Snorkels and heavy snow?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
So, I'm just in the middle of adding my new Safari Snorkel onto my DII. We just went through a pretty good blizzard last night, but the snorkel wasn't on yet so I haven't tested it at all, but it got me thinking.

I'm just wondering if there are any considerations for snorkel use in heavy snowfall? Should I turn the scoop backwards? Keep in mind, I'm not just worried about snow flakes going in, but HEAVY sprays of slush thrown up by trucks on the highway. Sometimes you can get hit with a wave from an oncoming truck that totally obscures vision. Not sure if that would be bad if that went down the snorkel.

Also, what about parking the truck outside during a blizzard? Should I cover the hood so snow isn't blown down?

What about travelling on the highway during a heavy rainstorm in general, with heavy spray coming off the big rigs?

michaels

Explorer
a lot of people turn the top around anyways. i'd say if it feels right, go for it. i'm gonna get a mantec when i get a snorkel, and they all go with the top opening facing the back of the truck.

cjmitchell5

Adventurer
I too was worried about this so I moved to Hawaii, problem solved!

Seriously though, IMHO, the amount of snow or rain being ingested isn't the real problem that I can see. The problem with snow is if it's slushy it will build up and freeze on the leading edges of the vehicle (and snorkel grill) causing an air flow restriction. I think even on Safari Snorkel's literature it talks about turning it backwards while driving in heavy snowfall.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Common sense says turn it around. If you change over to a Safari Snorkel pre-cleaner, don't use it in the snow either. The snow will gather in the pre-cleaner element and freeze into a big hunk of ice.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Ok on the turning it around, that's what I thought would make sense.

What about a cover for parking outside during blizzards? I was thinking of making a red sock kinda thing... sort of like what they use on jet air intakes. I can just see snow blowing down there during a really bad blizzard.

Any input from our Alaskan friends? ;)

Bogo

Adventurer
R_Lefebvre said:

What about a cover for parking outside during blizzards? I was thinking of making a red sock kinda thing... sort of like what they use on jet air intakes. I can just see snow blowing down there during a really bad blizzard.

I can just see it iced down.:eek: Make your cover loose fitting and out of a water proof fabric. That way it won't get integrated into the ice.:D

R_Lefebvre said:

I once saw a Santa hat secured with a rubber band on parked jeep's snorkel. I thought it was awesome. :wavey:

Crikeymike

Adventurer
Ice buildup could be a big problem. Maybe you could spray the air ram down with something (WD40?) that would stop ice from sticking to the plastic, or at least make it easy to remove the ice if it does buildup. The sock sounds like a good idea, although with the angle of the actual grille, the snow would probably just buildup on top of the ram, so you could just brush it off.

I think turning it around would be a good idea in heavy snow.

vengeful

Explorer
I never had any problems with my snorkel being uncovered in heavy snow, when I lived in Rochester.

We got 18" of snow overnight, and it just built up on top of the ram. Nothing went into it. Never had any issues driving in the snow either.

I guess you could try it normal, and if it becomes an issue, then turn it around...

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Well, we've got blizzard conditions tonight, so I guess I'll find out. Just not sure how I'll know if there's tons of snow down it or not...

FlyingWen

Explorer
A cheap cover would some panty hose thrown over it. That will also act like a good filter and they are somewhat resistant to freezing.

You guys all know you have a pair somewhere! :hehe:

KG6BWS

Explorer
R_Lefebvre said:
Well, we've got blizzard conditions tonight, so I guess I'll find out. Just not sure how I'll know if there's tons of snow down it or not...

you should be all right. i forgot to turn mine around during this past weeks snow storm. other than nice big donut of ice around the edge,which yes does restrict air flow, i didnt notice anything else. it ran fine the whole time. i dont think even in blizzard or monsoon conditions, the opening is big enough to catch enough water/snow to cause a problem.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
R_Lefebvre said:

I have wondered about this as well. We can get heavy snow along with 40 MPH winds, and then you get snow blown into everything. I have seen a good sized pile of snow that had blown in overnight around the seals of a closed door.

miller_au

Adventurer
Most snorkels should have a drainage system. Designed for rain etc. As the rain/snow enters the snorkel head it is forced down the back wall and out a drainage hole etc...

as for freezing over?? well ummm snow?? whats snow??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier