Mounting a Pullpal...

jsmoriss

Explorer
So I bought a few of those FourTreks clamps for the roof rack, roll bars, and tire carrier. The ones on the roof rack will be good for a shovel and axe, while I think I can use either the roll bar or tire carrier clamps for the Pull-Pal...

js.

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
tdesanto said:
I like it. Could you post a couple more close-ups of how it's mounted to the roof rack?

On the truck's left side, the Pull-Pal's hinged end mounts in a section of channel that I've secured to my roof rack ladder.

3049350574_cd15530695.jpg

A single bolt through this channel passes between the Pull-Pal's hinged sections. Because the two sections are of different thickness, I fabbed an offset spacer to use as a washer.

3049350548_ce12cc7a38.jpg

From the side, you can see a little more of how this bracket attaches to the ladder, using Coleman Racing roll bar brackets.

3048510491_7341dd8ffd.jpg

On the right side, I attached a tab to my jerry can mount (which is also fixed to that side's ladder with the Coleman Racing brackets.

3049350650_072dd662b4.jpg

Bolted to that tab is an aluminum dowel, which passes through the Pull-Pal's winch attachment hole.

3048510589_c7c47206e6.jpg

cactusjk

Explorer
Looking for pictures using Fourtreks mounts on a FJC with a ARB bull bar. Specifically, I want to mount it using the same rings I use for my Hi Lift with the Pull Pal on top of the bar and on its side so it doesn't obstruct the view.

Last edited:

dp7197

Adventurer
I finally just bought a used Pelican case and used 4 bolts/square nuts to attach it to my AEV rack. Once tightened down it doesn't move an inch. It holds my Pull Pal, D-handle shovel, axe, machete, bow saw, tree strap, and shackle bracket. It is 5" too short for my sand flag I just needed.

Attachments

• pelican 2.jpg
    pelican 2.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 76
  • pelican 1.jpg
    pelican 1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 70

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Reviving an old thread because I have decided that the only way I am always going to have my Pull-Pal with me is to mount the spade on the roof rack. I can carry the beam inside the shell on my Power Wagon, but the RW14000 spade is just so cumbersome that I often leave the whole thing at home. I can probably fab up a way to keep it on the rack, but I'm getting lazy in my dotage so I'd rather just buy some bits that would allow me to carry the spade flat on my ORU/Smitty Defender rack. Being both lazy and paranoid, I want a mount that will allow me to padlock the spade to the rack. Anyone seen something interesting?

Wendell-R

PullPal makes a mount that can be used on a rack - it may be designed for an upright mount on that back bumper, but I welded a couple of flat brackets on each end to mount it to my rack with. Had to use a cable and padlock, but I have the spade with holes in it, so that worked out. You might be able to drill holes for a padlock in the clamping nuts which have levers on them (I painted mine red).

Reviving an old thread because I have decided that the only way I am always going to have my Pull-Pal with me is to mount the spade on the roof rack. I can carry the beam inside the shell on my Power Wagon, but the RW14000 spade is just so cumbersome that I often leave the whole thing at home. I can probably fab up a way to keep it on the rack, but I'm getting lazy in my dotage so I'd rather just buy some bits that would allow me to carry the spade flat on my ORU/Smitty Defender rack. Being both lazy and paranoid, I want a mount that will allow me to padlock the spade to the rack. Anyone seen something interesting?

Attachments

• DSCF1167.jpg
    DSCF1167.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF1168.jpg
    DSCF1168.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF1169.jpg
    DSCF1169.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 43

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Thanks. I had seen that mount on the Pull-Pal site and on another website, but it's not quite what I need. I am actually trying to avoid mounting the beam on the roof rack because it would be almost impossible to remove it without carrying a ladder, which is just one more piece of gear that I don't want in the truck. I'd like to carry the beam in the bed of the truck (inside the shell), and mount only the spade on the roof. My spade is the larger one with no holes, but I might just have to drill a couple.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Well, I think I have figured out what I'm going to do with the Pull-Pal, but not enough time to fab things before the next trip. Will probably carry the beam sideways on the outside rear of the roof rack, so that I can stand on the tailgate to deploy it. The spade looks like I can carry it on top of my stack of MaxTrax that are already on the rack. Width of the RW1400 spade is a little greater than the width of the Maxtrax, so it will nest nicely on top of the stack and be padlocked onto a couple of studs.

My temporary solution for the upcoming trip is an electronic keyboard case by Gator that I found on Amazon. The case is their 76-Note Slim (GKB-76SLIM). Width is perfect for the RW14000 spade, and length is a little more than I need, but it will work. Case holds the complete Pull-Pal and has enough room for stuff like a cable damper, gloves, recovery straps etc. It has internal velcro straps that cinch everything down, and I will strap it to the top of my cross-bed tool box in the bed of the truck. Not a permanent solution because I often need that space for other gear, but it works for this trip. Bonus is that the case is near perfect for a stack of MaxTrax and a couple of recovery IMG_2474.jpgIMG_2477.jpgstraps, so will eventually go into the other truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles