter was custom machining and the rest was tailshafts, crossmember, wiring, cooler, centre console etc. I guess we could look at only doing the belhousing and flywheel adaptor for you. Sounds like thats all you'd require for what you're talking about.

At first it looked like we'd only be able to run as a 5 speed but we were able to scrape up enough power to run as a 6 speed. We set it up with 4th, 5th and 6th lockout and a T-bar shifter. I think i have said this before but the performance with the 4.9 Fuso and that tranny is astounding.

Last edited:

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Any idea on timeline and definitive pricing? The $125K price point seems low for this vehicle comparitvilely to a sportsmobile at $90K+...

whatcharterboat

Any idea on timeline and definitive pricing? The $125K price point seems low for this vehicle comparitvilely to a sportsmobile at $90K+...

Hi Butch,

You would be best to contact the guys at Sportsmobile / ATW USA.

Kind regards
john.

whatcharterboat

Posted 07-06-2014

Sagestone

Dear ATW, the global warrior ‘hard side' option is intriguing but please build the warrior hard top. I know it would be as functional as this cool offering and perhaps even more attractive. Last time John mentioned it, he said they will build it when they have an order for one. Do I make the check out to Sportsmobile West and fly into Fresno, CA from Maine or do I have relocate to Australia, learn to order beer by the color of the can, and convert my currency?
"Never let the obvious be your only guide to reality" Sagestone

Reply dlh62c

Sportsmobile West has already build one. The owner is touring some where around California. Photos are located in the Gallery section of their website.

www.allterrainwarriors.com

Reply Sagestone

Thanks. Beautiful gallery. But that looks like the 'hard panel' option that replaces the standard soft sides. I was referring to a full hard body that would incorporate upper cabinets, full height walls for the bath area, etc. Just like the Woelcke Explorer's profile. The 'hard side' option though is enticing and probably could be personally modded to suit but it would be nice to see the Global Warrior built edition that was discussed as being on their drawing boards leap to life. Take care...good to hear from you. Getting closer to an actual commitment on a rig...can't wait.
OK, hold everything!...just flipped through the gallery again and I think they may have incorporated some of my wish list!

"Never let the obvious be your only guide to reality" Sagestone

Hi Dean and Daryl.

Just transferred this over from the "Autark" thread. Not sure why it was posted there.

RE: the new one-piece hardtop. Sorry Dean, still no orders for that yet. We do have a new FUSO Crewcab Global Warrior under construction at present. It is being built for a new hire company. Will post pics soon. Will also post details of the hire company once they go online.

Regards John

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Some pics of the new Crewcab FUSO Global Warrior.

New 220litre fuel tank.

image.jpg

New 4way split and folding rear bench to allow passage to the camper module.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

canter tourer

Adventurer
Now that looks nice, will watch this with interest.

Do you know if they are fitting child seat restraint points for the rear seats? given that may be a reasonable need of the hire company's market.

I know that's the reason I have a dual cab, so I can carry the monsters along and have had to fit restraints to suit their seats. They love driving around so far up in the traffic!

whatcharterboat

Do you know if they are fitting child seat restraint points for the rear seats? given that may be a reasonable need of the hire company's market.

I know that's the reason I have a dual cab, so I can carry the monsters along and have had to fit restraints to suit their seats. They love driving around so far up in the traffic!

Yes. It will definitely have child restraints fitted in the rear on at least two seats but probably all four.

whatcharterboat

Sorry about the picture quality in the bad light but will take some more when we get it outside. This is actually being built with parts that we pulled out of the first generation Global Warrior moulds.

Regards
John.
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke