Thread: 1991 Range Rover, worth buying?

Default 1991 Range Rover, worth buying?

Never owned a Rover of any kind, found a pretty good condition with one possible exception for sale locally. 1991 3.9 V8, about 150,000 miles in overall good conditon, could get it for $2100. It's been sitting for months, hasn't been registered since 2006.

Downside, it might need a headgasket.

I know, I know, but other than that, it was a Mall Rover.

If I were to get it, it wouldn't be a daily driver, I can afford to get it fixed and/or upgraded over time.

Is it worth taking a flyer on or should I keep looking around?
    John E.

Yes...

It could happen any time
    tornado, earthquake,
    Armageddon...

It could happen
    or sunshine, love, salvation

It could you know, that's why we wake
    and look out

No guarantees in this life but some bonuses
    like morning, like noon, like evening...

like right now

William Stafford 1914-1993

It WILL need a head gasket. Those engines almost always need one when they get past 100,000 miles, although ours made it to 210,000.

Are you going to do the work yourself, or pay someone?

Go to http://www.rangerovers.net/ to learn about the latest on getting them fixed. I think you can fix them now so they won't blow again.

I miss our Range Rover.
    James Howard

1968 Land Rover Dormobile
    1992 Range Rover, green with a white roof, the "Rangemobile"
    http://dormobile.blogspot.com

Bad head gasket? So, really if you can't start it up and drive it, everything else on the car is questionable. That in mind, 2100 seems steep for a truck you can't drive and test out.

The '91 doesn't have any special bits about it, in fact it is smack-dab in the middle of the run of non-desirable RRC's. UNLESS it's a Hunter (it'll say on the rear tailgate).

Of course rust is your enemy, second only to the pre-existing head gasket problem.

If you bought it for 2100 you probably coudn't part it out and break even. I'd offer $500 and see where it goes from there.
    Michael Slade

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade
    I'd offer $500 and see where it goes from there.
    What he said. Maybe $300. I had a running RRC that I could hardly give away. I have people offering me trucks that sound a lot like that one for free and I don't take them.

Insurance Auto Auctions in Burlington VT just sold an 89 RRC with 18K on the clock for $600 two weeks ago. I could have bid on it and didn't.
    OM616 powered 88 Land Rover
    OM617 turbo powered 109

Built, not bought

http://www.seriestrek.com

Wishful thinking and just plain ignorance

Default More data...

The Range Rover in question runs, that's why there's a question about the head gasket.

I would be paying someone to do the work.

It's a California vehicle, no rust anywhere that I could find anyway.

I've been to a couple of websites looking for more info, mainly found list of specs, will check out the Rangerovers.net site.

Owner claims he's been offered $2000.00 for it for parts, don't know if he's being honest, no reason to doubt him or to put too much faith in him either.

Given my extremely limited experience I don't think one could buy something similiar to this for $300 or $500, at least not in SoCal, if someone knows of one with similiar mileage selling for that, please let me know.

Thanks for the info so far, more always appreciated.
    John E.

Yes...

It could happen any time
    tornado, earthquake,
    Armageddon...

It could happen

and look out

like right now

MattScott is offline Expedition Portal Team
    Expedition Portal Moderator
    Writing Enthusiast.
    I think you should just look for one in good condition, you could pick one up for around 3,000 if you looked.
    Matthew Scott
    Field Editor, Expedition Portal
    I drive a Jeep.

Since you're in SoCal, you should ask John Gadd (roverdude) on http://lrrforums.com - He specializes in RRC.
    **2000 Land Rover DII - BFG All-Terrain KO 245/75-16, Traction Control, no CDL, TF front & KMC rear diff guard, Rockstar Fab door panel
    **2000 Land Rover DII SD w/3" lift, BFG Mud-Terrain KM2 255/85-16, Mantec snorkel, rock sliders, KMC diff guards, ARB front bumper, custom rear bumper, CDL, Trutrac front, Detroit rear locker, GBR 4.14 gears & HD driveshaft, Ashcroft HD axles & CV, Columbia Rovers gas tank skid, LR front skid, BajaRack roof rack, Polybush Dynamic bushings, blr HD engine mounts

John E -

I can't pretend to be an expert, and most of the dudes on here have probably 'forgotten' more than I 'know' about Rovers, but FWIW I have a '91 RRC (Great Divide Edition) and love it.

I've owned it since new. At 165K miles the 3.9 needed a head gasket so I took that opportunity to do a rebuild, the odometer currently shows 270K miles. Having spent it's life in SoCal, there is no rust other than the typical spotting on the upper tailgate. I maintain a relatively aggressive (preventative) maintenance schedule on my RRC because I often go solo on my off road adventures (I'm not much of a club kinda guy). I've been able to get where ever I wanted to go (on & off road) in comfort while carrying a crapload of camping amenities (usually way more than I need).

Anyway, if you are in SoCal there are quite a few independent RR shops that can provide a pre-purchase survey. I think it would be worth the effort and nominal cost of a PPS to check out that '91 RRC. Pending the PPS (and going on your description) I think an offer of $1,500 would get you a pretty good project car.

...I'm just saying...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MUSBJIM; 11-07-2008 at 05:39 AM.
    MUSBJIM
    '91 RRC - Great Divide Edition #158

'04 RR HSE

Default Thanks everyone...

for the info and the advice. I have to admit that I was hoping someone would tell me to jump on a great deal. The reality is somewhat different!

I'm going to keep an eye on this thing, it lives in a driveway on a road I drive on several times a week, that's how I found it in the first place. If it's still there in a month or so, I'll offer the guy $500 to get it out of the driveway.

In the meantime, I'll keep looking around. I don't really need another vehicle, beside my Subaru we've got two Mercedes wagons that run on veggie oil parked at home. I was just thinking that I could use something with more cargo space for my job and the Rover fits that requirement.
    John E.

Yes...

It could happen any time
    tornado, earthquake,
    Armageddon...

It could happen

and look out

like right now

Keep looking. You can find RRC's out there in good condition close to $2000. Better deals still if your willing to wait and search.