Kitchen Kit/Chuck Box

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
No detail shots unfortunately but here are a couple pics of my new camp kitchen box from its first outing last weekend.

Very clean, I really like the aluminum cutting board/stove protection on the top. Well done :ylsmoke:

bump

True but...

At some point all this neat stuff starts to detract from camping IMHO. I mean the point of camping for me is to get out there and keep it simple. My parents worked in Aerospace in LA in the 1960s and we had lots of parts off of Space programs on our boats and hot rods. So I dig the LA Aerospace style. However, when I'm out camping I want it to be as simple as possible. When I'm looking at some of these setups that are very trick I kinda get the feeling I'd be cheating myself. When I was 19 and 20 I left LA for Alaska and lived in a tent for the summers in Alaska. I had to live in my car for awhile in college. I had almost nothing. I really liked it. And when I camp I want some sort of hybrid of that experience and some accommodations for a body with a lot not a lot of years but a lot of mileage...

Not to wholly support the price here but consider the price of the Kanz with the interior being wood for $600. At least with this product your getting 2 boxes for $1000 and it is all aircraft aluminum.
I can not say I plan to buy one but as a whole the product is infinitely more durable and suitable than the other consumer products here.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
to the prior posts about the aluminum kitchen being bear proof. As Bump stated this is not a Bear Proof container, but bear resistant. Meaning it is designed to keep a bear from ripping it apart easily. it is the same difference as water proof vs water resistant. water proof means you stay dry and water resistant means your ok in a sprinkle but not in a down pour.

The real question is whether or not it is APPROVED as bear-resistant. However it may be designed, if it hasn't passed approval testing and certified as a bear-container, using it as food storage in some areas would be illegal and subject to a big fine.

For those camping away from established campgrounds who just want something a little more robust "just in case", its probably fine, but if its doesn't have the certification, you can't substitute it for a bear box.

bump

What brand?

Dave,

What brand is your box? Looks great!

No detail shots unfortunately but here are a couple pics of my new camp kitchen box from its first outing last weekend. Previously I was using one of those large plastic bins with the interlocking flip open lid. It was a pain to keep everything organized in there and I was always digging down to find what I needed. This is much nicer, smaller overall, and more tidy. Most of the kitchen gear fits in here. I'll add some dedicated separators and bins later to help keep it organized. The top is a thin sheet of aluminum to act either a cutting board or to protect the box from heat if I want to place my stove on it.

P1020006.JPG

P1020010.JPG

P1020009.JPG

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I think daves box is homemade

The all aluminum box is approved by at least one bear organization. If you check out their website they also build bear boxes for campgrounds that furnish critter proof storage. Looks like they have all their ducks in a row.

Errant

Explorer
The top is a thin sheet of aluminum to act either a cutting board or to protect the box from heat if I want to place my stove on it.

As a place to set your stove, that's great. But cutting on it will dull your knives.

DaveM

Explorer
As a place to set your stove, that's great. But cutting on it will dull your knives.

Correct. It's primary purpose is as heat and abrasion shield form my not yet purchased cook partner stove. It seconds as a work surface more than a cutting board. Because its easy to sterilize I can place already cut food there in preparation for cooking. The real cutting board is the red rectangular thing in the box, it sits on little tabs over the cook set and paper towels in the drawer.

Uglyduck

Adventurer
Here's one I've been workng on a chuck box using the Bluesky Kitchen plans. Its not quite done but I'm pleased with it so far. It offers an efficient use of space and is very light weight by using 1/4" and 1/2" hardwood ply.

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles