Spacekaps? as campers? pics?

robin_doner

robin_doner, that would be much appreciated. Are you going to insulate the inside? I'm thinking of using the reflective type insulation that's available in rolls from Home Depot, it's only about 3/8" thick and could easily be glued to the fiberglass. I've got a Fantastic Fan that I'm going to install and want to put two long windows along the side and a window in each door. The problem I have is that the roof and the sides are not flat so I don't have any idea on how to seal the fan housing and where to get windows that have a slight curve to them.

I've looked at the site suggested by appleyard77 but none of those windows fit what I want. The local guys want ~$400 for each window which is way out of my budget range.

Looking forward to see what and how you do your mods!:beer:

Hi Sleepy Wheel,
I just put in 2 weeks above 3,000 meters with night temps down to -12C in Colorado. I have a catalytic heater that I have been using but I found that a fan to circulate the air is necessary. Wiring that in when I have a chance. Also a roof vent will be necessary to get rid of the condensation, I had plenty of ice building up on the inside at night. For windows I am going to get a used window out of a leer topper on one side (75-100$ with hardware) and then I am looking at west side marine (boat windows) as options and sky lights/ports. They also have passive vents that might work better for you since you don't have a flat surface to work with. I also have the same home depot insulation that I will be mounting. It will be mid november when I have time. Windows I found a place out of Oregon that will make custom rv windows no idea on pricing though. Will update you when I actually dive in.

sleepywheel

robin_doner, thanks for the update. Make sure you post a lot of pictures as you go. I was also thinking about using windows out of a truck canopy/topper and they can be bought pretty cheap. It's the finishing on the inside that isn't going to look right since those windows are typically used with just a rubber seal. Never thought about boat windows, since I'm on the west coast, I should check with the marine shops and see what they have. I haven't had any time to do anything to mine.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
My father in law has one and he loves it. It is his hunting hauler... it is so big (he has a Dodge 2500 Long Bed Crew 4x4) and it fills the bed. It is huge inside, as it is the extra height one, and he has a bed across the front and can still sleep in there while hauling his quad. Nice.

Keeps the bears out and your stuff in! If I had a pickup I would consider one in a heartbeat. Nice build on that ranger.

Waygoner

Observer
How about covering the inside with some indoor-outdoor carpet? Home Depot has it on giant rolls and it's pretty cheap.

sleepywheel

How about covering the inside with some indoor-outdoor carpet? Home Depot has it on giant rolls and it's pretty cheap.

Not too sure how that would work. Gluing the insulation to the walls would work but then gluing carpet to the insulation may be too heavy and pull it apart or off the walls. Probably have to go with hardboard and maybe sandwich the ribs with 1x2s to give something for the hardboard screws to bite into. Carpeting over the hardboard would be a good option then.

nsjeepboy

Live life it is short
Hi guys new to the forum, I’m looking at getting a Space Kap here in Canada east coast style. I’m looking for something for all 4 seasons to use and build for my JK to pull. Tent trailers water, do I have to say more. Travel trailers so not made for the woods. My take on it. I’m wanting an 8 footer the classic design. Been looking all over the web and a lot of guys have great ideas I’m going to build the trailer and the body up at the same time so it all comes together sharp looking. The wife doesn’t want the back woods trailer looking like a……… you know. Anyone have more pictures or links would be great I do like the ones here so far. I will start soon and maybe build a post of it, get the wife to type it.
Thanks
I know it is an old post just hoping......:smiley_drive:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94