Adding a Mantec Snorkel to a Land Rover Lightweight

telwyn

Adventurer
Thanks to the nice deal from Nathan at Pangea when he was selling a few things in his garage sale, I decided to see if I could make his Mantec Defender Snorkel fit my Lightweight.

I'll let you be the judge, but I think so far so good.

Had to mount to the top of the hood as it wouldn't fit the side as it should, but it still works nicely. Exterior is done, just have to finish under the hood.

Will get a silicon air hose (any suggestions where to buy?) to run from the Mantec to the carb and will install a Defender style inline cylindrical air filter with a K&N. Will post those pics when I get it done.

Attachments

• 127_1259.jpg
    127_1259.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 127_1260.jpg
    127_1260.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 127_1261.jpg
    127_1261.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 127_1262.jpg
    127_1262.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 127_1263.jpg
    127_1263.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 44

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I think I'd have gone in through the side of the bonnet (where I plan to put mine), but looks decent. The main thing is if it does what you want, then that's all that matters.
I need to check the cfm flow of the Defender filter to make sure it meets the needs of my diesel. I'm sure it does though. I can't imagine a V8 needing less than a 2.25 even if it is a diesel.

telwyn

Adventurer
Yeah, I tried to go through the side, but the problem was that the coupler on the snorkel has thick curved plastic that causes the hose to curve into the side of the bonnet rather than go straight up.

A Defender side is straight up and down whereas the Lightweight hood gets narrower as you go higher so you would have ended up with a snorkel that was straight up but the hose would do a weird S over the hood...

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Telwyn,

I think I would have opted for the stock raised air intake or sourced the pieces to do the factory mount in addition to the Defender pieces... it should really only matter what you think about it.

:archaeolo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles