Trailer Nose Box Suggestions

telwyn

Adventurer
I'm looking for ideas for the Nose Box for my m416 build ( ). I plan on installing a battery system, blue sea fuse box, 12v outlets, waterproof battery tender, etc to it. While I'll use as many waterproof components as possible, I'd love for it to be a waterproof box.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've seen a few ideas throughout trailer build threads, but thought one thread dedicated to this would make sense.

Martyn, any chance you'd be willing to sell the Chaser nose boxes? One of those would be perfect.

compactcamping

Explorer
I thought batteries needed be in vented, not in a sealed box, during charging don't they give off pontentially explosive gasses if allowed to build up and not vented to the atmosphere?

sseaman

Adventurer
I also think the batteries need to be vented, you could use a sealed box and leave the lid open when charging.

telwyn

Adventurer
Good advice - I'll be sure to keep the lid open when I use the battery tender, but otherwise ok for the battery to be in a box? Worst case, I'll add a vent high up on the nose box (still need to determine which one).

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
No problem selling you a nose box.

As far as venting goes the DEKA batteries we use are AGM and sealed, so they do not off gas. In this case no venting of the box is necessary.

We can also provide waterproof fittings to run the cable into the nose box and main box. I'd suggest that if you do decide to purchase the nose box from us we install the marine grade 12 volt outlets, fuses, marine grade charger, battery hold downs etc before we ship. That way you'd be looking at a plug and play unit.

A few things to keep in mind;

A group 31 battery weighs 60 lbs, so you are adding considerable weight to the tongue. Many of our owners have switched the battery location to the interior of the main box behind the wheel well.

We make composite battery boxes for just this purpose.

It's always nice to have a 12 volt supply inside the main box, as well as at the back on the exterior (for hair dryers, toasters, and microwaves :jump: ).

Remember to wire your vehicle and trailer to take a 12 volt charge back to the trailer. 10 gauge wire minimum with a fuse or breaker built in. Use a 7 pin RV connector.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
GeoTracker90 said:
Martyn,

Any chance of sharing a picture of the composite battery box? Sounds interesting.

Mike

We used them on the Arctic Trailers, pictures of the snowmobile trailer are here; http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=284189&postcount=36

The battery box is mounted on the tongue, we placed two marine grade sockets in the box. The small box mounted to the battery box is part of the break-away system.

The 6 gauge cables going into the box are part of a high output system direct from the vehicle alternator, most of you would probably use 10 gauge.

socaljeeper

Adventurer
I decided to use a 16 inch Tradesman Tongue box for my trailer. I found it on this website: www.toolboxesdirect.com and it was considerably cheaper than many of the other retailers. The only negative thing is that it takes 21 days before it shipped. I used black silicone to seal any holes I drilled to make sure no water gets inside. I am using a Deka AGM battery, Blue sea switch panel, Guest battery charger, junction box for all wiring and a shore plug for easy access. Blue sea plans on making custom labels for all thier switch panels soon, which is nice. West Marine makes a 2 and 3 gang 12 volt plug which I plan on using. I also put a disconnect for the switch panel because my 3 and 4 year old like to play with the switches when I am not looking. Here are some pics.

P1020365.jpg

P1020375.jpg

Correus

Adventurer
telwyn said:
Good advice - I'll be sure to keep the lid open when I use the battery tender, but otherwise ok for the battery to be in a box? Worst case, I'll add a vent high up on the nose box (still need to determine which one).

I didn't know this....

There is a auxillary battery box under the front seat in my SIIa.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I found it on this website: www.toolboxesdirect.com and it was considerably cheaper than many of the other retailers. ]

Patrick, thanks a ton for sharing that link... gave me some GREAT ideas for storage boxes for my trailer build coming up. I think anyone who is build an expedition style trailer should seriously look into these guys.

Good pricing too!

~James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94