Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a new project...101 FC Maybe?

Default Thinking of a new project...101 FC Maybe?

Does anybody have a line on a FC 101 for sale? The ultimate goal would be something close to this. Most of the newly listed ones on Rovers North have been in the 5-6k range (These are obviously not in that range).

7.3 Super Duty, 4X4, Ext Cab Shortbed, 6 Spd Manual. Hawk FWC
    2006 Jeep Unlimited
    2011 Toyota 4Runner (Hers)

1980 HJ45 Diesel LBP (Sold to some dude in Utah)
    1984 Troopy, ExPo White (Sold to the same dude in Utah that bought my other dream truck)
    Kimberly Kamper (Sold to the Toyota Shaman)

I know nothing about these other than I think they are very cool. Good luck in finding one.
    This thread is about how snobby and elitist ExPo has become, not about EE's forum. Please stay on topic while bashing this forum on this forum.

You really need a Radio Body! Fully enclosed. Plus they are a little easier to handle going down a steep hill.

Put a big 4 banger diesel of your choioce in it and have a blast.

Haven't seen many for sale other than the two you have pics of, Expect that at the $5K range ther's goning to be some rust issues to deal with.
    Cheers!

Keith
    www.rovertracks.com
    The New kid on the block! 1985 Diesel D90 pickup (for a little while)
    RT1 '97 Disco SD (on steroids)
    RT2 '97 Disco XD (built to rock)
    RT110 '97 110 (Getting bigger, badder and better)
    '95 RRC LWB (Sadly it is sold )
    '67 S2a 109 SW (someday I'll finish it)

Some bits of advice:
    1. Buy the nicest one you can afford. The engine and drivetrain on these is not too difficult to find parts for but the body and chassis is unique. I wouldn't even get out of bed to look at one of the $5k ones as it will cost a LOT of money to bring back. Think in the 10-15K range for a GS and well north of there for a radio body as they are rare this side of the pond.Ambis generally go cheaper and make great expedition vehicles.

2. Check the front axle as the chrome knuckles are integral with the axle tube and replacement is a 4 figure number.

3. Join the club. These trucks have an excellent club which has a very active parts remanufacture program. They have stainless fuel tanks to replace the ali one that WILL rot out, new door tops, fluid reservoirs etc. They are looking at new chassis and wiring harnesses among other things.

4. Find one and ask for a test drive. These are military trucks and make no concessions to comfort. Generally you either love em or hate em and most owners are fanatics for the type.

Where have you been looking and how far will you travel to get one? I may have a friend of a friend looking to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie
    Some bits of advice:
    1. Buy the nicest one you can afford. The engine and drivetrain on these is not too difficult to find parts for but the body and chassis is unique. I wouldn't even get out of bed to look at one of the $5k ones as it will cost a LOT of money to bring back. Think in the 10-15K range for a GS and well north of there for a radio body as they are rare this side of the pond.Ambis generally go cheaper and make great expedition vehicles.

I haven't ben able to locate either a radio, or an ambulance to even see a picture of it.

2. Check the front axle as the chrome knuckles are integral with the axle tube and replacement is a 4 figure number.

Do they all have the chrome knuckles?

3. Join the club. These trucks have an excellent club which has a very active parts remanufacture program. They have stainless fuel tanks to replace the ali one that WILL rot out, new door tops, fluid reservoirs etc. They are looking at new chassis and wiring harnesses among other things.

Which club? Do you have a link?

4. Find one and ask for a test drive. These are military trucks and make no concessions to comfort. Generally you either love em or hate em and most owners are fanatics for the type.

Where have you been looking and how far will you travel to get one? I may have a friend of a friend looking to sell.
    Online. Rovers North and fleabay. I'm always up for an adventure in an unproven (To me) rig across some states. Where is he located?

Lastly, thanks everyone for all of your input.
    2006 Jeep Unlimited

1984 Troopy, ExPo White (Sold to the same dude in Utah that bought my other dream truck)

You'll want to talk to this lot at some point.
    http://www.101club.org/index.php

Here's a page with piccies of the different body styles. As a fair warning, if anyone offers you a Vampire and you convert it to a camper the 101 club will send out a lynch mob.

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/101.htm

The one I know of is in Georgia. Let me know if you're interested and I'll contact my friend to see if it's still available.

I also know of a wreck that was selling down in Tucson for about $3500 but, while I stil lhave the pictures, I lost the contact details.

Could you please expand on what a 101 "Vampire" is?
    A link or two would be handy. I tried searching the 101 club's page w/o much luck as a non-member.
    I used to swerve around my hallucinations, now I drive right through them.

I know where there is a vampire and a C303 for sale (both in CA).

Rob
    You don't inherit the world from your parents, you borrow it from your children.
    --------
    1979 Unimog 416 Expedition Camper
    1974 Unimog 421
    2004 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Double Cab, Cummins Turbo Diesel
    2006 25' Airstream International CCD
    2009 Harley Davidson

Sugarloaf, Boulder, CO

Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    Volvo C303

They are equally as cool and probably just as hard to find. Unless you can pull some of your magic.
    2006 Jeep Unlimited

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast