Roof top tent

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Roof Top Tents are not vehicle specific, rather they require you to provide a mounting solution that most likely will be vehicle specific. My recommendation would be to contact a company that specializes in the KJ and find out what rack's or mounting system (load bars) are available for your model. For the most part the common tent options are easy to fit on different racks and bars with minimal effort.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Thnak you, I was looking at racktents.com and they provide a tent for the Kj using the factory crossbars. Being new to this would a rooftop tent be a wise investment? Also with the roof top tent are you able to store other equipment on the roof?

FlyingWen

Explorer
The ARB RTT or an Eezi-Awn 1400 will fit perfectly on the KJ.

I am getting the ARB RTT for my KJ since we already have a Eezi-Awn.

The Western States Manager for ARB had an ARB RTT on his KJ and said that it fit great and he never had any issues. I can't wait to get mine!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
FlyingWen said:
The Western States Manager for ARB had an ARB RTT on his KJ and said that it fit great and he never had any issues. I can't wait to get mine!

Yeah here's Seth's ARB:
0709_4wd_16_z+arb_simpson_ii_tent+jeep_liberty+rear_angle.jpg

0709_4wd_01_z+arb_simpson_ii_tent+jeep_liberty+front.jpg

0709_4wd_03_z+arb_simpson_ii_tent+jeep_liberty+side.jpg

This is the old style of ARB rooftop tent pictured.

cruiseroutfit

flyingwil said:
...This is the old style of ARB rooftop tent pictured.

I don't think its as much as an old style as much of a "one-off". As I recall he had one of the demo models on his rig? Might be an original Simpson tent but I've never seen one stateside.

cruiseroutfit

Purple People Eater said:
What type of ARB did Cshonts have? It's handsome. I like the extension over the ladder. Is this the ARB tent you guys sell now?...

That is the Simpson II Tent, which is technically their current model although the new Simpson III (very similar in appearance) is due out first of the year. You can see some sneak peaks of the new tent here:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20511&highlight=simpson

cruiseroutfit

Purple People Eater said:
That's what I thought... Just making sure. Ahh, it'll be worth the wait.

If you don't mind the older unit (still a great setup imo), keep your eyes peeled for closeouts on old stock as well as deals on lightly used units from those looking for the new setup :D

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
That new set up is great. I'm new to this and was wondering, Is a rtt a good investment? Can you store anything on the roof as well?

Last edited:

Zeero

Adventurer
Once the tent goes up, especially on a KJ, your space is limited tp utting much else up there. But you can get half baskets to carry, or over the spare baskets for other things.....there a number of options.

As far as RTT's go, there are some great suggestions on here, but when we ran Libertys for our Expeditions, we found the Hannibal RTT to fit the best and still leave room for other things.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Zeero said:
Once the tent goes up, especially on a KJ, your space is limited tp utting much else up there. But you can get half baskets to carry, or over the spare baskets for other things.....there a number of options.

As far as RTT's go, there are some great suggestions on here, but when we ran Libertys for our Expeditions, we found the Hannibal RTT to fit the best and still leave room for other things.
Where would I find the Hannibal RTT? Tried to get on the overland forum and said that I was already registered but wouldn't accept my password or user name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior