Keeping bulk water in winter

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

I'm looking for suggestions on keeping bulk water jugs from freezing during winter camping (usually 2-4 days). I'm using the Reliance 7 gal blue jugs; most of my gear is stored in my utility trailer but I'm planning on using 2 of the jugs in January for a camp outing in OK. Even though weather can be mild, I would like to hear others on recommendations you have used for winter camping. My trailer does have access to 12v and 115vac (inverter w/ two batteries) on board. Thanks.

Pete Wilson

JoshInReno

Observer
Just mix in some high-octane vodka. We all know alcohol doesn't freeze. :p

I'm sorry - I don't really know the solution.:oops:

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Maybe a block heater, they are usually 110V, but I've seen them online in 12V models as well...put it on top of the water (ice forms on top first, right?) - i never tried it but it sounds like it might work...

HINO SG

Adventurer
I've been thinking about that problem, too. Wonder how hard it would be to make an antifreeze that's both tasteless and potable.

Seems like there could be a market for such a product.

Google search didn't turn up anything obvious.

Jeep-5O

opie said:
Keep your water in a cooler? I was thinking about this same thing a couple days ago.

We used to do this for winter camping.

What we would do is use coolers for the water, then fill a plastic bottle (one liter or so) with hot water, seal it, then put it in the cooler in the morning and again at night (this is assuming you have the ability to heat water).

This would keep the water warm enough for it not to freeze.

We also used electric heaters for our horses (like the ones available from Tractor Supply), however; I don't think they will work for your application (size, current draw, etc).

Hope this helps some.:sombrero:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The sole imersion heater that I'm familiar with is 2500 watts. Would keep a large volume from freezing, but it does have some downsides.......

There is an anti-freeze that is drinkable, though I suspect the upper limit is rather small. Propylene Glycol. It's what is sold as "green anti-freeze" or "Environmentally Friendly" anti-freeze. Read the label of a can of Dr. Pepper. Has to be the can, I don't think the bottles get it because they usually don't go into vending machines.

obscurotron

Adventurer
If your daytime temps are >50F for at least a couple of hours and you can leave the jugs in direct sunlight, I've had luck wrapping them in 2 of the mylar survival blankets overnight (lows of 28-32F). Much below 28, the cooler+hot water bottle suggestions are likely more effective.

pete.wilson said:
Hey

I'm looking for suggestions on keeping bulk water jugs from freezing during winter camping (usually 2-4 days). I'm using the Reliance 7 gal blue jugs; most of my gear is stored in my utility trailer but I'm planning on using 2 of the jugs in January for a camp outing in OK. Even though weather can be mild, I would like to hear others on recommendations you have used for winter camping. My trailer does have access to 12v and 115vac (inverter w/ two batteries) on board. Thanks.

Pete Wilson

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Since the 7gal containers won't fit into a cooler maybe I could build a wooden box lined with the 1-2" blue/pink insulating foam sheet and set the jugs inside and then keep the whole thing in the back of my car which is somewhat protected.

Another thought I just had is to use a "Bubbler" for oxygenating a fish tank, the bubbles would keep the water moving and ice from forming, at least in theory. They used to use a similar thing in MI for people who left their boats in the water over the winter, they would run several of these bubblers around the hull to keep the ice from damaging the boat hull, but I haven't seen one in years.

Pete Wilson

norshor

Observer
pete.wilson said:
Hey

Another thought I just had is to use a "Bubbler" for oxygenating a fish tank, the bubbles would keep the water moving and ice from forming, at least in theory. They used to use a similar thing in MI for people who left their boats in the water over the winter, they would run several of these bubblers around the hull to keep the ice from damaging the boat hull, but I haven't seen one in years.

Pete Wilson

I use aerators like this for icefishing in my minnow bucket.
s7_018161_imageset_01

They run forever, and as you suggested, keep the water from freezing. It may work in this application.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
rusty_tlc said:
Pink RV antifreeze should work. I'm not sure how it would affect flavor.
It tastes terrible. Even though it's non-toxic, it is not fit to drink, even though it is used in very small quantities as a food additive.

JP

HINO SG

Adventurer
Curmudgeon said:
It tastes terrible. Even though it's non-toxic, it is not fit to drink, even though it is used in very small quantities as a food additive.

JP

I'm working on a heating system for my box truck conversion that using a couple radiators as heat exchangers. It would be really nice to find an antifreeze that would leave the water safe for washing and bathing; being able to use it for cooking would be a huge plus.

Anyone heard of anything that might work? even if it only helped down to say, 20F, it would be helpful.

sandalscout

Adventurer
Just a potential, but maybe an aquarium heater? You can get them in as little as 10watts or less, and up to much larger than that. I think (based on aquarium experience) that a 45 watts heater would probably keep a 20 gallon cube of water above freezing in 0 degree (F) weather. I've not seen them in 12volt models, but seems like 45 watts intermittently is pretty low draw to my barely knowledgeable of electricity self.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles