What do people think of the 1996 Isuzu trooper?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I've done some research and reliability seems good, and crashworthiness seems acceptable (probably add a bullbar)

Is this the model that Scott Brady owns/owned?

thinking about one for my wife's DD and for a possible family camping rig, as an alternative to my 2 door jeep. We're expecting the reletively dismal 17-23mpg, so no worries about that charactoristic.(we accept that as a good number for a real 4x4)

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
I love them, I say go for it and don't be afraid to build it... ARB and OME will have your back.

trooper_flex_jpg_jpg.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Mine was a 1998. One of the best vehicles I have ever owned.

My Uncle had a 1996, and he, then my cousin put a combined 200,000 miles on it.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I too had a 98 and it was by far my favorite of 10+ vehicles I have owned. The 98 and up models had the more powerful 3.5v6, but it was basically the same as the 3.2 in the 96. A great and relable car. I traded mine in in May for something more economical (was driving 80+ miles a day round trip and gas was at 3.80 a gallon and going up). It had about 170K on it and it still ran great. The only problems I had with it were the starter died on me at around 90K and the transmission gave up on me at almost 150K. It had the original OEM bakes until about 175K when I had to change the pads and rotors. Just keep your eye on the oil level and you can keep on driving it for pretty much forever.

Momrocks

Adventurer
*Disclaimer* I have never owner one.

Most I have been around have had a ravenous appetite for oil. Good looking, nice comfort and ride. They were spendy when new but prices have been bottomed out for awhile, so it adds up to good value today. They were on my short list a year ago but I decided against a Trooper for several reasons. Had I decided to go with one, I am sure I would have been satisfied enough.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
thanks for all the replies...there's actually one parked outside my work today. I"m gonna see if i can find the owner and poke around inside...

regards,
Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz