Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New MyCube RTT

Default New MyCube RTT

From the same maker of the Kimberley Kamper comes the new MyCube Roof Top Tent.

I like the nose cone storage area, enclosed entrance with an area to store shoes/slippers and the tropical roof (2nd layer for heat reduction). Also has night light option with solar recharging battery. I only question if the zippers will hold up.

http://www.mycube.net.au/

Wow, very neat, I wonder what it would be like in winds. No different than any other RTT I suppose.
    This thread is about how snobby and elitist ExPo has become, not about EE's forum. Please stay on topic while bashing this forum on this forum.

Yes, I noticed it utilizes two support bars rather than three like most others. Will the long side flap?

They might. I know my wildernest did, but that was larger and had a larger sail. If you were to position your vehicle with wind in mind, I think you would be fine.
    This thread is about how snobby and elitist ExPo has become, not about EE's forum. Please stay on topic while bashing this forum on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline503
    Wow, very neat, I wonder what it would be like in winds. No different than any other RTT I suppose.
    Not having a RTT, that brings up a good point. How do the RTT's do in the wind? Worse than a ground tent since they're up in the air or better because they're typically made out of much heavier materials?

I have seen quite a few RTT's and I just can't get away from RackTent.com value offerings. At half the price I bet theirs is as good or better than most RTTs out there.

This is a cool design, but once the cool wears off, what does it really offer for $1750?
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

All cowardice comes from not loving, or not loving well, which is the same thing. EH

Well, $1750 Australian is less than US$1200 right now. As far as value, I do own a racktent (Mombasa Expedition) and would gladly pay the difference between the two if I had the opportunity to swap. The racktent may be a good value but I'm less than impressed with the quality of the material and workmanship.
    Last edited by hoser; 11-09-2008 at 06:37 AM.

WOW! What model do you own? It must be an older one. I looked at a few high end RTT's and just did not see the value. Don't get me wrong - I love quality stuff, but I am not willing to double my expendature unless the value SCREAMS at me. That just was not the case for the RTTs.

While i have not seen this up close, it does look to be inovative. Perhaps it is a screaming value!

racktents.com has a good comparison article to consider. It swayed my thinking!

Of course, if I had hit '6' I might have purchased something different - like an Earth Roamer!
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

All cowardice comes from not loving, or not loving well, which is the same thing. EH

pskhaat is offline Expedition Portal Moderator 2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenjager
    ...once the cool wears off, what does it really offer for $1750?
    You might not know it but I'm pretty darned skeptical of anything with $ involved. That said, I did see value in my RTT even at one of the priciest RTTs there likely is.

It was for these reasons:
    1. Wife & kids off the desert floor,
    2. Wife will consider camping,
    3. It ain't the easiest thing to set up but a lot quicker than any ground tent IMO,
    4. I take into account the salvage value on resell and divide that by the number of nights where otherwise I may have had to get a hotel with the fam. Let's even talk about a whopping $1000 spread even at a small 5 nights per year over 2 years about breaks me even. I'm not as fortunate as others on this board with my exploring schedule, but I consider I've well paid for my RTT in alternate costs.
    Pskhaat (Scott)
    UZJ100 "Mama Kuiser" built to look cool for the soccer mom
    FZJ80 über rare "Geen", cloth'd & locked

That underside entrance is brilliant and exactly what every other RTT lacks. Worth the extra cash for that alone, in my opinion. Or maybe none of you camp in the rain?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast