Removal of rust from jerry can

jmeadows

Anyone know how to remove rust from the INSIDE of of a metal jerry can, it is not rusted through and the rust looks light. I am thinking CLR?

2008F450

Observer
There is a product that removes rust from motorcycle gas tanks. I forget the name but my father and I used to use it alot when we played with old Honda 750s. You put it in shake around awhile then dump it. Then you put in another part of the kit that caoted the inside to prevent rust. We used them and never had a problem with rust or coating coming off. Should do the same for you.

toy_tek

Adventurer
Great timing, I just picked up 4 jerry cans today, 3 fuel 1 water. Guy said they had some rust, I haven't looked yet. I'd like to know the name of that stuff too.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The product that I've seen mentioned in relation to motorcycle fuel tanks is "Kreem". I've no knowledge of, or experience with it.

POR-15 offers a product called "U.S. Standard Fuel Tank Sealer." A friend of mine has used this product on a couple custom fab'd fuel tanks to prevent the start of rust. I've been impressed with it. The first tank is now over 15 years old and never has had any troubles.

michaelgroves

Explorer
If you don't mind a physical work-out, you can put a small amount of diesel and a couple of kilos of coarse gravel into the jerry can, and shake it all around for a couple of hours. This works well where the rust is all at the bottom of the can - maybe where it had an inch or so of water in it - in which case, you just make sure there is enough diesel and gravel to cover the rust, and then drive for 1000km (washboard is best!)

I am sure the chemical approach is better, though!

madizell

Explorer
Even the products intended to seal rusted motorcycle tanks require some metal prep if the rust is anything but surface flash rust. Heavy rust is removed with a bottle or two of heavy duty radiator cleaner and a box of BB's. Obviously the tank has to be closed at the petcock and filler, or with a jerry can, put the filler cap and gasket back on. Then shake vigorously until the rust is dislodged. It does not have to be shiny clean, but you do want to eliminate heavy flakes adhering to the tank. Rinse and dry thoroughly. Then seal with the sealant product following manufacturer's directions. This usually includes leaving the filler cap off, distributing the sealant thoroughly around the inside of the can or tank, then pouring out the excess and letting it sit upside down to drain until dry.

It is not impossible that, if you spend the time with the cleaner/BB's that you can get the tank shiny clean. If you can do that, you can paint the inside of the can, or simply put it back in service, since most were not painted inside to start with.

jmeadows

Micro-economic theory is creeping into my head after reading all these posts. Hopefully removing the rust is not more expensive/time consuming than buying a new can! I do hate to waste!

If the rust is generally removed do I need to seal the can if gas is kept in it?

madizell

Explorer
As I mentioned, probably not, but you would have to get just about all the rust out I would think, mostly to avoid contaminating the fuel.

2008F450

Observer
" Kreem" thats the stuff. My dad also remembers putting some small nuts and ball bearings in the more heavily rusted ones to get as much out as possible. He still has a tank on his 750 that he did 10 years ago. No rust and the sealer hasnt flaked a bit

Tumbleweed

Adventurer
I have had better luck using a bag of marbles instead of BB's to break the rust flakes loose.
Not sure if it was the size, or weight; but they did a better job.

DenCo40

Adventurer
Acid Magic is the only way to do it. It's extemely effective and gets rid of the rust (all of it) and no fumes! Rinse it, dry it out real well, and seal the inside. You can get it at true value and ace..

roadkill

Adventurer
jmeadows said:
Micro-economic theory is creeping into my head after reading all these posts. Hopefully removing the rust is not more expensive/time consuming than buying a new can! I do hate to waste!

If the rust is generally removed do I need to seal the can if gas is kept in it?

but now that Carb has its teeth on the nation, those pre-ban gas cans are worth some $$$$$$$$

madizell

Explorer
Acid will work well at removing surface rust, but not well at removing deep scale. Scale still requires using something to rattle around in the can to knock the heavy scale loose. I have used acid lots of times, and if you don't get the heavy flake off, the acid will tend to cover the heavy rust rather than penetrate and remove it. If you leave it like that, it will continue to rust because there is still water and oxygen trapped under the scale, and it will eventually flake off. That puts you right back where you started. So, get all the heavy scale out first, then you can etch and seal.

DenCo40

Adventurer
madizell said:
Acid will work well at removing surface rust, but not well at removing deep scale. Scale still requires using something to rattle around in the can to knock the heavy scale loose. I have used acid lots of times, and if you don't get the heavy flake off, the acid will tend to cover the heavy rust rather than penetrate and remove it. If you leave it like that, it will continue to rust because there is still water and oxygen trapped under the scale, and it will eventually flake off. That puts you right back where you started. So, get all the heavy scale out first, then you can etch and seal.

Haven't ever had any troubles over the years. I have used muriatic (now Acid
Magic) If you have flaking (exfoliation) the the tank (fuel tank) is most likely unusable and already leaks and should be split and welded if you can't find a new one.
If its a Jerrycan I would toss it if it was that bad..

T&M Camping

Thats good info to know. I just bought 3 metal Jerry cans and 2 poly gas cans for $25.00 I also have a few that i got for $5.00 Only one looks like it has a lot of rust the rest of them look ok. Do i need to seal the inside with any thing on the Metal cans? Oh one of them has Diesel in it and i want to use it for gas how do i clean it out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles