Damn. Now I have to spend more money.

Ground Anchor at Sierra Expeditions

detail_848_ARB230.jpg

Who do you think will be first to test it? :smiley_drive:

Pete

RoundOut

Explorer
What is it made from?

How thick is the plate steel used in this thing? (Specifically, the arm and the plow?)

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
According to the ARB Australia website, there are two products in OZ.

"Portable Rescue Tree"

The Portable Rescue Tree is designed for use in softer ground such as soil, sand and mud. At just 14kg it can easily be carried over distance, and folds away neatly for storage.

Ground-anchor-ARB230.jpg

"Terra Firma"

The Terra Firma incorporates six star pickets to provide a solid anchor in firm ground where some traditional shovel type anchors struggle to dig in. This model can be set up by one person and is fully engineered to pull apart to allow for easy storage.

Terra-FirmaLarge-10000030.jpg

Pete

PhulesAU

Explorer
Holy Cow Batman.... You could carry 2 number ones for the cargo space of number 2. How small does tree fold down to? It looks a lot more likley to be handy for those OPPS occasions.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
PhulesAU said:
Holy Cow Batman.... You could carry 2 number ones for the cargo space of number 2. How small does tree fold down to? It looks a lot more likley to be handy for those OPPS occasions.

It "pulls apart for easy storage". That's all I've been able to find.

silvergrand

Adventurer
Mmmmmmmmmmmm...this is what I need for field hunting geese. I always seem to find the one non-frozen section of the 200 acre corn field. Now, where to dig up the coin to order...Mmmmmmmmmm.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Am I the only one that finds the cost a bit on the high side? While I respect the design and the possible weight/space savings, I would have to get a considerable advantage over the tried and true PullPal to pick one up.

In other words, I'm not going to be the test case.

silvergrand

Adventurer
Relative High Cost= Low volume of unit sales/importation taxes/supplier mark-ups.

Possible Lower Cost Option- Purchase and carry and extra 400' of winch line.

Just a thought.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Alaska Mike said:
Am I the only one that finds the cost a bit on the high side? While I respect the design and the possible weight/space savings, I would have to get a considerable advantage over the tried and true PullPal to pick one up.

In other words, I'm not going to be the test case.

I am reserving my judgement on cost until either seeing it in person and trying it or reading a respected review. But yes, on the surface the price does seem high.

Pete

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
silvergrand said:
Relative High Cost= Low volume of unit sales/importation taxes/supplier mark-ups.

Possible Lower Cost Option- Purchase and carry and extra 400' of winch line.

Just a thought.

I was mainly concerned that it costs twice as much as a 11K PullPal (http://www.pullpal.com/ppspec.html and only weighs about 10lbs less. The folding issue is not a big deal for me, since I usually carry things that I dump in the mud on the outside of the vehicle.

I've been many places that 400' of extra cable wouldn't have reached the nearest tree. Besides, 400' of cable is heavy as heck, and 400' of plasma is expensive as heck. Sometimes a ground anchor is the best/most practical solution.

I respect ARB's products for the most part, so for the right person this may be the answer. That person is likely not me, though.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Didn't a guy on here build a pul pal type device for little to no money out of parts from tractor supply? I believe it was one of our hunters/ trappers.

Aaron

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
There was this thread about an alternative. To be honest, I've never seen a home-built one work as well as a PullPal, and Madizell can probably tell you about his experiences in the Outback Challenge. Not to say that home-built ones can't be effective as ground anchors. They just usually aren't as effective as the PullPal- unless they copy the geometry and blade design fairly closely. PullPals aren't perfect and can be improved upon, but they are the best thing I've seen commercially available.

There are elements of the ARB design that I find well thought-out from casual examination, like how the point is a separate piece from the wings, giving a stronger digging point. I also like the handle for extraction and guiding it into the soil. I'm not sure about the length or angle of the arm- especially when a deeper set is needed. It's possible the angle can be adjusted, but I'd have to see the design up close to see if I liked it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles