Extra brownie points?

Spikepretorius

Explorer
We had a call-out last night. American climber lost on the mountain. So off we went ahuntin'.
So if I'm ever in trouble you Yanks owe me one :rolleyes: he he

By the way, while looking for one guy we ended up finding a total of ten, yes ten, climbers. 5 locals, 5 tourists (1m +2fm americans). Strange what one finds when out on very dark windy cloud-covered mountains

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
You're formally invited to come and get lost on the highest point in Arizona; Humphreys Peak, 12,633'

....but we'll send pics of the "rescue" to your buddies in SA!

:elkgrin:

-H-

JeepinBear

Explorer
Hltoppr said:
You're formally invited to come and get lost on the highest point in Arizona; Humphreys Peak, 12,633'

....but we'll send pics of the "rescue" to your buddies in SA!

:elkgrin:

-H-

Or Mt Borah in Idaho at 12,668' (sorry AZ)

...OK Alaska...kill all our butts!

Superu

Explorer
Hey Spike

Save yourself the trouble of hitting Alaska and just come get lost around our modest 6,288 summit in New England! Home of the world's worst weather. We may not be the biggest, but we're one of the baddest! :ylsmoke:

• Mt. Washington holds the world record for wind speed: 231mph!
• This was recorded on April 12, 1934 atop the old Observatory.
• Hurricane-force winds occur, on average, 104 days per year.
• In winter, though, this typically occurs 3 out of every 4 days!
• Also in winter, 100mph winds usually occur every 3 days.

anemometer.gif

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Superu said:
Save yourself the trouble of hitting Alaska and just come get lost around our modest 6,288 summit in New England! Home of the world's worst weather. We may not be the biggest, but we're one of the baddest! :ylsmoke:
anemometer.gif

So when is a good time to attempt to summit Mt Washington? I always had the impression the worst was somewhere in Maine. Well, it is in the same general area.

Superu

Explorer
So when is a good time to attempt to summit Mt Washington? I always had the impression the worst was somewhere in Maine. Well, it is in the same general area.

Assuming you are talking about climbing/hiking and not driving, July and August are usually favorable times to summit. Although, you can find people on the mountain pretty much year round! :smiley_drive: The auto road closes for the winter to most vehicular traffic other than the snow coach
snowcoach08_169WEB.jpg

You can take the snow coach up and then x-country, telemark or snowshoe back down the auto road if you don't fancy a ride back down as well.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Superu said:
Assuming you are talking about climbing/hiking and not driving, July and August are usually favorable times to summit. Although, you can find people on the mountain pretty much year round! :smiley_drive: The auto road closes for the winter to most vehicular traffic other than the snow coach
snowcoach08_169WEB.jpg

You can take the snow coach up and then x-country, telemark or snowshoe back down the auto road if you don't fancy a ride back down as well.
Thats awesome:)

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Or just come to Oregon and hike the Nations deadliest mountain: Mt Hood (11,240). You too can show up and attempt to "hike" the mountian in your shorts and tennis shoes :rolleyes: So many idiots up around that mountain. When I worked at Timberline years ago we got called out at LEAST 5 times a day for a "hiker" lost on the ice field. And there are still pieces of a Pave Hawk (or a black Hawk can't remember) that came down a few years ago in a big nationaly publiscized "event" up on our hill... Piece of the Rotor and the Litter basket almost got me for good ;) Nothing like having a huge helo hanging over you when it get's erily warm and calm all of a sudden and then the litter cable comes coiling down at you... Look it up on youtube, I'm one of the many folks around the bergstrom (giant crevice in the mountian) when the choper veers out and crashes. Nothing like rescuing the rescuers eh!

Anywho: good on ya for being there to lend a hand to those in need spike.

cheers

Dave

RaginRabbi

PhulesAU said:
SAR - Saving stupid people from themselfs.

Or, as I heard from an ESAR guy who was riding shotgun with me at 1AM in the backcountry, looking for a wayward deer hunter:

SAR - Delaying Natural Selection for the last 100 years!

-or something to that effect. It's a little hard to remember everything from that looooooooong night.

verdesardog

Explorer
Or, as I heard from an ESAR guy who was riding shotgun with me at 1AM in the backcountry, looking for a wayward deer hunter:

SAR - Delaying Natural Selection for the last 100 years!

-or something to that effect. It's a little hard to remember everything from that looooooooong night.

Yes, sometimes I wonder why we are trying to save to lower end of the gene pool.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles