Undecided on Auxiliary Lighting

ChrisInVT

Adventurer
So I'm shopping around for some auxiliary lighting for my Lumina... I was originally going to get some $100 KC Daylighters since I'm very impressed with their performance on my truck, but I really wanted some Lightforce 170's. Since I can't justify the price of the 170's I looked around a bit more. I found some 180MM Roo Lights (The Lightforce knock-offs) for $185 which doesn't seem bad, but I also haven't seen much for their reviews either. I saw that hrjaw was selling some 2 year old 170's without the wiring for $150 (link), but I'd rather have something new. After doing a bit more searching, I found some 6" Slimline 100w IPF lights for $117 which seems like a really good price.

These are going to mainly be used with my high-beams for the country roads that I drive on.

Thoughts/opinions?

Last edited:

ChrisInVT

Adventurer
R_Lefebvre said:
Why not some Hella FF1000's for ~120?

I saw some on Amazon sold individually for around $65. They seem kinda "blingy" and I'd like to be lazy and have something come with a wiring harness. I'll have to check them out further.

I really like the idea of the "Combo beam" filter I can get for the Lightforce/Roo Lights though.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Don't know why they're blingy. They work well for the price. They should come with a harness, mine did. Though I generally don't use the harnesses.

computeruser

Explorer
The FF1000s are OK, but not anywhere near exciting with the 55w bulbs in 'em; I think I liked the 500 series driving light better, honestly. I've got a pair of 968s still in the box, waiting to be swapped into the Hella's current position.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I really love my 968's and did a review on them a few years back. Worth every penny I paid for them and they have never been less then flawless.

However, on my last trip down south I picked up a pair of cheap $100 (each) HID's at Checkers in Montana. I just couldn't resist making the jump to HIDs since I have been planning to convert the 968s for a while anyways.

Although I haven't installed them yet because they are too deep for my ARB bumper (when using the stock mounting holes the back of the light hits the grill - I'll figure something out when I have time and my bumper could pull out a bit too) I did do a bunch of campsite testing and was quite impressed. Bright white light, solid construction and it throws a decent pattern.

Take a read of the post called $100 HID's. Well worth investigating.

Pete

mrbishi

Adventurer
I've got Lightforce 240s on the front bar and Roolite 180s on the roof rack - very happy with both. Indestructible lights and great output !

ChrisInVT

Adventurer
Well I purchased the IPF's for my car, hopefully I'll like 'em.

I didn't want to get the $100 HIDs due to the fact that I'm going to be running these with my high beams, and I know how much HIDs love being shut off and on after the bulbs have warmed up.

madizell

Explorer
ChrisInVT said:
I didn't want to get the $100 HIDs due to the fact that I'm going to be running these with my high beams, and I know how much HIDs love being shut off and on after the bulbs have warmed up.

HID does not have an issue with repeated cycling IF you purchase later generation ballasts and exciters. Look around at some of the websites that sell HID products and you will find that there are about three classes of equipment, depending on where it is made. Japanese and European products are high quality, and can be turned on and off repeatedly with no ill effect. Certainly the bulb itself does not care. However, the less expensive ballasts and exciters, often made in China or Korea, can't take cycling, and some of them won't even allow for it, and have to go through a cool-down cycle before they will fire back up, not unlike sodium street lamps.

With HID, you pretty much get what you pay for. Consider that a single HID lamp from a high quality source retails for $90+/- and you start to put $100 HID lights into context. So, it isn't the "HID" lights that can't be cycled. Most can. Once warmed up, mine cycle instantaneously and have been triggered by my high beam circuit now for 6 years without issues. But many of the really cheap ones won't take it or won't take it for long.

ChrisInVT

Adventurer
Yeah, cycling those $100 HID lights would kill them quickly. I was considering those for my truck before I purchased the lights I have on there now, and didn't go with them because of the cycling issue.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Those $100 lights cycle instantaneously after the first 3 second warm up (one warm up seems to last a long time). No issues and I played with them for a few hours on and off constantly in test.

Until I hear of failures to the contrary, I see this as a dead issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior