Spacekaps? as campers? pics?

sleepywheel

I've emptied out my Maranda box and moved all my tools into a Promaster van. Now I have to decide what to do with this box, should I put windows in the sides and camperize it or sell it and buy a popup camper like an Outfitter or Hallmark? I'll never be able to a nice a job as a factory camper and I like the lower overall height of a popup, so I'm leaning in that direction.

Attachments

• Maranda V325.JPG
    Maranda V325.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 101

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I've emptied out my Maranda box and moved all my tools into a Promaster van. Now I have to decide what to do with this box, should I put windows in the sides and camperize it or sell it and buy a popup camper like an Outfitter or Hallmark? I'll never be able to a nice a job as a factory camper and I like the lower overall height of a popup, so I'm leaning in that direction.

Nah, don't waste your time and money on that old thing, get a nice pop up so you aren't pushing air down the road! Now, how to get rid of that old shell, PM me and I'll give you my address and a give you something for it and enough to ship it to me ;)

Seriously, depends on what you want, but if I already had that shell it would be converted by the middle of August! Give till next year and it would have a pop up in the roof!

jdlobb

Adventurer
View attachment 209408View attachment 209409View attachment 209410View attachment 209411View attachment 209412View attachment 209413View attachment 209413View attachment 209414 View attachment 233429 Picked up the KAP in Fredericton for $600 and i added windows and had it painted at Dundas Auto Body in Cambridge Ontario , i fish all over northern Ontario in it, it has a 110 plug in and 2 large US 2000 6 volt deep cycle agm batteries and noco genius G26000 auto charging system

That is a pretty sweet setup you've got there!

appleyard77

September fishing trip

SEPT FISHING TRIP 2013 109.jpggenerator 007.jpggenerator 008.jpggenerator 011.jpg i'm heading up north for 3 weeks beginning september 1st not sure where i will end up last year was the city of red lake ontario. I added a step an two options, extra fuel or a small generator to top up my batteries because provincial parks are up to $50 a night for hydro sites thanks to the liberals. also added a Nicro day / night plus solar vent and two small led spots lights above licence plate

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
View attachment 242355View attachment 242356View attachment 242358View attachment 242360 i'm heading up north for 3 weeks beginning september 1st not sure where i will end up last year was the city of red lake ontario. I added a step an two options, extra fuel or a small generator to top up my batteries because provincial parks are up to $50 a night for hydro sites thanks to the liberals. also added a Nicro day / night plus solar vent and two small led spots lights above licence plate

Really good looking set up. I'm looking at picking up a lower profile spacekap that I can transfer between two trucks and a trailer depending upon where I'm going or what I'm doing. Yours is giving me some good ideas.

Planning on any fishing around thunder bay or chapleau Ontario areas? Your first pic reminds me of chapleau/wawa/hwy 129/101 areas with that sandy soil.

appleyard77

just on my way back from Edson Alberta stopped in the lake of the woods on the way out and back , sitting at the a&w in white river Ont, now and heading for Horwood lake today.

robin_doner

Good afternoon all, I just picked up a spacekap diablo here in Denver Colorado. Its a 8' Diablo with a 60/40 rear door. I'm looking for ideas to set it up. I am currently selling my starcraft starblazer. Its a bit too heavy for me and the interior setup just isn't great. I do environmental research and am working in the San Juans and Sangre De Cristos of Colorado for the next year. I am planning on possibly carrying my trials bike inside the camper. Any ideas for setting up windows, sourcing parts etc would be greatly appreciated. Photos Fairly soon

sleepywheel

I'd like to see your pictures and if you could pass on where you're getting the parts like windows for it. I've got the 6 1/2' Maranda that I want to convert.

appleyard77

i got my windows from a teardrop trailer parts dealer mainly because i needed a custom inner trim ring for the 1/4" WALLS, his web page is teardroptrailerparts.com [Vintage Technologies]

robin_doner

updates on spacekap

So I ended up with a spacekap plus. I was told it was a diablo, but having an external box for me this winter is better. I spoke with a topper dealer and I'm going to install a 70" window along the passenger side. I can get a used one for 75-100$. Depending on how heinous that is I might put in a moon roof later. The wiring was slightly damaged and disconnected and took a bit of swearing to get it wired for my needs. Thanks for the idea for glass from a tear drop trailer supplier will have to look into that. More updates from the south san juans and wolf creek pass next week.

robin_doner

Hi Sleepy Wheel. When I have a chance I will forward photos when I put in my first window. I can tell already that to use it as a 4 season camper it will need a roof vent to deal with condensation. I looks like your box is similar to mine and maybe we could bounce ideas off each other. So far I have been using a catalytic heater olympic 6 with -6C nights and just picked up a 12volt fan to help circulate the heat. I should be trying to install a window probably in the next month and will most likely put in more than one and will let you know what works best.WP_20141003_10_14_32_Pro.jpg

sleepywheel

robin_doner, that would be much appreciated. Are you going to insulate the inside? I'm thinking of using the reflective type insulation that's available in rolls from Home Depot, it's only about 3/8" thick and could easily be glued to the fiberglass. I've got a Fantastic Fan that I'm going to install and want to put two long windows along the side and a window in each door. The problem I have is that the roof and the sides are not flat so I don't have any idea on how to seal the fan housing and where to get windows that have a slight curve to them.

I've looked at the site suggested by appleyard77 but none of those windows fit what I want. The local guys want ~$400 for each window which is way out of my budget range.

Looking forward to see what and how you do your mods!:beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne