Best Hot cocoa

spressomon

Expedition Leader
6Pins said:
I prefer the hot chocolate that you find in Hispanic groceries. It comes in large bars like baking chocolate, and you drop it in milk, and bring both to a low simmer. Works fine in my JetBoil.

When I heat milk in my JetBoil it scorches the bottom of the JB. How do you get around it?

SWDesertTaco

Adventurer
I'm kinda picky when it comes to my hot cocoa.

A few that I've used in the past that are not full of preservatives and loaded with sugar.

This one is excellent tho a little pricey:
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/S...nt2=287620186&ProductID=8&Target=products.asp

I grew up drinking this next one; a twist of nutmeg sometimes pushed it over the top for richness.
Pre-frothed milk makes it even better:
http://www.mexgrocer.com/2550.html

And recently I've found the fair trade hot cocoa from whole foods and trader joes are really good. More cocoa and less sugar. Excellent flavor.

MisterTinkle

Adventurer
ThomD said:
My wife cares very much about the quality of her chocolate. She drinks ghirardelli hot chocolate.

hotcocoa_doublechoc.jpg

Yup. Good stuff.

I like this recipe (adjust for your taste):

1 tbsp. dutch cocoa
1 tbsp. sugar
1 cup hot whole milk

Adding a dash of vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, or ground mexican chili powder can really add depth to the flavor. Of course, adding schnapps can be a great evening drink!

For the best chocolate/cocoa, find a local spice shop. Here in the Denver, CO area we have a local business, Savory Spice Shop. It is a sensory overload when I visit!

Last edited:

Crookthumb

Adventurer
I too do not drink coffee, I also don't drink tea. So my choices for hot drinks are usually hot chocolate, cider, or wassail. My wife got my into this Williams-Sonoma hot chocolate. Has a real creamy texture.

img10m.jpg

Warm 1 cup milk or light cream on medium-low heat.
Whisk in 5 tbs chocolate shavings.
Pour in warmed mug and enjoy.

I enjoy both flavors. The peppermint isn't overwehlming. I need to try frothing the milk/cream.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I haven't made hot cocoa from a packet (other than to try a few that were all nasty) in at least 30 years, it's just too easy to make from scratch.
How I've been making it in that time:
(amounts vary slightly depending on the size of your cup/mug and how rich you like it)
  1. Put milk on to heat (not boil)
  2. Put about 1 Tbs maple syrup in your mug
  3. Add about 1 tsp cocoa powder
  4. Stir until mixed, about the consistency of chocolate syrup
  5. Add hot milk and stir.

Superu

Explorer
Always from scratch

Since I have a family member with a severe nut allergy and many of the prepackaged items are packed in facilities with nuts, on shared equipment, etc., we always just take the extra time to make it from scratch for the whole family.

1 part 1/2 & 1/2 or light cream to 1 part whole milk
Williams Sonoma dutched cocoa - to taste
Confectioner's sugar - to taste
Madacascar vanilla - tiny amount is all that's needed.
Vermont maple syrup - dash per cup

Cinnamon & shaved chocolate for topping if so inclined. Sometime we go traditional with the jet puffed marshmallows! :coffee:

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Great ideas in this thread. I am going to have to give a few a try. I have experimented with a few similar ideas as the dark chocolate and milk, and they all have come out great. I do like adding a little vanilla and cinnamon in mine too.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Antichrist said:
I haven't made hot cocoa from a packet (other than to try a few that were all nasty) in at least 30 years, it's just too easy to make from scratch.
How I've been making it in that time:
(amounts vary slightly depending on the size of your cup/mug and how rich you like it)
  1. Put milk on to heat (not boil)
  2. Put about 1 Tbs maple syrup in your mug
  3. Add about 1 tsp cocoa powder
  4. Stir until mixed, about the consistency of chocolate syrup
  5. Add hot milk and stir.
I tried this and it is very good.:1888fbbd:

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
I love Stephen's Gourmet Sipping Cocoa, Mint Truffle or Raspberry, the first time I tried it was in a store and I looked suspiciously at the lady and said "You made this with half-n-half didn't you?" Turns out it was just hot water.

But if you simply must do it from scratch. A nice Dutch Cocoa (I like the Ghiradelli cocoa too) and follow the recipe on the container EXCEPT use honey instead of sugar to sweeten. I have used the recipe where you melt semi-sweet chocolate chips in milk, but it takes a lot of stirring and for camping the clean up is terrible, especially if the cup and pan get cold before you have a chance to clean them.

My sister-in-law drinks the plain unsweetened cocoa in milk, yuck! But then she also drinks a teaspoon of Marmite in a cup of hot water.

OTR

Adventurer
The best Hot Cocolate is with and addition of a 1/2 shot of Bailey's and 1/2 shot of Drambuie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94