Thinking of a new project...101 FC Maybe?

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Does anybody have a line on a FC 101 for sale? The ultimate goal would be something close to this. Most of the newly listed ones on Rovers North have been in the 5-6k range (These are obviously not in that range).

LR101Ebay.jpg

main_r1_c1.gif

revor

Explorer
You really need a Radio Body! Fully enclosed. Plus they are a little easier to handle going down a steep hill.

Put a big 4 banger diesel of your choioce in it and have a blast.

Haven't seen many for sale other than the two you have pics of, Expect that at the $5K range ther's goning to be some rust issues to deal with.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Some bits of advice:
1. Buy the nicest one you can afford. The engine and drivetrain on these is not too difficult to find parts for but the body and chassis is unique. I wouldn't even get out of bed to look at one of the $5k ones as it will cost a LOT of money to bring back. Think in the 10-15K range for a GS and well north of there for a radio body as they are rare this side of the pond.Ambis generally go cheaper and make great expedition vehicles.

2. Check the front axle as the chrome knuckles are integral with the axle tube and replacement is a 4 figure number.

3. Join the club. These trucks have an excellent club which has a very active parts remanufacture program. They have stainless fuel tanks to replace the ali one that WILL rot out, new door tops, fluid reservoirs etc. They are looking at new chassis and wiring harnesses among other things.

4. Find one and ask for a test drive. These are military trucks and make no concessions to comfort. Generally you either love em or hate em and most owners are fanatics for the type.

Where have you been looking and how far will you travel to get one? I may have a friend of a friend looking to sell.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
greenmeanie said:
Some bits of advice:
1. Buy the nicest one you can afford. The engine and drivetrain on these is not too difficult to find parts for but the body and chassis is unique. I wouldn't even get out of bed to look at one of the $5k ones as it will cost a LOT of money to bring back. Think in the 10-15K range for a GS and well north of there for a radio body as they are rare this side of the pond.Ambis generally go cheaper and make great expedition vehicles.

I haven't ben able to locate either a radio, or an ambulance to even see a picture of it.

2. Check the front axle as the chrome knuckles are integral with the axle tube and replacement is a 4 figure number.

Do they all have the chrome knuckles?

3. Join the club. These trucks have an excellent club which has a very active parts remanufacture program. They have stainless fuel tanks to replace the ali one that WILL rot out, new door tops, fluid reservoirs etc. They are looking at new chassis and wiring harnesses among other things.

Which club? Do you have a link?

4. Find one and ask for a test drive. These are military trucks and make no concessions to comfort. Generally you either love em or hate em and most owners are fanatics for the type.

Where have you been looking and how far will you travel to get one? I may have a friend of a friend looking to sell.

Online. Rovers North and fleabay. I'm always up for an adventure in an unproven (To me) rig across some states. Where is he located?

Lastly, thanks everyone for all of your input.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
You'll want to talk to this lot at some point.
http://www.101club.org/index.php

Here's a page with piccies of the different body styles. As a fair warning, if anyone offers you a Vampire and you convert it to a camper the 101 club will send out a lynch mob.

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/101.htm

The one I know of is in Georgia. Let me know if you're interested and I'll contact my friend to see if it's still available.

I also know of a wreck that was selling down in Tucson for about $3500 but, while I stil lhave the pictures, I lost the contact details.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Could you please expand on what a 101 "Vampire" is?
A link or two would be handy. I tried searching the 101 club's page w/o much luck as a non-member.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
A vampire is a special signals intercept version of the 101 used by 7 (COuld be wrong on that number) signals regiment in the BOAR. Opinions vary but the common quoted number for the production run is 14 vehicles. THey were used for isgnals intercept and triangulation and a whole lot of other classified stuff.

They have far more value to military vehicle collectors than campers.

Here's a link with some more details:
http://www.oldrover.com/101/Vampire/Vampire.htm

TeriAnn

Explorer
101's are tall cobby boxes that are not the most stable vehicles in the world on climbs and descents. They were designed to carry heavy loads cross country and are over sprung for most other uses.

I think the vehicle stability would be increased if the frame middle was stretched about 29 inches for a 130 wheelbase. And I suspect the ride would benefit if the springs were tuned for actual loaded vehicle weight after a camper conversion, and maybe de-arched a little to lower the centre of gravity.

It might be fun to see what kind of camper body you could design to fit behind the cab of a stretched 101. Perhaps a pop up type that drove with the top level with the cab and used 1 hydraulic ram at each corner to raise a hard top upwards for a 7 foot ceiling while camped.

There's a lot you can do with a blank slate of a rolling 101 frame with cab. Ex-Army of the Rhine 101's tend to be LHD and don't command high prices in the UK. And a rolling frame with cab would be less expensive than a complete vehicle.

I also suspect that a Cummins BT6 diesel would probably work quite well in a 101. There's lots you can do with a rolling frame and a bit of imagination.

Never forget real land Rovers are the ultimate vehicle tinker toys.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Dang Jeremy, you are a glutton for punishment.:smilies27

I know how you feel, I am not done with the 80 and I am already looking for the next "project." Good luck with the hunt.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles