New MyCube RTT

hoser

Explorer
From the same maker of the Kimberley Kamper comes the new MyCube Roof Top Tent.

I like the nose cone storage area, enclosed entrance with an area to store shoes/slippers and the tropical roof (2nd layer for heat reduction). Also has night light option with solar recharging battery. I only question if the zippers will hold up.

http://www.mycube.net.au/

EA5V9046-for-web.jpg

EA5V8889-cropped-cutout.jpg

EA5V9066-view-of-frog-mouth.jpg

EA5V8977-nose-pod.jpg

hoser

Explorer
Yes, I noticed it utilizes two support bars rather than three like most others. Will the long side flap?

adrenaline503

Explorer
They might. I know my wildernest did, but that was larger and had a larger sail. If you were to position your vehicle with wind in mind, I think you would be fine.

dnellans

Adventurer
adrenaline503 said:
Wow, very neat, I wonder what it would be like in winds. No different than any other RTT I suppose.

Not having a RTT, that brings up a good point. How do the RTT's do in the wind? Worse than a ground tent since they're up in the air or better because they're typically made out of much heavier materials?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I have seen quite a few RTT's and I just can't get away from RackTent.com value offerings. At half the price I bet theirs is as good or better than most RTTs out there.

This is a cool design, but once the cool wears off, what does it really offer for $1750?
:Wow1:

hoser

Explorer
Well, $1750 Australian is less than US$1200 right now. As far as value, I do own a racktent (Mombasa Expedition) and would gladly pay the difference between the two if I had the opportunity to swap. The racktent may be a good value but I'm less than impressed with the quality of the material and workmanship.

Last edited:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
WOW! What model do you own? It must be an older one. I looked at a few high end RTT's and just did not see the value. Don't get me wrong - I love quality stuff, but I am not willing to double my expendature unless the value SCREAMS at me. That just was not the case for the RTTs.

While i have not seen this up close, it does look to be inovative. Perhaps it is a screaming value!

racktents.com has a good comparison article to consider. It swayed my thinking!

Of course, if I had hit '6' I might have purchased something different - like an Earth Roamer!

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Schattenjager said:
...once the cool wears off, what does it really offer for $1750?

You might not know it but I'm pretty darned skeptical of anything with $ involved. That said, I did see value in my RTT even at one of the priciest RTTs there likely is.

It was for these reasons:
  1. Wife & kids off the desert floor,
  2. Wife will consider camping,
  3. It ain't the easiest thing to set up but a lot quicker than any ground tent IMO,
  4. I take into account the salvage value on resell and divide that by the number of nights where otherwise I may have had to get a hotel with the fam. Let's even talk about a whopping $1000 spread even at a small 5 nights per year over 2 years about breaks me even. I'm not as fortunate as others on this board with my exploring schedule, but I consider I've well paid for my RTT in alternate costs.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
That underside entrance is brilliant and exactly what every other RTT lacks. Worth the extra cash for that alone, in my opinion. Or maybe none of you camp in the rain?

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
transientmechanic said:
That underside entrance is brilliant and exactly what every other RTT lacks. Worth the extra cash for that alone, in my opinion. Or maybe none of you camp in the rain?

Not quite accurate. Eezi-Awn and ARB both off this feature on some models.

hoser

Explorer
24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
Not quite accurate. Eezi-Awn and ARB both off this feature on some models.
What I do like is the horizontal front door though it might be a bit tricky to zip it closed after a few. Would give the feeling of more interior room and a place to put shoes. The ARB tent's front "door" is near vertical. Not sure how it is on the Eezi-Awn T-top nor Overzone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles