Keeping bulk water in winter

DaveNay

Adventurer
Since the 7gal containers won't fit into a cooler maybe I could build a wooden box lined with the 1-2" blue/pink insulating foam sheet and set the jugs inside and then keep the whole thing in the back of my car which is somewhat protected.

I built one of these for our horses.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/solar-stock-tank-zmaz10onzraw.aspx#axzz2lcBbQAtS

It is remarkable efficient and even with a wide open top we only have to run the immersion heater on the absolutely worst nights of the winter. This might be a viable option for you if you are willing to have this large of a box. to hold your 5 gal containers.

sweerek

2 methods for car-like, group, or base camping….

To keep large (~5 gallon) jugs of water liquid, place 'em atop 2″ EPS foam sheets (the pink, blue or green house insulation foam from Home Depot / Lowes) or styrofoam. If space allows, build a cover, sides, or box outta the same foam, just duct tape together. Place a disposable (iron filings and sawdust type, preferably large) chemical handwarmer between the water jugs. Place a blanket or old sleeping bag over the jugs then drop on the foam cover. If jugs a few quarts low, dump boiling water into them (but always leave 'em a quart empty).

Summer-time coolers work well for gallon milk-jugs of water. At least once a day, boil water, pour into nalgene bottles, and place bottles into cooler. Bubble wrap makes good, waterproof insulation — place inside cooler atop the water jugs & bottles. Drink outta nalgene's first. Place empty milk jugs back into cooler. (You might need to use these again.) Optionally use chemical hand warmers stuck into the milk jug handles & between jugs. Bury the cooler mostly into snow if near camp.

Do not fill large water jugs all the way to top. If they freeze, you'll want the space atop to pour in boiling water as to melt a bit of the ice.

Last edited:

kpredator

Adventurer
we have camped down to zero.at night wrap an old sleeping bag around the water jugs . during the day uncover and keep in the heated cab of your truck,rig.
never really had any problems.

when in ok,check out witchita mtns.

good luck

kp

rayra

Expedition Leader
black containers, in the sun, and in the vehicle at night, works pretty good.

scepter-gi-mwc-5-gallon-22121.jpg

doug720

Expedition Leader
black containers, in the sun, and in the vehicle at night, works pretty good.

scepter-gi-mwc-5-gallon-22121.jpg

I use the same technique and it has worked well. My water can is mounted near a side window that, if parked towards the sun, enough heat transfer occurs to keep the water from freezing over several nights of low teen temps. If I really worried, I wrap the can in a blanket.

My can has a PVC valve with a hose mounted near the bottom, and I have never had it freeze.

Doug

Attachments

• P1090817.JPG
    P1090817.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 20

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Why do you want to keep the water from freezing for the whole trip? I'd just bring a big cooler filled with ice strapped to the rear bumper and leave it frozen. (I am guessing you are camping somewhere without a lot of snow?) Just like winter backpacking. Start with snow or ice, melt it, boil it.

Hint - Easier to do when you bring ice cubes, not a giant block of ice, although that will work if needed.

As mentioned, fill a water bottle with hot water at night to use as your bed-heater, then use it in the morning to wash face, brush teeth, drink, etc while you are melting ice for the morning coffee.

I assume you will be using a stove to boil water for coffee, make food, etc. anyways. It's not that much more effort to melt ice cubes or snow as the first step.

MizMoosie

Observer
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but for those who camp in snowy conditions you can simply bury the water containers under snow. I have used this method with larger water containers and 24 packs of plastic water bottles down to -30F. A snowbank is good or you can shovel snow on top of your water container.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior