Old Man Emu 891 Springs
Timbren Front Bumpstops
Daystar KU09014BK Rear Bumpstops
Sonoran Steel Adjustable Panhard

Wheels & Tires:

285/75/16 Yokohama A/T-S
16x8 4.5" BS FZJ80 Land Cruiser Rims

Protection:
ARB Tacoma Winch Bullbar (Matching powdercoat)
DIY BruceTS styled rear bumper
Demello HD Round Sliders
Summit (Tmax) 9000 lb Winch + 75' of 3/8" Synthetic Rope

Performance:
Sierra 4.88 Gears
AirAid MIT
TrueFlow Filter
B&M Transmission Cooler (70264)
OEM Muffler + turn down

Lighting:
2x Hella 4000 Metal Driving lights - HID 4500K Conversion
Phillips X-treme Power Halogen Upgrade

Interior:
Pioneer 5900IB Head Unit
Kicker 10" solobaric + Kicker 750w amp
ICOM IC-V8000 Ham Radio
Scanguage II
Custom Drawers
Edgestar 43qt. Refrigerator

Exterior:
20% Front Window Tint
Yakima Roof Mounting System
DIY Bolt-On Rear Swing out for fuel
Thule Evolution 1800

-------------------------------------

Note: This is a replacement vehicle for my last truck which I put way too much time and effort into. What I did gain from those years of modding was a love for Toyota quality and knowledge of modification.

R.I.P. Duke

dunzo-1.jpg

DR Coilovers ~ Camburg UCA's ~ Deaver 10 leaf ~ DR Rear Resi's ~ ARB Bullbar ~ Allpro Rear Wraparound ~ Hella 4000 HID's ~ Off Axis Sliders ~ 255/85/16 Maxxis Bighorns ~ Etc.

Some parts I was able to salvage and swap over to the new rig, namely lights, interior goodies, and coilovers.

Last edited:

CYi5

Explorer
3rd Gen Intro

For those looking to purchase a 3rd Gen 4Runner read on, if you already own one, feel free to skip forward.

While I love having a truck for keeping me and cargo separate, the lack of space for passengers was always an issue. I almost purchased another Tacoma when the 4Runner popped into my head as an option.

The 4Runner is essentially a Tacoma; same front suspension and engine, so I already had knowledge on how to work on the vehicle. After much research about what year I was looking for, I narrowed it down to 1999-2000. They are essentially the same vehicle so either was fine with me. I picked these two years mainly because of the transfer case. These are the only two years Toyota offered the Multi-mode transfercase. It offers 2hi, 4hi, 4lo, and AWD. Planning to move somewhere with snowy winters I knew I wanted the AWD option. The limited models were the only ones offered with this transfercase so that helped narrow my decision down even further. From my previous experience with a TRD 4x4 Tacoma, I also knew how invaluable the locker was. As an added bonus, 4Runners with an e-locker and 265/70 sized tires stock typically came with 4.30 gears, compared to the normal 4.10's of other 4Runners and Tacomas. This helps take the edge off of 285/75 tires or perfect for 265/75's.

So the search was on browsing autotrader, craigslist, and ebay among others. Keeping your eye out for that locker button on the dash is key to this part of the search, as most owners won't even know what it does and if you ask them if it has an electronic locker on it they will ask what it is. Eventually with some luck, you'll come out with a cleaner rig than your previous and for a good amount less than insurance paid out!

It's simply more comfortable plain and simple. While the interior is a little cheesy, the leather seats and overall climate inside the 4Runner is plush.

CYi5

Explorer
Suspension

From previous experience with my Tacoma, I knew Donahoe Racing coilovers (now icon vehicle dynamics) gave the best all around ride for pretty much all environments. I always said if I were to do it again I would go OME all around, but since I was able to salvage my DR's I threw them on the 4Runner.

DSC_0019.jpg

Because they are extended, I needed to pick up some new UCA's too. I never had an issue running my old Camburg UCA's on the Tacoma and spending an extra $300 just wasn't worth it for Total Chaos.

I appreciated the added stability to the front end compared to stock.

DSC_0012.jpg

The Timbren bump stops that are added to the lower control arms make the ride night and day. It really softens up the big dips and nosedives when off road. If you can pick up a used set like I did, they are definitely worth it. The $150 retail price tag is a bit steep but I think they are a necessary addition to the front end short of airbumps.

DSC_0318.jpg

For the rear I read that if you are going to get OME springs, it is best to match an OME shock to it as well. So far my experience with the 890's has been good paired with the N86C comfort shock. It seems apparent that I will need to upgrade to the 891's (more constant load capability) as I will be adding a drawer system soon. However, they perform well on the street and the dirt, true coil comfort.

DSC_0023.jpg

It came installed with airbags from the previous owner and they do a good job of keeping the rear elevated when loaded. I also picked up the Sonoran steel adjustable panhard bar as I wanted to do it right the first time. In hindsight I would have just stayed with the stock bar. The difference when adjusted to the lift height of the 890's (2.5") is maybe 1/4" difference. Certainly not enough to justify the pricetag. Now if I ever upgrade to some Land Cruiser FZJ80 coils, I will be happy I have the ability to adjust. But for now, it just looks burly under there.

Last edited:

CYi5

Explorer
Interior

As far as communication goes, I ran CB radios for a few years with mixed results. Sometimes it would be nice and crisp and other times it would be crazy feedback. Eventually the guys I go wheeling with and myself switched over to HAM radios. The clarity is awesome and range is even better. I chose the ICOM IC-V8000 as there is a lot of information on it in the desert racing world, plus I got a sweet rebate from the purchase.

DSC_0013.jpg

I was really trying not to go ghetto on this rig as it is essentially a weekend wheeler, with 90% of its life on the streets. So in the interest of passenger legroom, I mounted the radio in the DIN slot underneath my head unit. At times it will interfere with my music, while most of the time it works fine. I ran an extension from the back of the HAM underneath the carpet and out an existing slot in the carpet under the passenger seat. This way I just throw on my magnet antenna, route the antenna down the back of the runner and up along the passenger side under the carpets.

DSC_0018.jpg

As a fun toy left over from my Tacoma is the ScanGuage II. It's a pretty useful tool for comparing snorkel temps with your buddies or just as a code reader. Every time I hit rough dirt I tend to throw a CEL for an O2 sensor, when I know for a fact that it was replaced just before I purchased it. I can simply reset it with the ScanGuage and I can go on with my life without that pesky light staring at me.

DSC_0014.jpg

Because it's a daily driver, I do have some audio equipment in it. If I didn't get a serious price cut from Kicker I probably wouldn't have these goodies, but they are hard to resist. They include the headunit, a 750w amp under the driver's seat, and the 10" solobaric sub in box. I plan to build a drawer system around it this weekend, at which time I can remove the sub while wheeling and place my air compressor in the same cubby hole.

DSC_0024.jpg

Last edited:

CYi5

Explorer
Tires & Wheels

I had initially planned to run 16x8 Land Cruiser rims, and actually purchased them. While they were being shipped to me, a deal came up on customtacos for 285/75/16 Nitto Terragrapplers mounted on 16x8 American Racing Teflon Chambers. I had always wanted to run these rims since my Tacoma days, and I was also set on Nitto Terragrapplers due to their impressive offroad performance combined with quiet sound levels at highway speeds.

DSC_0028-1.jpg

They haven't failed me yet, we'll see how they do in the snow in a few days. The next set will probably be more terragrapplers but in the 265/75 size for a little more power.

Last edited:

CYi5

Explorer
Protection & Lights

Plans always do seem to change. I was dead set on getting a Shrockworks bumper for the front of this rig. The 10 week waiting period was somewhat of a turn off plus the idea of having to cut into my grill to run my Hella 4000's. That's what it takes to get quality I guess, but driving long stretches on the 395 last month made me want to speed up the addition of my lights back onto the rig. I came upon a new in box ARB Tacoma bumper that I was familiar with from having one on my old truck.

As it's pretty much a street queen right now anyways, I decided to have it powder coated to match the rest of the limited package trim.

DSC_0016.jpg

The mounting of the ARB on the 4Runner seems way more stout that it was on my 2001 Tacoma. The Tacoma requires an added block to lengthen the frame. This entails bolts going through the already weak framehorns. The 4Runner uses the tow hook bolts as well as a bolt placed through the frame. I feel much more confident winching with the 4Runner when the time comes.

I recently go my lights mounted and wired up as well, I can turn night into day once again. The are Hella 4000 metal driving lights that have been converted to use a 6000k HID kit. If you are interested in doing this conversion it can be seen here. This can be done for around $250, a worthy price for what you get.

DSC_0015.jpg

I will try to get a night pic up later for you to see the comparisons.

Last edited:

CYi5

Explorer
DSC_0130.jpg

Johnson Valley, CA

DSC_0349.jpg

Tea Kettle Junction. Death Valley, CA

DSC_0239.jpg

Death Valley, CA

School and work don't leave much time for wheeling :( More trips soon to come! Stay tuned!

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
The pics weren't coming in for me either. But if you right click on the red x and go to properties, close that window and then right click on the red x again and click on show picture it should come up for you. It worked for me, though time consuming, but I didnt have anything else to do.

Nice build up, the truck looks good.

Super Doody

Explorer
CYi5 said:
As a fun toy left over from my Tacoma is the ScanGuage II. It's a pretty useful tool for comparing snorkel temps with your buddies or just as a code reader. Every time I hit rough dirt I tend to throw a CEL for an O2 sensor, when I know for a fact that it was replaced just before I purchased it. I can simply reset it with the ScanGuage and I can go on with my life without that pesky light staring at me.

DSC_0014.JPG

Sorry to hear about your truck but your 4 runner is looking awesome:D

On the scan gauge, if you have tires any size other than stock, the mpg, speed and odometer will be off. The scan gauge is hooked up the OBDII connector which is essential reading ECM unit factory programed based on stock tire size. Unless there is an adjustment on the unit?

CYi5

Explorer
Damn my bad guys. Might be because i'm hosting them on picasa which is a members site. I've swapped them all over to a different hosting site, hopefully no more red :removeredX: !

Scanguage: there is a setting in the unit where you can adjust it +/- a certain percentage to compensate for tires or gearing. It's easy to just correlate the % to an actual GPS reading. I look at my scanguage for my speed now, i don't even use the actual speedo. But you are correct, the odometer will be reading less miles than I am actually traveling. I'll try to get a photo of the screen for you.

Last edited:

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Nice start to the build up. :coffeedrink: The adjustable trac bar was a good purchase even if it is only a 1/4" gain for now, thats just that much less stress on your frame and brackets when flexed out to it's normal max.

I think the red x's everyone is talking about were the photo's SAR Squid tried posting, those are the only x's I'm seeing on my side of the screen.

bac0701

Observer
looks sick,, ive been thinking about getting a 4runner my single cab and i doubt an ext cab would be enough room to do a trip to the moutain. thanks for that info looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles