7 way RV plug wiring??

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I am trying the wire a 7 way rv plug. Does anyone have a diagram? I have found two differant ones. I am using it for a gooseneck. with backup lights. I need to do it this weekend. Thank you.

TheRoadie

Explorer
What's the difference between the two you found? I've never seen anything different than the one called the "Bargman standard".

bargman.gif

and http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

eugene

Explorer
there isn't one for sure standard, every manufacturer seems to have some differences. For example the center on mine is for reverse lights.

TheRoadie

Explorer
I agree: The center on the Bargman 7-pin is used for backup lights on every RV trailer I've owned, and any vehicles I've seen that have come pre-wired. Even though it says "aux" on many diagrams.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
eugene said:
there isn't one for sure standard, every manufacturer seems to have some differences. For example the center on mine is for reverse lights.

The wiring diagram is a standard for the seven pin plug, as far as positions go. Although manufactures may have different color wire going to the pins.

The center is the only position that is optional, in as far as, it may not be used at all, it may be used for reverse lights, or it may have some custom application.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
Since the center post looks like it can carry a large wire then the rest of them. Can I run a larger power feed wire for the camper battery? If the gooseneck takes a power feed, wire the gooseneck to the center post also? I have read that I need at least a 10ga power feed from the alternator. The power as listed will not take that large of wire.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Capt Eddie said:
Since the center post looks like it can carry a large wire then the rest of them. Can I run a larger power feed wire for the camper battery? If the gooseneck takes a power feed, wire the gooseneck to the center post also? I have read that I need at least a 10ga power feed from the alternator. The power as listed will not take that large of wire.

Most vehicles have 10 gauge running to the 12 volt terminal on the socket. If you are wiring your own you need either to have the line fused or with a breaker in it.

If you really want a good charge back to your battery you should run 4 or 6 gauge in a dedicated run.

njtaco

Explorer
The battery positive lead is only as good as the battery negative lead...doubling up on only one or the other will not increase capacity. If you need that much more power, run an auxiliary plug just for that. Don't depend on the coupling between the vehicles or safety chains/cables for the ground circuit. (Don't laugh, Martyn, you know you have seen it, too!)

I usually run either 10 or 12 ga from the battery to the plug, and the same on the trailer end. That is for both pos and neg, by the way. If you need more capacity than that, consider more battery capacity in the trailer.

my 2c...

On edit, I'd use the "bargman standard" whenever possible on anything up to and including a one-ton truck or van. The colors on the vehicle side matters less than the locations, as others have said. We are talking about a "gooseneck" trailer being towed by your pickup truck, right?

Last edited:

Bogo

Adventurer
Martyn said:
If you really want a good charge back to your battery you should run 4 or 6 gauge in a dedicated run.
Yep, and use something like an Anderson connector that provides both charge current and ground. You need contacts that can take high amperage for hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior