Kitchen Kit/Chuck Box

Camelfilter

Explorer
I'd considered those pelican type field desks, but as others mention the weight put me off. They are very pricey as well. Would be great for a true expedition as a base camp setup though.

I use this medical chest (borrowed the idea from RoamingRobertsons). Which is pretty nifty I think as the front & rear pop off & can be used as 2 tables.

View attachment 225289

I put it on a drawer slide, then put a lazy suzanne on the drawer slide. Has worked great on the few trips I've made with it so far.

View attachment 225550

View attachment 225551

Camelfilter

Explorer
Yeah the one I use is heavy, but I could manage it by myself (before I did the draw setup). Now I just leave it in my truck most of the time. At camp it stays on the draw slide. Easy.

I would need help with that desk set, or a 2 wheeler etc.

swduncan

Observer
I also used blue sky plans, but the grubby one and work top box.
jage7y2y.jpg
teda4eza.jpg

I can take better pics for anyone interested.

At first I was stunned at how much space they took up in the truck, but when I packed them correctly I realized my other kitchen tote could shrink dramatically. They hold everything but food, more than just kitchen stuff, and the drawers are awesome for organizing little stuff.

The plans have a few gotchas - do talk with someone who's made one before starting, and DO NOT cut all the parts in advance.

These pics are of our 'expedition' to bring badly need food to the starving Mosquitos at Bong rec area in WI :cool:.

empeg9000

I also used blue sky plans, but the grubby one and work top box.
jage7y2y.jpg
teda4eza.jpg

I can take better pics for anyone interested.

At first I was stunned at how much space they took up in the truck, but when I packed them correctly I realized my other kitchen tote could shrink dramatically. They hold everything but food, more than just kitchen stuff, and the drawers are awesome for organizing little stuff.

The plans have a few gotchas - do talk with someone who's made one before starting, and DO NOT cut all the parts in advance.

These pics are of our 'expedition' to bring badly need food to the starving Mosquitos at Bong rec area in WI :cool:.
Looks great! How do you like the work top box? I was thinking about building that next. Can you post some more photos of that and what you keep in in?

swduncan

Observer
Did someone ask for PICS? Okay!

My goal is to get good enough at camping that we can use it in place of hotels on extended road trips. I knew we needed organization, and also a full set of stuff that would keep us from having to pack up home stuff in order to get going.

Along with that I'm making the transition from the 'disposable sacrifice' of car camping, where everything used is disposable and you sacrifice the menu for easy prep, to sustainable on-road living with real food and a lot less garbage.

I built these two boxes to help keep us better organized and form the foundation of our camping load - but we're still newbies and this is a work in progress.

hy5ytehy.jpg

I built the Grubby One (g1, left), and the Work Top Box (wtb, right). The G1 has drawers and shelves and the WTB is just a box with a lid that sits on stilts to form a table.
mydenynu.jpg

The cover is off, and the stilts are in place and you can see my coleman stove in there.

emanara5.jpg

I could fit a lot more stuff in here, usually there would be a 12" fry pan laying in here. I've got 3 kids, so there's never enough flashlights/lanterns ;-) Even with the frying pan there's still a ton of space and I have yet to pack the box properly.

hyjy2e6e.jpg

Here are the two fully deployed with my liquid fuel 413G sitting on the wtb. The g1 has shelves on one side, and drawers on the other - both sit on shelf pins in holes, so they're adjustable.
yzy9aty4.jpg

sy8u2y3e.jpg

The washtubs and dish drainer hold the the dishes, and usually towels as well. the middle shelf holds some foil, paper towels, plastic bags and the like. There's still a lot of room for smaller times to be fit in there, it's a matter of how tight you want to pack it. The bottom drawer slot may get another drawer. The paper towels in there now have yet to be used, and it's wasted space. Maybe that will be a taller drawer/box for spices, coffee/tea, and stuff like that.

a4aruhub.jpg

The left side holds bug dope, sun screen, salt and pepper. The right side has some hooks to hold spoon and spatula, some cards and soap. both of these areas could have more stuff with better organization, the left side could use another shelf for spices. I could also add hooks for the tongs, whisks, and measuring spoons and clear up one of the drawers.

a2yzuqyq.jpg

The tubs & drainer hold dishes, towels (usually) and a few other cooking implements.

y5uvuqa6.jpg
heguvuqy.jpg

I have a grater because my kids will always eat a cheese quesadilla ;-)

The three drawers hold utensils, cooking tools, and one is a junk drawer with odds and ends. The drawers are just boxes that rest on shelves and pull out easily, so the silverware drawer can be pulled out and set on the serving table.

daju9e5u.jpg

Altogether the boxes take up a fair bit of space, and at first it seemed like a bad deal. As I learn to pack stuff better, it's working a lot better.

Really, I used to take two totes + food, and one tote isn't much smaller than the wtb:
5ajesynu.jpg

BUT these boxes form tables and provide organization.

I can't fit the 413G in the wtb, but if I didn't have to put a stove in there I could fit our food in for most shorter trips - I mean the canned/boxed stuff, and assuming we're not bringing a lot of bread or bakery. I'm learning that tortillas are even better on the road than they are at home :cool:

So what used to be stove + two tubs + bags of food is now two boxes and a tote of food when I use the propane stove. A bit more space, but a lot more utility. If I use the 413G stove, it would be two boxes + stove with the food in one of the boxes.

The weight of the g1 is very high because I bought some used corelle to use as dishware. I now see my mistake, and am looking for some cheap plastic dishware. Even with the corelle, I can carry it out of the truck, although a few hundred feet is the limit.

The main part of the g1 could be used by itself on the tailgate, or the table it would normally sit on could be repurposed as a coffee table or to eat on.

Building them wasn't too difficult, but study the plans and cut no piece until you need it. Especially do not trust the cut list provided in the first part of the plans! Start with the inside structures and build the table only after the main box is done. The design can be changed to fit a wider stove, etc. Do make sure you get the tubs, drainer, and anything else you expect to fit and measure them to make sure they will fit.

I used cedar and birch plywood - the plywood was fine, the cedar was not a good choice. If this works out I will make a new set, fix a few dimensional issues and use hardwood for the frames.

The g1 and wtb by themselves would provide a doable space for cooking a meal. Add a tailgate and you have even more space. I've added a 4' lifetime folding table and that makes for a pretty spacious workspace if there's a picnic table, or a serving table if there isn't.

The only downside I've seen is that both require a flat spot, but really, what table doesn't?

You can find the plans at blueskykitchen.com

woodworkerfella

Build Questions

Wonderfully done. I like the natural looking stain colors you used. I built the army green-colored Grubby One and the extension table and posted a couple months ago here. How sturdy is the table on the Work Top Box? Did you use 1/4 or 1/8 inch plywood. I painted mine because the Luan I used had an ugly primed laminate side. I would also like to build another set with better wood. I think I'll use hardwood for the structural pieces and then lightly stain everything or maybe just poly it.

Thanks,

Darren
thecampingplace.com

swduncan

Observer
Thanks! However, there was no stain. The plywood was naturally light - 1/4" baltic birch, the rest was naturally dark cedar. I don't recommend the cedar because it was very weak and splintery. A few sloppy coats of ply, and a coat of wax.

I looked at the luan I could find (Home Depot) and it was pretty ugly.

The work top box is about as sturdy as the Grubby One, but really it depends on how well you make the pockets for the stilts to sit in. I spent a bit of time fitting them to be fairly tight, and the table is pretty solid. However, because of the flat bottom any unevenness in the ground can give it a wobble. A cleverly placed rock will usually fix that though.

I suspect I will have to touch up the poly on the bottom once a year or so, as the boxes get dragged into and out of the truck.

Xterabl

Adventurer
I spy blue diamond strike anywhere's...apparently those are a dying breed (due to ************ meth-heads)
Nice chuck setup,of course!

swduncan

Observer
I spy blue diamond strike anywhere's...apparently those are a dying breed (due to ************ meth-heads)

I have them in there because it brings bad mugambo to go camping without them, but I almost never use them. They're a bit old, so instead of Strike Anywhere, it's more like Strike Anywhere But Here.

empeg9000

I have them in there because it brings bad mugambo to go camping without them, but I almost never use them. They're a bit old, so instead of Strike Anywhere, it's more like Strike Anywhere But Here.

HAHA! I didn't pick up on that but I too keep them in my camp kitchen. You never know when the butane lighter might stop working...

woodworkerfella

Thanks! However, there was no stain. The plywood was naturally light - 1/4" baltic birch, the rest was naturally dark cedar. I don't recommend the cedar because it was very weak and splintery. A few sloppy coats of ply, and a coat of wax.

Wax over poly? What does that do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior