Keeping bulk water in winter

over2land

Observer
I've spent a lot of time camping in the cold...

What are we talking for nightime and daytime temps?

How much water is needed first thing in AM (when typically the temps aren't up to defrosting standing water yet...)

Like, sub 30 all day long is one thing... but 30's for lows means its pretty easy... more info would help here.

Also, do you have a stove and someone to man it, if really really cold?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've been thinking about the same scenario regarding the twin 19-gallon tanks below my Conqueror trailer. We've been out in night time temps of 20 so far but had water provided --- we won't be so fortunate every time.
I like the idea of heating the water; maybe wrap with a blanket or other thermal barrier...

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I was thinking the tank heaters used on RV holding tanks would work for this but they draw around 10A @ 13Vdc for the smallest size. If you had a deep cycle battery and a way to charge it every day it would work.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
If camping with a vehicle, I usually keep the water inside a cooler jug. If camping without, I simply bring a considerable amount of extra fuel in order to melt snow/ice.

In my opinion it's alot easier to carry fuel for the stove then keep large quantities of water above freezing.

Pete

rusty_tlc

Explorer
sandalscout said:
Just a potential, but maybe an aquarium heater? You can get them in as little as 10watts or less, and up to much larger than that. I think (based on aquarium experience) that a 45 watts heater would probably keep a 20 gallon cube of water above freezing in 0 degree (F) weather. I've not seen them in 12volt models, but seems like 45 watts intermittently is pretty low draw to my barely knowledgeable of electricity self.
Actually an AC heater is a pure resistance and would probably work fine when hooked up to DC. However the current requirement would increase.

Ohms Law: P=IV
P/V=I
45W/110V= ~0.5Amps

When you change the voltage to 13Vdc
45W/13V= ~3.5A

Again, a deep cycle battery and charging system might be needed.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
sandalscout said:
Just a potential, but maybe an aquarium heater? You can get them in as little as 10watts or less, and up to much larger than that. I think (based on aquarium experience) that a 45 watts heater would probably keep a 20 gallon cube of water above freezing in 0 degree (F) weather. I've not seen them in 12volt models, but seems like 45 watts intermittently is pretty low draw to my barely knowledgeable of electricity self.

This is a good idea if you have the power requirements...one thing to watch out for (any time you have electricity and water duh) is these tend to be very fragile and may break easily in a car on rough roads. It would be a good idea to get some extra padding around the heater - you'll lose some efficiency, but you won't have a broken tube and live current in contact with your water (never a good thing)

go4aryd

Adventurer
For all but extreme temps, I just throw a couple hand warmers that have gotten good and warm under good insulation with the water. I often use the wool blanket, but a cooler or other temp break would work fine. It doesn't take that much to keep it warm enough to not freeze if you can prevent the air circulation. I put mine on the bottom (heat rises).

I have done this in the back of the rig regularly at 0F and it always works just fine. If I get nervous a bit, I shake the containers real good just before sealing them up with the warmers for the night.

sandalscout

Adventurer
evldave said:
This is a good idea if you have the power requirements...one thing to watch out for (any time you have electricity and water duh) is these tend to be very fragile and may break easily in a car on rough roads. It would be a good idea to get some extra padding around the heater - you'll lose some efficiency, but you won't have a broken tube and live current in contact with your water (never a good thing)

Actually, many of the newer/better brand aqurium heaters are made out of plastic or titanium, no glass to break, I think it would take some serious beating.

Michael Slade

Untitled
Put your morning water supply into a bottle and put it in the bottom of your sleeping bag. If you don't freeze, it won't freeze.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Michael Slade said:
Put your morning water supply into a bottle and put it in the bottom of your sleeping bag. If you don't freeze, it won't freeze.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!!:clapsmile

Heat the water up before bed and get double duty, bed warmer and coffee water that isn't frozen!

Robthebrit

Explorer
rusty_tlc said:
Actually an AC heater is a pure resistance and would probably work fine when hooked up to DC. However the current requirement would increase.

Ohms Law: P=IV
P/V=I
45W/110V= ~0.5Amps

When you change the voltage to 13Vdc
45W/13V= ~3.5A

Again, a deep cycle battery and charging system might be needed.

I don't think a AC heater will work, you math is not quite correct, you are forgetting resistance and power consumed changes with the square of voltage. 45W at 110V is 0.4A, using R=V/I you get a resistance of 275ohms. With a resistance of 275ohms and 13V only 0.04A flows which is only about half a watt.

To get 45W at 12V you need approximately 4A and to get that much current you need a resistance of around 3 ohms.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior