Container Shipping

racingjason

Adventurer
Hello everyone,

I am currently investigating cost for shipping my dormobile from the UK to the West Coast of Canada. (Vancouver). I have read that a 40 ft container with two vehicles in it will be less expensive per vehicle than shipping them in two 20 ft containers. Is anyone contemplating shipping a vehicle in January/February 2009 that would be interested in a sharing the cost of the large container? Also, if anyone can provide me with any contacts for a good price on shipping, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,
Jason

czenkov

Adventurer
You should bring back a second rover while you have the opportunity. Or a ton of parts. Sorry can't help you with any of your questions.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
There's also a roro ferry from the uk to florida, then enjoy the cross country drive, not sure which ports though

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
A 20ft container is around 75% the cost of a 40ft container. So a 40ft is well worth it if you can fill it.

We use Fedex Ocean for our overseas container shipments. The price depends on if you have an account, how long you have had an account, and the volume of your business.

Lots of other shipping costs including documentation, customs clearance, bonds etc.

I'd suggest you contact some freight forwarders to get bids. You will need to work out where the container will be loaded, transportation to the Port. On the other end you will need a customs broker, and transportation to a point to unload the container.

In the US you need to put a bond up to guarantee you will pay all duties, and bring the vehicle into compliance. I'm not certain of the Canadian regulations.

kevb

Observer
Are you exporting to Canada or temporary import? we took our 90 on a trip round the US earlier this year. We shipped RoRo Southampton to California. vehicle has to be empty of personal gear if you do RoRo so may not be ideal for you. We decided that for the extra expense of a container we could buy all the camping gear etc that we couldn't ship. Once we started organising it was surprisingly straightforward.

Here is some information on shipping your vehicle or trips in general to the USA. This may or may not be any help to you.

Wallenius Wilhelmsen Test Lane Southampton call Tony Wite 02380715223 to book your vehicle RoRo from Southampton to Port Huename, Ventura. Just above LA. California. We paid about £1100 outward trip, East Coast is cheaper.

You will need to contact US Customs and the Enviromental Protection Agency beforehand. you must have a letter from the EPA allowing you a temporary import. You can have it in the US fro up to one year but it must leave the country when you do. (we had originally hoped to store it and return)
To book your passage back in the UK it cheaper the USA end. use Ted Rausch co Phone 5624358231 Fax 5624377585 ask for Amando or Tanya.

Port Hueneme California is the best for Nevada , Arizona , Utah.
We flew in to Las vegas and got a one way hire to Oxnard Airport, stay at the Country Inn , Happy Hour and
Pool , but book well in advance as used by Military Officers Phone 8059865353 . From here it is a 5 minute walk to the Customs , Agent and Docks.

Only one Customs Officer so phone in advance for appointment to clear your vehicle . 8054888574 You will also need the agent to have Agriculture Dept. Clear for dirt ( very strict )Arrange Steam cleaning with UK agent at Docks before shipping. It took me half an hour to clear customs and be on my way.
Return shipping can only go from Long Beach nr Queen Mary.

Another option for container shipping is Kingston shipping in Hull. try googling them.

have a great trip

kev

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94