Sit-in rec kayak for adult & child?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Last summer I started paddling while leaving my wife and 5 year old son at home. I want to take them out onto the river too, but need another kayak.

I'm thinking a tandem boat - one thats not so cumbersome that it requires both occupants to paddle. He'll only be 6, so I don't expect him to be paddling, just riding along. But when he is comfortable doing so, I'd like him to start paddling himself.

Can you guys recommend a suitable model? Something value oriented, but with room to grow?

detailbarn

Adventurer
I was in the same boat as you last season my son is 4. The wife and I took him out once in a large rented canoe and he loved it so this year I'm picking up two of these so he can ride with either of us. Bel haven watersports in south jersey will let you test any of the boats before you buy.

compass10.jpg

Native Watercraft These Compass boats were inspired by those designed and built by J. Henry Rushton during the 19th Century. They add tremendous carrying capacity to the speed, stability and ease of paddling a kayak. The hull design enables them to lift up, over and beyond boat wakes and harbor chop with speed greater than many kayaks of the same length.

compactcamping

Explorer
Most entry level tandems will perform similar on the water. I'd watch classifieds like craigslist of a deal, then check the product review section on www.paddling.net to see what people say about that model.

Personally I like to make my own, something like my Toto with a open cockpit would work well. Check out www.duckworksmagazine.com for plans and info.

Attachments

• ply-front-left-side.jpg
    ply-front-left-side.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 36
  • pakboat1.jpg
    pakboat1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 32

Spenser

Adventurer
Big Native fan here. Try the 14.5 utlitmate, they crossed a canoe and a kayak and stability is so good that a large person like me can stand in it, pole it and fly fish standing up if I want or need to. Very very stable, and difficult to turtle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles