School me on wheel spacers, please

Spenser

Adventurer
I am interested in putting some aftermarket wheels on my commander, specifically steel wheels with winter tires. When searching for the wheels, none were apparently a direct bolt on/matching bolt pattern. Someone mentioned using spacers to make them fit. So, having never had to use them before, what are they, do they work, and will they break, since to me, not bolting directly onto the hub and having something else in there to orient the wheel seems counterintuitive. Thanks for the help for what is likely a stupid question.

njtaco

Explorer
Here is a recent thread with much information...read every word, there is a wealth of experience in there.

Last edited:

madizell

Explorer
I would have to assume that the wheels you can find with a matching pattern but incorrect back spacing are actually too deep, or have too much back spacing, to work. Otherwise, using a spacer to make them fit makes no sense.

If that is the situation, you can use spacers to make up for the incorrect back spacing, and in doing so, you will probably not change the loads on the bearings always assuming that once mounted, the new rim is situated with relation to the original mounting surface the same as the old rim was, so that the spacer is simply making the wheel fit in its original position -- just taking up space. Another way to look at it is, if the spacer is bolted to the new wheel and not to the axle, the back spacing now comes out right. You should be okay with this.

Spacers can and do work. As with any other man made device, there are limits, and you have to use them correctly. They are not inherently dangerous, and for the most part are far stronger than you might think. I have been using 1.5" aluminum spacers in the rear of my Jeep for several years. Not only do they work without issues, they have yet to loosen up, and I am not nice to the Jeep when off road. 100 pound 37/13/15 Boggers on 10 inch wheels and 300+ HP will put a lot of stress on axle bearings, wheel lugs, and spacers.

The observation is not offered as proof, empirical or otherwise. I understand the nature of fatigue in aluminum, but since I have not even heard of a spacer failing from fatigue, I feel it is a non-issue, just as I don't really give all that much thought to flying in a 50 year old aluminum aircraft, which has been subjected to a great deal more stress in its thin skin than a wheel spacer ever will see. All metals fail from fatigue. However, even the best of science serves us little without some perspective to put it in.

If using spacers is the only way to mount alternate wheels on your vehicle, use them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior