Snorkels and heavy snow?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Just noticed this post... :exclaim:

As far as I am concerned, it is a complete non-issue if you turn the snorkel around. I've been through a few very heavy, we snow storms and never had an issue.

Just whip off the snow if it accumulates - that's about it.

Pete

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
MuddyMudskipper said:
If you change over to a Safari Snorkel pre-cleaner, don't use it in the snow either. The snow will gather in the pre-cleaner element and freeze into a big hunk of ice.

I've heard of that and can understand why/how it happens, but never actually seen it occur. So many large trucks have pre-cleaners and don't really have issues.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
R_Lefebvre said:
Ok on the turning it around, that's what I thought would make sense.

What about a cover for parking outside during blizzards? I was thinking of making a red sock kinda thing... sort of like what they use on jet air intakes. I can just see snow blowing down there during a really bad blizzard.

Any input from our Alaskan friends? ;)
I've used a crown royal bag in the past. :) also keep stuff out of my regulators too.

Aaron

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I don't do anything... If I was overly concerned about it I would just turn the intake around.

Here's a shot from last week:
DSC00951.JPG

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
flyingwil said:
I don't do anything... If I was overly concerned about it I would just turn the intake around.

Here's a shot from last week:
DSC00951.JPG

Well I can't make out the snorkel in that pic. Looks kinda cold!

Aaron

sargeek

Adventurer
First Post

I would turn the intake around so it faced to the rear. I would not be concerned about water/snow going into the intake. They are designed to catch the water and drain it out safely. The concern would be snow freezing around the intake and restricting the amount of air entering. I had this experince on a full sized bronco. The snow accumulated and froze about 6" thick on the entire front grill. The fan was able to bull enough air to keep the engine cool, but the cold air intake was frozen solid. I was driving along and the truck began to loose power and then quit. After sitting on the side of the road for 1/2 hour, the residual engine heat would melt some of the snow, and the truck would run. It took me about 3 cycles to figure out the problem.

KG6BWS

Explorer
flyingwil said:
It's just camping...

So Rob, did you get the snorkel on yet???

oh i know. i happen to like snow camping. camped in almost that much snow once, got home on sunday and went and bought a decent sleeping bag. now, no problems.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Overland Hadley said:
I have wondered about this as well. We can get heavy snow along with 40 MPH winds, and then you get snow blown into everything. I have seen a good sized pile of snow that had blown in overnight around the seals of a closed door.

That's exactly what I've been wondering about. I've seen snow blow into a 1" opening in my weatherstripping and make a little pile in my garage. Yes, I, understand to turn it around when driving, the question still remains about parking in a blizzard. I guess from the comments about those winter camping photos, I'm talking about something altogether different. It would appear that snow fell straight down, and not that much of it. No offense intended, just saying, I'm talking about different conditions.

Wil, yes I got the snorkel on, thanks! Not too many problems. I just hope I put enough goop around everything to seal it up, it's kinda hard to see. And I had to remove one of my Canada flag decals on my fender which was surprisingly hard to get off. $60 brokerage charge from UPS. :ar15: Bastids.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
R_Lefebvre said:
That's exactly what I've been wondering about. I've seen snow blow into a 1" opening in my weatherstripping and make a little pile in my garage. Yes, I, understand to turn it around when driving, the question still remains about parking in a blizzard. I guess from the comments about those winter camping photos, I'm talking about something altogether different. It would appear that snow fell straight down, and not that much of it. No offense intended, just saying, I'm talking about different conditions.

There is a reason the Eskimos have so many different words for snow.

A wet snow is not going to blow into the snorkel, however a dry snow in a heavy wind will find its way into everything. I would cover the snorkel intake, unless it is a heavy wet snow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94