Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quickie: Timing chain change, 2.7L Tacoma

Default Quickie: Timing chain change, 2.7L Tacoma

When does the timing chain need to be changed on the 2.7L Tacoma? I've searched everywhere (including the manual!!) and found no indication. Does that mean it doesn't need to be replaced like a timing belt does??

I'm at 130k miles now, original clutch, original timing chain...I keep expecting something to blow up, but she just keeps on ticking..

The 3RZ-FE engine is awesome. I had one in my 1995 Tacoma and often miss it. The 5VZ-FE in my current Tacoma has a belt that needs replacing at 90k. Yours has a timing chain and someone correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know it does not need replacing. As long as you change the oil on a regular basis, which lubricates the chain, you should be fine at this point. Now if you still have the truck in another 100k miles and plan on keeping it you may want to replace it to be safe. For now I would not worry about it.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." Thomas Paine

2003 Toyota Tacoma DBL Cab TRD
    2007 Adventure Trailer Chaser
    1987 Toyota 4runner Turbo

Tigard, Oregon Or as far away from civilization as Time and money allow
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergger
    The 3RZ-FE engine is awesome. I had one in my 1995 Tacoma and often miss it. The 5VZ-FE in my current Tacoma has a belt that needs replacing at 90k. Yours has a timing chain and someone correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know it does not need replacing. As long as you change the oil on a regular basis, which lubricates the chain, you should be fine at this point. Now if you still have the truck in another 100k miles and plan on keeping it you may want to replace it to be safe. For now I would not worry about it.
    No... they all need to be changed, the're simmilar to 22R/E motors and usualy around 150k they need to be looked at and probably changed. You may want to look into some new chain guides too at the time of changing. Cause alot of T-Chain failoures are guide failures and the pieces of the worn guide (causing excessive chain slap/flail wich wears a hole in the T-chain cover) end up taking out the chain as well. The chain also stretches over time. Older 22R's have the best of all because they have the double row chains that are virtualy bombproof..

Luckily for us, I don't belive that Toyota's motors are "interference motors" meaning should the T-chain go the valves don't get smashed into the pistons. I was told this by Ted of Engnbldr fame and his brother who put my 22RE in my toyota. Sure enough, I had a freak break after only 300 miles and the motor was fine, just needed a new chain (free of course)

PM DaveinDenver here on the boards, he knows so much about Toyotas it's really crazy. You could also try talking to Rodger Brown of 4Crawler fame, he's a Toyota guru of sorts as well.

Cheers

Dave
    *EMS/Fire/Rescue/Winderness EMS guy... it comes in handy from time to time.*
    - 95 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Limited: Project "4Rescue2" underway
    *1KZ-TE Diesel, SAS, OME Rear Leaf suspension conversion, Custom Armor... I'm going grey faster then this truck is getting finished.
    - 89 Toyota 4Runner dubbed "Project 4Rescue": Rafting/Exploration rig, Rescue rig, daily driver, Home away from home...
    *22RE 5spd. OME suspension, 33x10.50 BFG At's, Marlin Armor, 389K miles

The old 22re 4 banger was every 70,000 to 90,000 miles and the 2.7 is every 90,000 miles. I would not mess with the possibility of the slightest off timing in an interference engine like the 2.7 I have yet to tear into a 2.7, but I'm pretty sure it is timing belt driven, dual overhead cam so that might be why you can't find any info on timing chain replacement.

The dual timing chain is an after market set up for the 22re, at least it was for mine.
    Last edited by taco chaser; 12-19-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taco chaser
    The old 22re 4 banger was every 70,000 miles and the 2.7 is every 90,000 miles. I would not mess with the possibility of the slightest off timing in an interference engine like the 2.7 I have yet to tear into a 2.7, but I think it is timing belt driven so that might be why you can't find any info on chain replacement.

The dual timing chain is an after market set up for the 22re, at least it was for mine.
    The 2RZ and 3RZ have timing chains and 90K sounds low. If you follow the factory recommendations on the 22R, it will work out to somewhere around 100K to 150K. Their procedure is to take out the chain and measure it, rather than a periodic interval. Based solely on my experience a complete OEM kit on the 22R is safe to 100K. With after market parts (metal backed included), that interval could be anywhere from 25K to 125K. The main part that seems to vary in quality is the chain tensioner and you want to buy the Toyota boxed parts or it's direct equivalent (Japanese-made is what you're looking for and OSK brand is best). I also personally believe that the OEM plastic guides are much better than after market guides, which is why it seems the original parts go much longer than replacement.

My original parts were all 100% intact and I had acceptable chain stretch at 125K when I went to the "better" guides. My metal backed timing guides broke (which then snapped the chain as it wrapped around the bottom gear) at 45K. The dual row is the way to go, but it's not painless. The thicker timing cover would not work with my A/C bracket.

BTW, the 22R does seem to be an interference engine. I definitely had a valve kiss one of my pistons. I put one of Engnbldr's heads on, so I don't know for sure if I had bent valves. One day I will rebuild the old head and find out for sure. But there was evidence of the valve on the piston face. Mine broke near idle, so it would have been much worse at operating RPM...
    '91 Hilux - white, dented and worn out

Slightly OT: Why did Toyota go with a chain on the 2.7L and a belt on the 3.4L? Same with the 4.0L V6 (chain) and 4.7/5.7 V8 (belt). Shouldn't the more powerful motor get the chain?
    •UZJ100 •

Quote Originally Posted by Cackalak Han
    Slightly OT: Why did Toyota go with a chain on the 2.7L and a belt on the 3.4L? Same with the 4.0L V6 (chain) and 4.7/5.7 V8 (belt). Shouldn't the more powerful motor get the chain?
    This is a matter of some speculation, but the best description is it has to do with interference vs. non-interference engines. The general rule used to be it seems is that Toyota engines that have a belt are non-interference and chain motors are interference. The 3VZ and 5VZ are non-interference and have belts, the 22R is interference and has a chain.

Although AFAIK the 2UZ (4.7L) is an interference engine and has a belt, so I dunno how much you can generalize. I think that rule might only apply (if at all) to older engines (say designed before about 1995), because now with fuel economy and power requirements I think it's tough to have anything but interference type engines and still make everyone happy.

I suppose there are a couple of reasons why engines get chains or belts. Primarily it's probably configuration. Running a V block with overhead cams is much easier with a belt than chain. It's easier to replace a belt, which if the engine is interference would be very important. But OTOH if the valve/piston clearance is critical a chain is probably a better bet. Not to mention that a belt is quieter than a chain, which if the engine is designed for a passenger car would be certainly considered. The noise of a chain is probably why the 22R uses plastic guides instead of rubber coated metal like in the 20R (and very early 22R). Anyway, mostly I think it's more a matter of engine style, inline verses V and overhead cam or pushrods, etc. If the engine can easily utilize a chain, I'd bet Toyota would use a chain. But often it's just more practical to use a belt.
    Last edited by DaveInDenver; 12-19-2008 at 05:38 PM.
    '91 Hilux - white, dented and worn out

Good info, seems there are many out there as confused as me. Denver, you seem to know more than you should, so I'll take your word for it.

But, if I'm going to go to all the trouble to take the dang thing out and measure it, why not just replace it and ALL associated wear parts? A few more bucks isn't much spread out over the next 100k.

BTW who is a good source for a replacement kit?

The problem with a Toyota is that you don't need a mechanic often enough. Once you find a good one, he's retired before you need him again.

Thanks!
    Last edited by dustboy; 12-20-2008 at 12:38 AM.

Tigard, Oregon Or as far away from civilization as Time and money allow
    Quote Originally Posted by taco chaser
    The old 22re 4 banger was every 70,000 to 90,000 miles and the 2.7 is every 90,000 miles. I would not mess with the possibility of the slightest off timing in an interference engine like the 2.7 I have yet to tear into a 2.7, but I'm pretty sure it is timing belt driven, dual overhead cam so that might be why you can't find any info on timing chain replacement.

Toyota motors are historicaly NOT interference motors: Dave my 22Re is NOT an interference motor. (I've broken a T-chain while it was running, so that's confirmed) ... The Dual row T-Chain was stock on 20R's (but was adaptable to 22R/E's) and 70K out of a T-chain... ouch, most will run untill 100K + in my exp.
    Cheers

Dave

I agree with the use of all Toyota parts because they just seem to be better and last longer... Don't know if it's Fairy dust or what, but they just do...
    Last edited by 4Rescue; 12-24-2008 at 08:14 PM.
    *EMS/Fire/Rescue/Winderness EMS guy... it comes in handy from time to time.*
    - 95 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Limited: Project "4Rescue2" underway
    *1KZ-TE Diesel, SAS, OME Rear Leaf suspension conversion, Custom Armor... I'm going grey faster then this truck is getting finished.
    - 89 Toyota 4Runner dubbed "Project 4Rescue": Rafting/Exploration rig, Rescue rig, daily driver, Home away from home...
    *22RE 5spd. OME suspension, 33x10.50 BFG At's, Marlin Armor, 389K miles

Quote Originally Posted by 4Rescue
    Toyota motors are historicaly NOT interference motors: Dave my 22Re is NOT an interference motor. (I've broken a T-chain while it was running, so that's confirmed) ... The Dual row T-Chain was stock on 20R's (but was adaptable to 22R/E's) and 70K out of a T-chain... ouch, most will run untill 100K + in my exp.
    Cheers

Dave

I agree with the use of all Toyota parts because they just seem to be better and last longer... Don't know if it's Fairy dust or what, but they just do...
    The question is about a 2.7 4cyl, which might be an interference motor, though I may stand corrected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast