The Plan...

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Dunno if this has been linked yet: thepinktaco's Taco SAS on pirate. He went coils with a dual triangulated 4 link(Bold mine) using an 80 series front axle. Turned out pretty decent I think. Slightly more hardcore than what we're talking about, but maybe some useful info. Says it ended up exactly 6" over stock and looks freaking perfect with the 35s I think, though it even looks good with the 33s (or whatever those are) on it in the first pic.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=544702

-Ferg-

Any word on how he did the steering? (I don't do POoR, not now, not ever.) If it is a conventional cross-over lay-out, he has significant bump-steer. Totally unavoidable in that combo. Could work if push-pull in parallel with the axle control linkage.

Echos of my thoughts on coil-overs. I'm not too keen on the SRE's used and while I've switched 7100's and Fox 2.0's to urethane bushings with great success I'm hesitant to bet a whole front coil spring project on that idea working with significantly more loading on the bushes.

Enter one of the Samurai modification company's gambit, use coil-over springs without the coil-over. That opens up your spring rate choices to nearly infinite. Using an OE application coil works if you're near the same corner weight, motion ratio, and unsprung weight of the OE application. Then the aftermarket options may work. When you're nowhere near any OE application I feel it foolish to confine oneself to OE type springs.
Poke around Eibach's page to see what I mean.
http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe/02917.1.3598577227000023201

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Been searching and searching on pirate and elsewhere and apparently they are just about the same axle...but several FAQs are indicating they are def the same width at ~66".

No kidding. Man I really would like to get all the measurements accurately documented on my site. I've got most of the Cruiser ones nailed down but not the other Toyota applications. I just can't believe that the mid-90's era T100 is the same with as say a 01' Tundra, not to mention the new bigger Tundras.

What about a 100 Series? They will be wide but shouldn't be too much wider than an 80?

digitalferg

Adventurer
No kidding. Man I really would like to get all the measurements accurately documented on my site. I've got most of the Cruiser ones nailed down but not the other Toyota applications. I just can't believe that the mid-90's era T100 is the same with as say a 01' Tundra, not to mention the new bigger Tundras.

What about a 100 Series? They will be wide but shouldn't be too much wider than an 80?

Now that we've got a million different spring rates all documented, perhaps my next lil endeavor could be to accurately measure all sorts of axle widths... :smiley_drive:

I had a thought about the 100 series axle... I don't know much about them though. Are they still a FF design like the 80 series? As the 100 series is 5-lug, could the 80 series FF hubs be swapped in I wonder...? And of course, the width is also a question...

Off to do some more searching...

Dre, have you gotten started on this yet? :sombrero:

-Ferg-

cruiseroutfit

Now that we've got a million different spring rates all documented, perhaps my next lil endeavor could be to accurately measure all sorts of axle widths... :smiley_drive:

I'm game. I've got the perfect measuring device, just need time and the rigs. Shouldn't be too hard, with a few phonecalls to close by customers I bet we could have the majority of them measured up in a few hours.

I had a thought about the 100 series axle... I don't know much about them though. Are they still a FF design like the 80 series? As the 100 series is 5-lug, could the 80 series FF hubs be swapped in I wonder...? And of course, the width is also a question...

Nope, semi-float. The 5 lug is easy to work around, as the pattern was larger it can be re-drilled to match the 6x5.5

...Dre, have you gotten started on this yet? :sombrero:

-Ferg-

No kidding, April is going to come fast!

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Not much add except...

Pretty psyched.. Also got to use the bob cat for snow plowing, beat up vehicle removal, etc.. :)

Attachments

• SM_097.jpg
    SM_097.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 197
  • SM_111.jpg
    SM_111.jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 210
  • SM_118.jpg
    SM_118.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 1,601
  • SM_120.jpg
    SM_120.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 70

journey

Observer
Please document the hell out of the swap. I want to do this and I haven't yet found a guide that seemed to show everything I want to know.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Will do, thanks guys...

Again also I didn't want to change the original posts but things have changed a little. It is going to be less budget oriented than originally shooting for. Pretty much completely opposite where instead I am doing as close to a 100% thorough and even reasonably high dollar build versus my approach before which was as cheap as possile...

Also as cool as the 33 x 10.5 tires were they have already come and gone as I'll be going to 16 or 17" wheels and some other tire size that is probably closer to a 34" tire now by about 11 or 11.5 again part of the deal of making it a slightly more built vehicle than I had originally planned. Particularly versus my massive Ford I am really actually digging the smallness of the vehicle and think it will perform and wheel and do everything I need it to do really well...

So that's it basically for now... More updates shortly. I have been down at the shop yesterday and today and the old Mercedes is all loaded up to get flattened at the crusher in the morning.. :) I pulled some really neat stuff out of it though.. :) I'm also learning a lot from my www.4btswaps.com forum where there are quite a few people that have installed these into different vehicles (mostly Toyotas)...

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Not too much to report except I'm putting a couple days into engine freshening and prep. Details here...

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12288

Also the truck is in the shop now. I pulled and even managed to sell someone the leafs. Supposedly the Emu springs are in (I need to call Kurt about this) and they'll go on soon. Front suspension will be coming very quickly... (next week.. :)

The biggest thing is I have been figuring out how to get the gauges and wiring aspects totally in check so everything functions 100% OEM in the truck and I am close....

Truck appears similar to that last pic except the front clip is off. Engine is out and it is still on jackstands until I get the suspension on...

Attachments

• SM_013.jpg
    SM_013.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 45
  • SM_025.jpg
    SM_025.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 44
  • SM_020.jpg
    SM_020.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 34

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Dre, I have a Snow Performance Methanol injection kit from my supercharged 80. I removed it after I removed the s/c. I'm pretty sure it's complete with the exception of the reservoir tank. I think it has about 5 months of use on it.

I'd be glad to donate it to the cause, let me know...

http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=8

While looking up which model I have, I remembered it's for petrol, not diesel. If you can still use it let me know. It's just taking up room in the garage.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Just this so far... ;)

attachment.php

I still need about a day or two to completely finish the front suspension, when I do I'll post pics and write up. These were some quick ones I took before I left tonight. The driver's side is pretty much completely mocked up. I placed the radius arm where the leaf springs formerly were. I actually had to **inboard** not outboard of all things. Lots and lots of little things to consider and a little hard to keep them all in check all the time. The laser guide has been **huge** for alignment purposes. I should do a cut and turn to get a couple more degrees out of the pinion but because the engine isn't in an I'm worried they might interfere I decided not to as of yet...

So far it has turned out beyond my expectations. I am really really excited about it.

Attached are some teasers... :)

Attachments

• SM_049.jpg
    SM_049.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 34
  • SM_013.jpg
    SM_013.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 41
  • SM_014.jpg
    SM_014.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 44
  • SM_025.jpg
    SM_025.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 3,881
  • SM_033.jpg
    SM_033.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 4,441
  • SM_048.jpg
    SM_048.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 522

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Dre, I have a Snow Performance Methanol injection kit from my supercharged 80. I removed it after I removed the s/c. I'm pretty sure it's complete with the exception of the reservoir tank. I think it has about 5 months of use on it.

I'd be glad to donate it to the cause, let me know...

http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=8

While looking up which model I have, I remembered it's for petrol, not diesel. If you can still use it let me know. It's just taking up room in the garage.

Wow, that would be awesome Jereme! As far as I can tell it looks like it has an adjustment knob for when it kicks in, correct? It looks like the differences between the gas and diesel is maybe just a badge difference as far as I can tell?

cruiseroutfit

Looking great Dre. Those Ballistic Fab coil seats look like a nice fit on there!

Is that at 'ride height'? Whats that caster at?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke