Brad's Consolidated King Kamper Trailer Thread

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Great thread Brad ... and awesome setup. I'm jealous!!!

Thanks Rob. The new camera should kick up the quality of this thread considerably. :sombrero:

We should look for an oportunity to get your family out "Glamping". :sombrero:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
How did you mount/secure it?

The Qwik awning has a an 18" velcro strip already sewn onto the underside of the awning. KK makes the LED strip that has the built in matching velcro strip so you just stick it up there and route the power cord to the 12V socket on the front Gullwing.

My sister was just in Australia so I had her swing by 5 Star Camping which is a KK dealer and bring it back in her suitcase to save the shipping cost.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Nice move!

The Qwik awning has a an 18" velcro strip already sewn onto the underside of the awning. KK makes the LED strip that has the built in matching velcro strip so you just stick it up there and route the power cord to the 12V socket on the front Gullwing.

My sister was just in Australia so I had her swing by 5 Star Camping which is a KK dealer and bring it back in her suitcase to save the shipping cost.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Very nice.
Do happen to know the brand of the chairs in this photo. The one on the right there
Feb052009070.jpg

Thanks,
Matt

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Very nice.
Do happen to know the brand of the chairs in this photo. The one on the right there
Feb052009070.jpg

Thanks,
Matt

Those are Alps Mountaineering. I have had two for the last couple years and really like them. They only fold flat so you need the space to carry them but they are very well made. I got them at Sportman's Warehouse.

Rob O

Adventurer
We should look for an oportunity to get your family out "Glamping". :sombrero:

Indeed! I'm hoping we can find time over summer to get in a few trips, so maybe we can pull something together.

This weekend is a good example of why we never seem to be able to get away from it all: both of my boys have soccer matches (rec league, which they do between competitive league seasons); then both boys have tryouts for competitive (next soccer season); my oldest is also in a two-day chess tournament (qualifier for regionals); my 7 y/o has a birthday party in there somewhere; I need to install our new dishwasher ... and then there's the usual list of crap around the house that doesn't get done during the week (which is spent between work and shuttling kids to practices, the 2 y/o's swim lessons, etc). Ugh.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Just another weekend camp

Some friends and me on Mt Lemmon over Memorial Day weekend.

It was foggy and rainy the first day.

545633516_FKPeY-XL.jpg

But cleared up nicley the rest of the weekend.

545640873_gSDfF-XL.jpg

545645987_mRc2v-XL.jpg

545638384_vtyBr-XL.jpg

View of Tucson from hilltop near camp.

545639310_pYAYP-XL.jpg

seanz0rz

Adventurer
that tent setup is bigger than my apartment! and much much nicer! NICE!!!

how do you find the larger trailer handles offroad?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
that tent setup is bigger than my apartment! and much much nicer! NICE!!!

how do you find the larger trailer handles offroad?

Thanks. The KK tracks perfectly in the same tracks as my 4Runner. The CG is very low on this trailer so it is very stable in off camber situations. The frame and independent suspension is built like a tank. I have had no problems towing it through a wide variety of both slow speed crawling and high speed sand wash cruising. For me, it's a perfect fit. I wouldn't change a thing. :sombrero:

To be fair, I wouldn't tow it through the Rubicon like you can an AT but for the type of back country mining roads and washes I like to travel, it works great.

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
wood stove

I like the use of the wood stove for winter camping. does the KK come with a stove jack or did you have that added? If added, where did it come from?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I like the use of the wood stove for winter camping. does the KK come with a stove jack or did you have that added? If added, where did it come from?

The KK has two different zip on porches. The summer Qwik awning is just a smaller porch that stays zipped on and packs away with the tent when folded shut.

For the winter, you have the larger 10' X 20' porch that allows the side canvas walls to be set up and also has the stove jack built into it from the factory (at least on the US models).

It is great to be able to use the wood stove in the winter but the set up is significant enough, I only do it if I plan to set up a base camp and stay put for a few days or longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior