All Terrain Warriors campers

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The wheelbase on my truck is 3460mm. :)

Hahaha....ok. Yes you are right. Knew you'd pick me up on that.

MWB FG649 was 3380mm.
MWB FG84 was 3460mm.
MWB FGB71 is 3415mm.

SWB were all 600mm less.

Maybe i should have just said that "All Crewcabs are MWB". Haha.

DzlToy

Explorer
(slightly off topic) Hey John, have you guys ever done any super short tray backs or tow rigs based on a crew cab? Something in the range of 1800 - 2500mm bed length on a 2900 - 3000 mm wheelbase?

Would be interested in details or pics if you have any. I know that is small for a camper but a mate of mine is looking at doing one for an all around work truck, camping truck, tow rig, haul mountain bikes, firewood, etc. Basically he would be replacing a domestic pick up truck which has a 6-8 foot bed depending on the model.

Cheers

whatcharterboat

(slightly off topic) Hey John, have you guys ever done any super short tray backs or tow rigs based on a crew cab? Something in the range of 1800 - 2500mm bed length on a 2900 - 3000 mm wheelbase?

Would be interested in details or pics if you have any. I know that is small for a camper but a mate of mine is looking at doing one for an all around work truck, camping truck, tow rig, haul mountain bikes, firewood, etc. Basically he would be replacing a domestic pick up truck which has a 6-8 foot bed depending on the model.

Cheers

Hey mate. How ya goin?

I guess the answer is "Not yet!!! When do we start?" It would be a really great conversion. Easy to do and I remember this has been discussed here before......I think 3100 mm WB was discussed as a good compromise.

The only "short traybacks" we've made.....and there were plenty of these made over the last 3 years.......are these 14 seaters still on the original MWB.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
That's a weird looking truck for sure. We dont get anything like that here, at least not that I have seen. The 3100 would be ok on the WB for a 96" bed, maybe even a bit longer. I played with some numbers today on a friends LWB FE649.

Thanks for the reply, we may just have to build one :D

whatcharterboat

That's a weird looking truck for sure. We dont get anything like that here, at least not that I have seen. The 3100 would be ok on the WB for a 96" bed, maybe even a bit longer. I played with some numbers today on a friends LWB FE649.

Thanks for the reply, we may just have to build one :D

Sounds great. 3150mm maybe then.

Since you hadn't seen ay of these multi cab trucks before here's a couple more .......a 14 seater but on an Isuzu chassis still with original duals and OEM suspension......and at the bottom are 10 seaters which have a tray about 2700mm long. We only built about 20 of those 10 seaters. The 14 seaters with the shorter trays were much more popular.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Spyderaven

Ok so I am a newb on here but am very interested in the fuso model camper and try as I might I am unable to find any posting stating the main differances between the ATW alpha model fuso and the EC fuso. I know (or have read) that they are the same base model and then ATW and EC have made their own touches to theur perspective models. I like the tail end of the ATW model over the EC model but are you losing storage or living area with the slant back vs the square back? I have read that both are outstanding in the expedition or overlanding travels but would love to get a side by side comparison of the two. Thoughts?
:coffee:

whatcharterboat

Ok so I am a newb on here but am very interested in the fuso model camper and try as I might I am unable to find any posting stating the main differances between the ATW alpha model fuso and the EC fuso. I know (or have read) that they are the same base model and then ATW and EC have made their own touches to theur perspective models. I like the tail end of the ATW model over the EC model but are you losing storage or living area with the slant back vs the square back? I have read that both are outstanding in the expedition or overlanding travels but would love to get a side by side comparison of the two. Thoughts?

Hi Spyderhaven.

I am happy to talk to you about the ATW Global Warrior but won't make any reference to another brand with competitive product. Also the ATW Global Warrior is built with different options and equipment to the ATW USA Alpha Camper.

The slanting back has not been cutaway.....quite the opposite. By having the rear of the module that shape we have added considerably to the size of the living space. Our old Scout models for the same chassis were about 4.2 mm long. The Global Warrior module is now 4700mm . That is a 500mm increase in the length of the living space internally......and the spare wheels on the rear do not add to the overall length of the vehicle.

We have only slightly cut away a section down at the floor level to bring the back bumper and winch in tightly underneath. The chassis has been shortened slightly too so this can happen. There are spring mounts incorporated into rear winch bar along with a 3500kg rated towbar, heavy recovery points, double wheel cradle and replaceable composite bumper ends with LED lighting. The whole thing was CAD drawn and virtually engineered and tested to cater for the winching and towing loads and stresses.

Kind regards John

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

Both are very well made with a lot more similarities than differences. It's a bit like asking whether a Mercedes is better than a BMW. Each manufacturer will tell you what's good about their brand - and the reality is that they are both strong brands.

Come up to overland expo east in october and check them all out for yourself.

whatcharterboat

If anyone is interested, there are two second hand Global Warriors coming onto the market.

One must be sold due to unforeseen circumstances and only has 5000 km on the clock. It is like new and the owner has added plenty of clever touches.

The other is the personal vehicle of the Managing Director of ATW and it has less than 10,000 kms on the clock. There are plenty of build photos of it in this thread.

Details of both will be posted up on the Australian ATW website over the next couple of days.

I just wanted to let Expo members in on the offer first.

Regards
John

Last edited:

Spyderaven

Thanks for the info John.....I have actually been trolling through earlier posts and checking out different threads talking about FGs....I was really stuck on the Iveco's but unfortunately they aren't available in the US that I am aware of so I have been doing more and more research on the fuso....very impressed and have changed my "wants" now ......

And pugslyyy....I REALLY wanted to make the overland expo east ( especially since its in my neck of the woods ) but unfortunately military obligation is preventing me from attending that weekend....but one day I will.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Thanks for the info John.....I have actually been trolling through earlier posts and checking out different threads talking about FGs....I was really stuck on the Iveco's but unfortunately they aren't available in the US that I am aware of so I have been doing more and more research on the fuso....very impressed and have changed my "wants" now ......

And pugslyyy....I REALLY wanted to make the overland expo east ( especially since its in my neck of the woods ) but unfortunately military obligation is preventing me from attending that weekend....but one day I will.

yeah, you've discovered the limitations of the US COE market - the only current offering is the Fuso FG. It's a good option but lack of competition is an issue.

There's always expo west if you want to plan a trip for the spring.

whatcharterboat

Lots of interesting jobs going on at work recently so I took a few pics . Building plenty of crewcabs for various applications and few different SRW conversions . One for mining rescue and new Queensland Fire Service Crewcab. Also our new composite bus pod on a SWB FUSO.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Ok. Welcome to the forum. Plenty of info here and a wealth of experience from home builders. Good luck with your research.

Regards John.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke