US M1101 Trailer 3/4 Ton Question

chrisngrod

The only ones I've seen with torsion suspension are the HVAC/Generator trailers. I've been looking at a lot of trailers on post. Our company has a water buffalo and M105.

We are getting an LMTV trailer that has a tounge weight of 800 lbs and weighs about 7.5k empty.

shogun

Adventurer
And then there is the dirty little secret........

early 1101's were found to be unsafe due to structural weakness. We literally had to chain them down to prevent unauthorized use until a fix was applied. A bunch hit the civilian market in unmodified condition.

Of course folks who just proudly laid down $5k+ didn't want to acknowledge this. Buyer beware.

foxhunter

Adventurer
found this old post. I just bought an m1101 that looks like new for $1500 that I am picking up tomorrow. Tires look unused. Saw it sitting for sale in a driveway and bought it on impulse. It is aluminum not steel . It doesn't have a dump bed on it. So can anyone tell me if I did ok on the price? I thought it would be a great trailer to tow behind my mog if I need to haul an atv or extra gear. I am hoping my wife's wrangler unlimited rubicon will be able to tow it as well as she does search and rescue and can use more space for hauling equipment off road( although it appears to be wider than her jeep). Any words of wisdom appreciated.If I got screwed, be gentle and let me down easy.

Fresno

Adventurer
What model? Is it built by Silver Eagle Mfg? Go to their website where the specs are to identfy which one you have. If it is a Silver Eagle they are aluminum, capable and first rate.

foxhunter

Adventurer
It is made by silver eagle. I have looked at the steel soldiers website and tried to register, but it said I was a spammer and wouldn't let me register. looks like my next step is to buy a 12pin to round rv 7 so I can pull with 12v civilian vehicle(price anywhere from $72-$142).That seems the best(also most costly)way to go as it leaves 24v system in tact for future resale . From what I am reading, after that if lights not bright enough, I can replace the 24v lights with 12/24v led trailer lights. I have no idea if I will have any brakes running off 12v, or if I need to worry. My mog and 1ton dodge probably won't care if brakes don't work, but if it is feasable to pull it behind the Rubicon unlimited , I am pretty sure that little jeep is going to want trailer brakes. My wife does search and rescue, so it would be handy to haul extra equipment or an atv with her in an off road trailer.Anyone have words of wisdom on the brakes?

Reactions: RLJ

Calilove1

Jeep & Camping Enthusiast
It is made by silver eagle. I have looked at the steel soldiers website and tried to register, but it said I was a spammer and wouldn't let me register. looks like my next step is to buy a 12pin to round rv 7 so I can pull with 12v civilian vehicle(price anywhere from $72-$142).That seems the best(also most costly)way to go as it leaves 24v system in tact for future resale . From what I am reading, after that if lights not bright enough, I can replace the 24v lights with 12/24v led trailer lights. I have no idea if I will have any brakes running off 12v, or if I need to worry. My mog and 1ton dodge probably won't care if brakes don't work, but if it is feasable to pull it behind the Rubicon unlimited , I am pretty sure that little jeep is going to want trailer brakes. My wife does search and rescue, so it would be handy to haul extra equipment or an atv with her in an off road trailer.Anyone have words of wisdom on the brakes?

Unless you really want to keep the stock wire harness in place you can literally swap out the 12pin and convert it to a round 7 wire system for $5.00 and 15 minutes max. I've done it numerous times so maybe it takes me 5-10 minutes but really it is that easy. Here is a link that'll give you the diagram to make it really easy on you. http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o293/sgtjacques/7pintrailerplugtomilitary12pin.jpg

Enjoy your new trailer!

foxhunter

Adventurer
Calilove1,
Hey thanks for the diagram. That looks like the way to go, and if I can find a wiring harness from an old Military vehicle, I could make my own connector as in the diagram you sent me without cutting the one off the trailer. Sounds like you have had lots of experience with these type trailers, any thoughts on the brakes? This one has disc brakes if that makes any difference. I am also on the lookout for a hard top for this trailer so I would appreciate a heads up if anyone comes across one.

I will try to post a picture soon, but it looks like every other camo painted m1101 I have seen on the web

Fresno

Adventurer
I have a flat deck version. The hitch/brake controller is by Triton for Silver Eagle. It should work just fine. Don't forget SE is in Oregon and will help you out with issues. Good people.

Pikeman

Adventurer
Also it is easy to swap the light bulbs themselves to the 12v version instead of the 24V lamps. So it is as easy as swamping light bulbs.

ghutch

Observer
These are great trailers!!

You got a great buy on the late model trailer. m1102-4 are bad to the bone!! They are great trailers.
I see post with folks worried they are to big?? NOT TRUE
NOTE AS INFO....THE M105 TRAILERS ARE TOO LARGE TO USE WITH CONSUMER VEHICLES
The m101a1-3 are easy to pull with a standard size pick up. I have several hundred miles pulling the m101a1 and 3's at 60-65 mph with a v6 pickup....have never had any issues. Many of these miles were thru Houston Rush hour traffic? and some Dallas rush hour. Ive pulled them with nothing but the trailer, and with roof bows and tarps intact...they are dry in a rain at highway sppeds! Safety or manuverability, towing and turning are just like any other trailer we pull. ...slow down some, give a little extra stopping room and drive defensively.
They make great utility trl's for brush, firewood, rock, gravel, sand, lumber...you name it. they can be made to self dump! as long as you don't load all the weight in the front ? ask me how I know?? I know guy who uses his as a moveable deer blind! stacks some brush around the sides wheels, rolls tarp up on one side, uses the sideboards as a gun rest. warm and toasty, deer season closes, it get pulled back to the house for normal duty! Another one I know of is used as a surf fishing base camp, 3/4 inch plywood placed on top is used as a casting platform, at nite used for sleeping. He has zero issues pilling it down an unimproved beach with a standard 4 WD chevy pickup.
These trailer are built to mil specs.. heavy duty duty everthing! ..most are rustproofed.... the units with 8 lugs wheels use 1 ton chevy wheels and brakes shoes are chevy 1 ton. lights are standard bulbs in some cases but are 24 volt...just a simple change out....led bulbs can be changed to 12 volt....harness to standard 7 or 4 pin connectors.
M101's trailer weigh about 1300 lbs....
anyone thinking about buying one of these to use as a camper or for off road use....they are rated 3/4 ton offroad capacity and 1 1/4 ton on road capacity. Military off road is harsher in most cases than most deer camps or logging roads or trails. I dont know what the width is on standard 1/2 & 3/4 ton pickup is but if you can get the pickup into an area....you can get these trailer into the area as well....
several trailer conversions are on this web site and more on the web....these cost the US over 5000.00 each and the new 1102-4's cost 8000.00 plus. they are not HF lawnmower haulers ....just my thoughts

Fresno

Adventurer
@ghutch. I have one and I agree with you on this. What a trailer. Aluminum to the core. Of course, my tow vehicle is a H1 Hummer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles