Lightforce or IPF?

he 968 series of lights from IPF (part of ARB USA ) are considered the "budget-minded" light of their product line. At ~$170 Canadian (I have seen them around $100 USD on sale online), they place themselves in the lower to middle range of the light price scale. They are available in round (968) and rectangular designs (868) and include two lights, a snap-together wiring harness with mouse style switch and light covers.Before purchasing these lights, I compared them to dozens of other available models. The final field also included the PIAA 520 or 525 series, LightForce 170's, IPF SuperRally 960's and another model from Hella. (And I saw all of them lit prior to purchase) At about 50% of the cost of Lightforce and some PIAA models, it came down to how much I was willing to spend on a light that I really NEED only a few times a year. With the amount of rocks on the road in my area, I just couldn't see myself putting at $400 light on the front of my truck. I also did not want a pencil beam pattern as most of the trails I would use the lamps on have lots of turns - making the pencil beam of little value. A mixed wide and driving beam seemed ideal for me.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
he 968 series of lights from IPF (part of ARB USA ) are considered the "budget-minded" light of their product line. At ~$170 Canadian (I have seen them around $100 USD on sale online), they place themselves in the lower to middle range of the light price scale. They are available in round (968) and rectangular designs (868) and include two lights, a snap-together wiring harness with mouse style switch and light covers.Before purchasing these lights, I compared them to dozens of other available models. The final field also included the PIAA 520 or 525 series, LightForce 170's, IPF SuperRally 960's and another model from Hella. (And I saw all of them lit prior to purchase) At about 50% of the cost of Lightforce and some PIAA models, it came down to how much I was willing to spend on a light that I really NEED only a few times a year. With the amount of rocks on the road in my area, I just couldn't see myself putting at $400 light on the front of my truck. I also did not want a pencil beam pattern as most of the trails I would use the lamps on have lots of turns - making the pencil beam of little value. A mixed wide and driving beam seemed ideal for me.

IPFs are a great light also. I went with the Lightforces because they are about indestructable and the ease of being able to change the light pattern with the different lenses is great. I too do not use them a lot and only have 140s. I believe I paid @ $120 for mine on Ebay.

To mount mine I simply trimmed some of the plastic valance back on my Tacoma and drilled a hole through. I have very little light shake with them. I am guessing it is due to their light weight.

sargeek

Adventurer
Lightforce vs. Others Lights

I am considering the purchase of Lightforce Lights for an upgrade on a toyota.

I have never had the pleasure of running any of the Lightforce lights but I have once concern. From the looks of them they only look light spot lights. And for most of the driving I do, a wider driving beam is more appropriate. An I am not yet convinced that the filters can do everything.

In the past I have run some large 8"+ diamiter Hellas & Bosch lights that had awesome beam patterns. However, the lights were so heavy it was difficult to keep them aimed correctly.

The Lightforce lights would seem to fix this problem.

I agree that the Lightforce lights look like toys compared to a quality light.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I am considering the purchase of Lightforce Lights for an upgrade on a toyota.

I have never had the pleasure of running any of the Lightforce lights but I have once concern. From the looks of them they only look light spot lights. And for most of the driving I do, a wider driving beam is more appropriate. An I am not yet convinced that the filters can do everything.

In the past I have run some large 8"+ diamiter Hellas & Bosch lights that had awesome beam patterns. However, the lights were so heavy it was difficult to keep them aimed correctly.

The Lightforce lights would seem to fix this problem.

I agree that the Lightforce lights look like toys compared to a quality light.

Sounds like you need some 240s. I wasn't sure if this was posted earlier in the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrRv-WcFeNA

craig333

Expedition Leader
No, they really are a driving light, not a long range spot. And the covers really do work though they aren't cheap.

MrGrimm

Mall Crawler
Lightforce 170's! :victory:

DSC_3985.JPG

spressomon

Expedition Leader
The LF 170's work fine as long as you don't adjust them for flood. Then you get the 'typical of adjustable beam reflectors dead spot in the middle' (just like an adjustable beam flashlight). They have a nice pattern of light from the bumper out when adjusted just to the point of canceling the middle dead spot. A pair of 170's are good to about 45-50mph on gravel road; faster than that and you'll probably want the 240's or XGT model.

And avoid the LF HDI 170's.

The plus with the 170's is their bulletproof construction: Literally! I did have one reflector go bad (looked like microscopic melting of the aluminum reflector) over 3+ years of use but LF replaced at no charge recently.

You might also look at Hella 4000's along with the IPF 960's: I have friends that are running both on each of their respective rigs and they are quite satisfied with the amount and quality of light output.

The new LF Genesis might be worth looking at...but I don't know if they are finally available or not and haven't read any real tests.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Here's mine. The Hella 500s fill in the midrange quite nicely. Cheap too. Paid $40 for the pair on ebay.

Attachments

• lfhella.jpg
    lfhella.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 50

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I had a nice set of Hellas on my last rig. My buddy showed up with some dirt cheap Wallmart lights of the same power. The Hellas were better by about 2%and in my opinion not worth the extra money over cheap lights. Save your money and go cheap. I do have a dual lamp flood/reverse light made by Hella and it's great because nothing in the cheap range is on the market like that. It's on my snow blower and it lights up the whole driveway. I think for off road lights that unless you plan on flying in the desert, flood lights light up the trail way better than spot or driving type lights.

dust devil

Observer
Well, without actually being there to compare the lights you mentioned, its hard to say you are wrong about those particular lights. Personal experience has been that cheap lights have only one benefit. They are cheap. You can certainly pay $200 or $300 for a pair of lights the output of which is not a lot better than others costing half that, but I have not seen lights at WalMart that were worth buying at any price.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
4 Wheel Parts is now carrying Lightforce. They have the 240 Blitzs for $250 a pair. They aren't even on their website yet but if you call you can order them. They had them in the gift guide that was attached to the latest Offroad Adventures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior