bedford tm 4x4 any thoughts?

nick1969

i am thinking of converting a bedford tm 4x4,
not the old style bedford mj like every one else.

i am looking at torsion free mounting of the living area, extend the fuel range, which entails more water for more remote places for more fun.
the tm because it has a largest gvw of any 4x4 i can find......

does anyone out there have any help full hints for me ?????

super web site just thought i would let you know.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
It would be helpfull to know where you are and where you intend going ?

there's lots of brits who left the UK in a ex army bedford with a caravan shell stapped in the back....to tour africa..

Both sold in their final destination and flew home.....many I think never made it to the planned final destination.

funnily enough the bedford is well liked by african "military" forces for the same reason you want one.....

I enjoyed driving one in the military....a bit like having the best tonka toy on the block

There's a bunch here in Oman ex brit army set up as water bowsers and tow trucks only the older models..

nick1969

thanks

i am in the uk, africa is first on the list,
i want to build it so off road is not a problem,

i am guessing 10 mpg on the road,
6 mpg dirt roads,
3 mpg on sand?

anyone?

kerry

Expedition Leader
If you search here on Bedfords I think there's a least on thread that discusses them with pictures of a couple of conversions. My recollection is that someone raised the problem of unreliability but I may be mistaken.

Try the Horizons Unlimited Bulletin Board (HUBB). There's a lot of British knowledge there, and Bedford TMs have recently been discussed under "4WD Overland Tech".

Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier