Snorkels and heavy snow?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm still unsure what a safari snorkel does for gas engines?

I understand a diesel increases wading depth but a gas engine has far more electronics in most cases and ways for H2O to get in. I suppose in dusty conditions in might help . . . anyone have insight into this?

very cool discussion by the way!

Most people don't realize the primary reason for them is to get the air intake up high out of the dust! Yep the big win is getting them up high farther from the source of dust that clogs air filters. #2 Is the reason most people figure they are designed for deep water crossings. Though I rarely see water crossings done with the water over the windshield.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Just turn the cap to the rear. Any snow, rain or moisture will be vapor long before it gets to the valves, as it would go through the air filter, turbo, inter cooler and head.

I have had a snorkel on my 60 for 12 years. I installed it for dust, not water. Normally, the head faces forward and the air filter never gets dirty. I only turned the head one time when it was pouring rain and we had to drive for over 100 miles.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Recently bought a prefilter for my AEV snorkel. My main concern was ice build up over night in winter. I have also been told the only reason to get a prefilter is for bragging rights. So, who knows. Oh and the reason I bought a snorkel was for dust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz