Kitchen Kit/Chuck Box

Ooops

Observer
Thanks Scoutman, I understand completely. What a really good idea, I'm going to have to look out for some of those
Thank you sir

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
I've used my Pelican Kitchen for a few years now and love it. It goes in my truck bed so being waterproof is important. I've made adjustments taking things out that I don't use and constantly finding better, more useful things to go in. 1600 with lid organizer and a game of Tetris inside.

c493a7dce56a06e0bfb04ec8d7556daf.jpg

3523e6ce5741b8dff6ae4d8be66f2d4f.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing the Partner stove doesn't go in the 1600. Do you have another case to protect/store it?

Great choice of the chafing pans for the 3 sink method!

Also, what are you using for the utensil roll, who makes it, part number??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoutman

Explorer
The 22" Partner stove doesn't go in the Pelican. I have a Blue Ridge Overland Gear bag for it and it's stored nice and secure in the toolbox. I'm working on a way to mount the #10 tank inside the bed so it's one less thing to fumble with and try to secure each time.

The tool roll is one I found on Amazon and I initially spec'd it in to clip to the lock holes on the front of the pelican kitchen. Since the pelican sits back off the tailgate now that didn't work but I found it also clips to the front holes of the stove hanging off the side. It's held on with a few Nite-Ize S clips. The pockets are of various width which is nice cause of the variety of things that go in it.

pyrate

Rollin' along
The 22" Partner stove doesn't go in the Pelican. I have a Blue Ridge Overland Gear bag for it and it's stored nice and secure in the toolbox. I'm working on a way to mount the #10 tank inside the bed so it's one less thing to fumble with and try to secure each time.

The tool roll is one I found on Amazon and I initially spec'd it in to clip to the lock holes on the front of the pelican kitchen. Since the pelican sits back off the tailgate now that didn't work but I found it also clips to the front holes of the stove hanging off the side. It's held on with a few Nite-Ize S clips. The pockets are of various width which is nice cause of the variety of things that go in it.

In case you ever are looking for something custom, there is a guy on advrider.com that makes pretty much everything out of cordura. It's Storm Industries http://www.stormind.net/ and they have many pre-made items but do some custom work as well. I have been very happy with the items they have made for me and reasonable in price too.

Scoutman

Explorer
A better picture of the lower half. The Moka Pot, espresso cups, and a drinking cup are missing but it's basically everything our family of 4 needs. There's 2 Lexan stemless wine glasses and a Lexan rocks glass for those campfire Whisky, Whiskey, Bourbon, or Scotch's. Some things seem duplicated but it all seems to get used.
f3ecfd7de427b5682705d6bbaba250bf.jpg

Contents broken out...
-Wustoff 6 piece knife set
-4 metal kabob skewers
-GSI coffee drip 30oz (perfectly fits in coffee pot)
-coffee pot for heating water (perculator guts removed)
-6 piece SS pot/lid set
-wash rag, pot holder, and towels
-GSI nonstick skillet (handle removed)
-cast iron skillet
-3 steam table trays
-clamp on led grill light (hooks to pelican lid when open)
-4 GSI bowls
-4 GSI plates
-4 GSI large cups/lids with insulating sleeve and small cup nested inside
-2 wine glasses
-bag of cleaning stuff (camp suds, sponges, scrubbies, food scraper)
-bag of plastic utensils
-stainless steel cup (reheating, measuring, scoop)
-rocks glass with bag
-bungee to attach paper towel roll to front of pelican
-water spout for scepter water cans
-HD AL foil

f3adba8a9978689b362f45aee47cf59b.jpg

-sheath knife
-campfire forks
-lighter
-tool roll with various things

61ded78721ae3e079999105699669612.jpg

Contents of the lid organizer.
fa831e69f8cbb7835a87235ac2aa0e0d.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
I have a river guide box that is kinda like this
https://www.frontierplay.com/KitchenDryBox

might get you thinking about legs and ideas for legs :)

really love most all things about it
sadly its about 1 inch to long for our new rig :) so having a tougher time packing it these days :) ahhahaha

things I love are when setup you have a top surface to put plates on etc.. so almost acts as a second table top for prep

the downside might be the lip near the bottom ? its a bit awkward in a way as something has to be kinda lifted to come out
not a huge deal but something that is there

Anyone use one of these for a chuck box? https://www.amazon.com/Topeakmart-A...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W6PM9DXC4NR9EQ1V19PP

517N4RDFngL.jpg

I figure I could do the same thing with it as someone else did w/ a large Pelican case:
- keep it in exactly the pictured position
- make a sliding shelf at the top to hold the stove
- make some storage compartments/cubbies below

Apparently the opening itself is 20.5" long, so that could work well for my 18" Partner Steel stove. The only thing that stands out as a concern is how far the long/handle protrudes into the interior.

Miatch

Observer
Bears and boxes!?!
I am wondering if anyone has had any trouble with these boxes still attracting bears?
Of course you don't keep food in them, but they will absorb the smell from cooking.
I have only had bears visit me twice, once was my fault (I left a cooler out) the other time was curious cubs.

pyrate

Rollin' along
Bears and boxes!?!
I am wondering if anyone has had any trouble with these boxes still attracting bears?
Of course you don't keep food in them, but they will absorb the smell from cooking.
I have only had bears visit me twice, once was my fault (I left a cooler out) the other time was curious cubs.

We have bear boxes that everything has to go into. I make sure mine fits as needed. If we are camping on open land, sleep with one eye open.

Miatch

Observer
This might have already been posted in this thread, but I believe it's worth posting again.
REI offered pretty detailed plans and a write up on building a nick chuck box.

Here is the plans PDF
http://blog.rei.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Blog-Camp-Kitchen-Cut-Sheet.pdf

Here is a nice write up of a build
http://blog.rei.com/camp/how-to-build-your-own-camp-kitchen-chuck-box/

It has been noted, that most of the big box hardware stores offer cutting services for about $.50/cut.
I think I'm going to build one as a Christmas present to myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior