Spring lift versus new OME springs?

Spenser

Adventurer
I posted this over on the jeep side, since it is for a jeep, but thought that the string I remembered reading was folks with LR's, so please dont flmae me, just looking for assistance. Specifically, having some issues with the spring lift that I installed on my Commander. Specifically, the truck isnt as "stable" in the passenger compartment, and feels kind of "whippy" at highway speeds. I have put more air in the tires, thinking that was part of it but now suspect that it is spring lift using the factory springs. I have the HD shocks, and it was fine until the lift. So, I remember reading thread either here or EE where folks had removed the spring lift and replaced with the OME or similar springs. Curious as to whether that solved the problem and helped with handling issues? I know what it will improve the carry capacity. Thanks for any experience or input before I either pull the lift and go back to stock or replace with OME.

revor

Explorer
Generally speaking taller springs will have a bit stiffer spring rate to offset the higher center of gravity.
While Spring spacers have their place I think they should be used to "balance" the ride height of the front or rear of the vehicle when used in conjunction with HD Springs.

My $.02

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Agreed. You've raised the center of gravity without increase the spring rate (and thus the roll stiffness). Heavier springs will help reduce the roll, though HD dampers are also very helpful and you already have those...

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Spring spacers are not for a stock sprung vehicle, no matter what the vehicle, they should not be used, without HD springs. Think of the extra leverage your putting on stock springs. Couple that with a larger tire, it doesn't go anywhere good. Especially for a DD.

Spenser

Adventurer
Thanks gentlemen-lesson learned. I believed what I had read about the stock springs being strong enough to work with the system. ARB folks straightened that out pretty quick when I discussed with them. Ordered the OME's to fix the problem.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Wait, are the HD shocks you mentioned an aftermarket HD shock, or factory "HD" shocks? If they're factory HD's... they are often tuned to "feel" HD, but not actually *be* HD. So those don't help your handling.

As for the stock springs being "firm enough" to work with the spacers... That depends on what your expectations are. Some people are fine with the result. Lowered expectations... You're not happy, and firmer springs should help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke