Jerry cans - New Law

James86004

Expedition Leader
MoGas said:
Off Topic:

James, Are you from up here? 86004 is a Flagstaff Postal code

Yes, I lived in Flagstaff from 1993 to 2004. I couldn't find a new mechanical engineering job up there, so I had to leave. I really miss Northern Arizona.

When I was signing up for my Yahoo email account several years ago, I tried all my usual usernames, made up several, and they were all already taken by someone else. I finally figured noone would be stupid enough to use James86004, and I was right.
:jump:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
James86004 said:
The bill requires that all portable gasoline containers be made with child resistant closures
I defy them to prove that my NATO style fuel cans aren't "child resistant". Heck, they are human resistant.

But I guess I have enough. I bought about 12-16 new ones when CheaperThanDirt had them for about $12, plus I have about the same number of used ones.

86cj

Explorer
Oh great, now the senior citizens will have two lids that the nearest child will have to help them with..........

Zaphod

Adventurer
I am proud that our colleagues joined us in unanimously approving this common-sense bill.

You ever notice how much of the common-sense stuff that comes out of Washington is anything BUT common sense? :smilies27

Great. Now we have to worry about pre- and post-ban gas cans. :mad:

James86004

Expedition Leader
A thought just occurred to me. :campfire:

Does this new law apply to oil cans? A lot of people use 5 liter Wedcos to store oil.

Can I get a 20 liter oil can?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
James86004 said:

Does this new law apply to oil cans? A lot of people use 5 liter Wedcos to store oil.

I thought of that creative deception too. Why don't they start calling their cans "liquid storage" cans. "Not legal for use with gasoline". The liability involved would outweigh the small market of those really needing a non-CARB compliant can. At the end of the day while CARB cans are a PITA, they still work.

I just loathe the fact we can't get decent plastic fuel cans anymore, CARB compliant or not. I had a recent mishap along the White Rim Trail a couple of weekends ago that really high lighted the bonus of plastic cans. I usually strap 4-6 cans along the back of my tailgate in my Tacoma, with a stap in front of them pinning them against the gate and a strap over the top keeping them from bouncing up. I've done this on both Tacomas dozens of times. We were really cooking through the WRT (~8 hours total on the trail, one day). I look back in my rear view mirror and my tailgate is gone and my cans are stretched on the road behind me... one of which bounced down the hillside 20 ft. All were full, none had ruptured or suffered anything more than some scuffing. Had this happened to a metal can at a minimum the integrity of the cans would have been compromised, worst yet they would have ruptured.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
TeriAnn,
A great big "Thank you" for posting this thread. :wavey:
No, I didn't realize the new gas can law was about to take effect.
However, I did follow the link you provided and snagged 2 more NATO cans "just in the nick of time." :luxhello:

Again, my thanks... :bowdown:

safari.gif

michaelgroves

Explorer
I see from the link that the legislation refers to "gasoline" cans. I presume it applies to diesel too?

Strikes me the legislation is flawed anyway - surely rather than restrciting manufacture/import/sale of "unsafe" cans for the purpose of storing gasoline, they should rather have banned the storing of gasoline in unsafe cans (with a suitable interval for alternative arrangements to be made)?

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
michaelgroves said:
I see from the link that the legislation refers to "gasoline" cans. I presume it applies to diesel too?

Strikes me the legislation is flawed anyway - surely rather than restrciting manufacture/import/sale of "unsafe" cans for the purpose of storing gasoline, they should rather have banned the storing of gasoline in unsafe cans (with a suitable interval for alternative arrangements to be made)?

That would require personal responsibility. Not permitted in the Nanny Nation.

It reminds me of of The Central Scrutinizer, enforcing laws that haven't been passed yet...

Dave

Bogo

Adventurer
James86004 said:

I use a bunch of 5 gallon red oil cans for transporting oil back for recycling. It is real funny the number of times I've had an unsecured one stolen out of the back of my pickup. I sure hope;) they didn't poor it in their gas tank. :D

TeriAnn

Explorer
DaktariEd said:
TeriAnn,
A great big "Thank you" for posting this thread. :wavey:
No, I didn't realize the new gas can law was about to take effect.

I bet a lot of 4X4 types & country folk are being blind sided by this regulation and are going to be quite surprised & very upset.

On the other hand, I wonder if the US border guards will be checking date of manufacture on vehicles entering from Canada with some jerry cans mounted on the roof rack?

I understand that the Mexican authorities can cause major problems if they think you are coming across the border with extra cans to buy cheap gas. A problem that doesn't exist with Canada's expensive gas.

cruisertoy

Explorer
How does one find out if they will hassle you at the border or not(canada). I've got a possible shipment of used cans I'm trying to get on the road, but it looks like it's not going to make it before the 1st. I can ship them fedx 4 at a time or slap them on a pallet and ship them frieght. I just don't want to pay for all these cans and then have them get stuck in Ontario.

TeriAnn

Explorer
I just got off the phone with British Pacific. They are out of 20L nato style jerry cans but still have 10L and 5L NATO style cans left in stock.

As of today they are running a close out sale on the 10L cans, $39.95 for a 10L can plus a 10L can holder. While I like the 5L cans for things like solvent & 90wt, I prefer the 10L cans if I need to put fuel on the roof rack. The 10L cans are a lot easier for me to lift on & off AND they have a lower profile than a 20L can on its back for decreased wind resistance.

10lcanwholder.JPG

NATO style jerry cans

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
To help with the knowledge of NATO cans, I have talked to Steve at Expedition-Imports and he is out of stock as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94