Project "UHAULER"

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
ujoint said:
It looks great! I thought you were getting rid of the bed as well. That box fits perfectly!

Ha ha... me too.

This one is going to be fun to watch!!!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I've driven a lot of trucks...in my 39 years of driving!

Edit....Oops! ....I've been driving since I could sit on my Dad's Lap! Remember the good 'ole days>?!!

And I will say! This is awesome! ...and really took some insight/foresight!

I'm sure by now...there must be a hot shower planned, and some espresso for the mornings...while cooking on the outstandingly good stove! And some heat for the night! A Microwave for the frozen burritos hidden in the fridge/freeze....next to the Brew!

Lot's of portal windows for views! And an uppper deck for the totally awesome Baja views! Or at least for some tailgate partying!:chef:

Some solar power for the 2 meter radio, lap top...internet ExPo connection....etc!

...carry on!:beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

West Coast Mags

Adventurer
Awesome, I was close to walking down the same path using a Uhaul box, but decided to start more modestly with a contractor shell. Looking forward to see how the project goes, great work so far.

Ironduff

Observer
Count me amongst the impressed.... The fine work so far promises a unique and outstanding finished product. And yep, not at all what I expected at the beginning.

Jim H, "Entropy never sleeps. Do y'all?"

'06 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1, Allison

UHAULER

Explorer
It's been a while since I've posted. It has been cold and dark by the time I get home so I haven't been too motivated to work on it during the week. I did get it bolted down and removed the rear crossmember and have made a smaller crossmember for the back so the entrance floor will be lower than the bed.

P2210002.jpg

P2210003.jpg

P2260007.jpg

P2260009.jpg

UHAULER

Explorer
I finally feel like i'm making a little progress. With the cold weather, getting dark early, not having a shop, and work getting in the way, it has been slow the past few weeks.

I used some 2" aluminum flat bar to trim the sides. It hangs down 1/4" lower than the side panel for a clean look and to act as a drip edge.
P3080012.jpg

Next I used some 1" squre tube to make a framework for the rear floor. I call this the "mudroom". It will sit about 2" lower than the bed of the truck will be a place to leave muddy boots, dirty riding gear, and anything else that does not need to go much further inside the doorway and would be best left at the rear of the truck. Eventually this could become the area for an inside shower.

P3080001.jpg

P3080003.jpg

P3080002.jpg

UHAULER

Explorer
Some more pictures of the framework. The blue tarp is there to block the wind when I was welding. And in case anyone was wondering, my little shop helper "Mr. Maddy" was put in the house while I was welding.

P3080005.jpg

P3080006.jpg

P3080007.jpg

P3080010.jpg

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
Great idea / concept! I also first thought you were going the way of "goodbye OEM bed, hello custom flatbed"... I never thought of using the U-Haul as the basis of "the box" which all other stuf is designed around. Can I ask how you happened to come upon this box; my searching hasn't produced any reliable results (other than wrecked boxes). . .

Looking forward to watching this build continue.

UHAULER

Explorer
....Can I ask how you happened to come upon this box; my searching hasn't produced any reliable results (other than wrecked boxes). . .

Looking forward to watching this build continue.

At first I was planning on making my own tall utility shell then I started looking and measuring boxes and found this one. This particular box came off a Toyota 1 ton Uhaul truck. I wanted this box because it was the right width for my project. Uhaul has plenty of dead ford f350 trucks with 8' wide x 14' long boxes they sell pretty cheap.

UHAULER

Explorer
I made a little progress in the last couple of weeks. I framed the back for a single door. The door is going to be huge, 44" wide x 6' Tall. I want to be able to get my dirtbike in with plenty of room, and since is it part Uhaul I could even move furniture with it if I had to:D

The side panels were made of 1/2"plywood skinned with frp paneling and then routered flush.

P3150001.jpg

P3270003.jpg

Funrover

Expedition Leader
GREAT WORK!! I must say I never thought one of the old Toyota boxes would work so well on a full size.. Well done!!! I like the way this is going!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz