Land Cruiser with a Cummins turbo diesel conversion

Cimarron13

I think a big part of diesel conversion sales within a year of the swap is that many of the folks getting the swap done have not dealt with a diesel prior to the swap. The diesel has huge up sides over the stock power plant for sure but most are just not prepared for the diligence the diesel requires. Cold weather issues, louder than what they are accustomed to, vibrations etc all factor in. The bulk of the American public just want to jump in, turn the key and go, anything past that becomes a hassle. Bottom line, they are simply not for everyone.

I can agree with that. I love diesels and its all I drive. My wife got spoiled with my 2011 VW TDI and now thinks driving the older diesels should be the same. She doesn't like waiting for glow plugs, pushing a grid heater button for 10 seconds, or making sure to plug it in on freezing nights. Just like you said she wants to jump in and drive. She also doesn't understand that diesels need to be driven to warm up.

Last edited:

Cimarron13

That is a lot of weight on the front axle... the 5.9 12v is just under 1,000 pounds and the 24v is just under 1200 pounds. yikes... wouldn't want to go down too steep a hill in that (unless I wanted to roll end-for-end down the hill) as the back end would be very light.
Doesn't feel that way at all. Feels the same way it did with the stock engine. I wouldn't do anything that crazy anyway.

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
That is a lot of weight on the front axle... the 5.9 12v is just under 1,000 pounds and the 24v is just under 1200 pounds. yikes... wouldn't want to go down too steep a hill in that (unless I wanted to roll end-for-end down the hill) as the back end would be very light.

Not with the current physics that exists on our earth. 75% of the engine is behind the front axle plus the transmission and transfercase. I live 45 min from the Rubicon Trail everything is steep there.

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
Cummins Cruiser

Cimarron13 that's my dream cruiser an 80 with a 6BT is that a "P" pump engine? How did you mate the NV4500 to the transfercase? I've never seen it done you rock. How did you get the oil pan to clear? I have a million more question it would be easier for you just to give me your FZJ80 for just a few years.

Mine is a 6BT5.9 with NV4500 mated to a FJ62 Tcase. Axles stock FJ60.

Last edited:

Cimarron13

Cimarron13 that's my dream cruiser an 80 with a 6BT is that a "P" pump engine? How did you mate the NV4500 to the transfercase? I've never seen it done you rock. How did you get the oil pan to clear? I have a million more question it would be easier for you just to give me your FZJ80 for just a few years.

Mine is a 6BT5.9 with NV4500 mated to a FJ62 Tcase. Axles stock FJ60.
Same combo with a 60 series split case (from an 85) using AA adapter. Yes it's a "P" pump from a 97. It came from an auto so I didn't get the 220 HP engine that came behind the manual. The auto version was 185 HP I believe but plenty for me. It's intercooled as well. Oil pan is cleared by having 4" lift. I had to take out my 4" Slee springs and replace with the OME 4" competition springs to hold the extra weight up front.

Cimarron13

Thank you very much, also ! :sombrero:

I take it that using the Dodge air filter box is a problem ?

(does anyone know off hand if that filter minder thing ever fails?)
I installed a filter minder on my system. I have a big old Donaldson unit that takes two filters that run about $40 total so I don't want to change out prematurely. Don't know about the Dodge intake setup.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Really ? ? ? Wow. Please can you tell me more about the Donaldson and if it's possible to still find them ? I like that filter minder, too. I think I see it on the left in the first photo. Any information on the Donaldson would be appreciated - thanks :)

Cimarron13

Really ? ? ? Wow. Please can you tell me more about the Donaldson and if it's possible to still find them ? I like that filter minder, too. I think I see it on the left in the first photo. Any information on the Donaldson would be appreciated - thanks :)
It's a Donaldson part# G090245. The snorkel feeds into it but did not give the Cummins enough air so the air cleaner is open in the engine bay as well. However I have a plate that will up close the engine bay opening so the snorkel would be the only air inlet if I need to go through deep water. I couldn't ditch the snorkel during conversion since I already put a big round hole in the fender so the shop did a good job of making it stay functional.

Attachments

• IMG_1583.jpg
    IMG_1583.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1588.jpg
    IMG_1588.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 19

calicamper

Expedition Leader
What a great build! Nice work I had the 93 LC stock for many years the big pain point was the mileage. Loved the truck hated the mileage sounds like you have it sorted out. Spent two weeks in Tanzania in the 9 passenger troopy LC conversion sporting military 9ply tires. They had leaf springs on that thing that looked like they came off a 6 ton truck very heavy beefy stretch conversion job on the Japanese imported 2dr slab sided LC. This was a very small shop they had three rides the new 9 passenger rig, a 4 passenger LC and a Range Rover 2dr. Was really interesting talking to the driver and part owner of the company. For two weeks we ran 25mpg (US converted numbers) tank averages on the nice inline turbo diesel 6 that was new in 2007 so fairly modern engine. He said it was the cleanest running of the newer trucks. They used the 2dr Range Rover for the wet season given it was lighter and far superior in the mud. The heavy LC's he explained sunk like rocks in the wet season basically said any mud he basically takes all efforts to avoid or the heavy LC's just sink to their axle. However he said mileage and quality was vastly superior with the LC vs the Range Rover. Great trip we flew in to a dirt strip got picked up and worked our way back. 4 Adults in a 9 passenger troopy for two weeks driver was a great guy we had alot of fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94