Diesel News: POST HERE

haven

Expedition Leader
A version of the VM Motori 2.8L four cylinder Diesel engine was used in the jeep Liberty. A newer version has been used to power the European Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee for a number of years. The version that Chevrolet will offer in 2016 will have improved emissions controls, and will be used by Jeep, too. This engine may appear in the USA Wrangler in 2016 or 2017.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
A version of the VM Motori 2.8L four cylinder Diesel engine was used in the jeep Liberty. A newer version has been used to power the European Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee for a number of years. The version that Chevrolet will offer in 2016 will have improved emissions controls, and will be used by Jeep, too. This engine may appear in the USA Wrangler in 2016 or 2017.

Chevy is going to use the 2.8 VM Diesel?

The article linked above says it's a Duramax diesel.. ?

-Dan

haven

Expedition Leader
GM bought half of VM Motori in 2007. Fiat bought GM's share in October, 2013. The 2.8L was designed by VM. GM Powertrain builds the engine in a plant in Rayong, Thailand, and markets it under the Duramax name.

At some point, the GM version will be changed sufficiently that it won't be right to describe it as a VM Motori design, but my understanding is that we're not there just yet.

haven

Expedition Leader
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/12/09/diesel-exhaust-causes-6-percent-lung-cancer-deaths/
http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/1306880/

Here's another study that links diesel exhaust exposure to increased risk of lung cancer. The study concludes that people with occupational exposure to diesel fumes in the UK and USA, as well as people living in urban areas and alongside busy roadways, have an elevated risk of dying from lung cancer. The research relies on data from the 1970s through 1990s, so the findings don't necessarily apply to the current cleaner diesel engines.

An interesting note in the article linked above is a concern about harmful emissions from modern high compression direct injection gasoline engines. Gas direct injection (sometimes abbreviated GDI) is a popular way to increase fuel economy in gasoline engines. The article suggests that legislators may need to change the emissions control rules for modern gas engines.

doug720

Expedition Leader
With statistics, anything can be shown to elevate the risk of cancer. I'm not saying there is no risk form various types of engine exhaust, but, people who never smoked or driven a diesel contract lung cancer too.

Life is 100% fatal!

haven

Expedition Leader
http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche-bringing-macan-diesel-to-america-no-four-cylinder-models/

Porsche told Car and Driver that the new Macan compact SUV will get a V6 turbodiesel to go with a pair of V6 gas engines. The diesel is the same engine used in the Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg, and Audi Q5 and Q7. The Macan is lighter than any of those models, and produces the same 428 ft lb of torque. So the Macan is likely to be faster than the other diesel models, and return better mpg. C&D estimates 31 mpg highway, but no official EPA numbers are available at this point.

Porsche says the diesel will be the least expensive Macan. A sub-$50k MSRP is likely, making this the least expensive Porsche of any type. The diesel Macan will appear some time after the gas engine models.

haven

Expedition Leader
As we've discussed before in this thread, for the E-Class sedan, Mercedes is moving away from the proven V6 diesel to a high tech four cylinder diesel. Torque goes down from 400 (V6) to 369 ft lb (new i4), but fuel economy goes up significantly.

Car and Driver has posted a brief article about driving the new E250 Bluetec. C&D's week of spirited use produced a result of 30mpg. That's pretty impressive for a standard size AWD sedan. EPA rating is 24 mpg city, 38 highway, so most people will get a higher mpg result in normal use.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-mercedes-benz-e250-bluetec-4matic-test-review

EMrider

Explorer
As we've discussed before in this thread, for the E-Class sedan, Mercedes is moving away from the proven V6 diesel to a high tech four cylinder diesel. Torque goes down from 400 (V6) to 369 ft lb (new i4), but fuel economy goes up significantly.

Car and Driver has posted a brief article about driving the new E250 Bluetec. C&D's week of spirited use produced a result of 30mpg. That's pretty impressive for a standard size AWD sedan. EPA rating is 24 mpg city, 38 highway, so most people will get a higher mpg result in normal use.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-mercedes-benz-e250-bluetec-4matic-test-review

Assuming good reliability of course, I think that this size and spec diesel has the potential to really gain share in the US.

Vehicles like the Honda pilot or Acura MDX remain very popular, yet are in a dead zone in terms of fuel efficiency progress. They have used a gas v6 for years and get a lousy 17-19mpg. A motor like this would result in major incremental MPG and still deliver good power.

R

corprin

Adventurer
GM bought half of VM Motori in 2007. Fiat bought GM's share in October, 2013. The 2.8L was designed by VM. GM Powertrain builds the engine in a plant in Rayong, Thailand, and markets it under the Duramax name.

At some point, the GM version will be changed sufficiently that it won't be right to describe it as a VM Motori design, but my understanding is that we're not there just yet.

...this is fantastic news for the Liberty CRD crowd. Not the same motor, but more/better understanding of the basic design of the power plant... maybe a swap in the future?!?!

I am seriously looking at the Colorado Doublecab. I would love a Diesel pickup in the US, but I DO NOT need a full-sized truck nor the power/economy they currently produce. I am constantly getting 27mpg mixed and 31mpg on long highway runs after my GDE tune, bumper, lift, and 30" rubber in the Liberty... hope I can get that in a pickup.

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-audi-a7-tdi-diesel-instrumented-test-review

Car and Driver's blog reports on a test drive of the 2014 Audi A7 luxury sedan, equipped with AWD, 8 speed transmission, and the 3.0L V6 turbodiesel. With 425 ft lb of torque, the midsize A7 hustles to 6o mph in 6 seconds.

The EPA rates the diesel A7 at 24 city, 38 highway. C&D recorded 30 mpg in mixed driving, which is very good for a 4300 lb sedan.

For 2014, Mercedes dropped the 6 cylinder diesel in favor of a 2.1L turbodiesel, called the E250 Bluetec. The E250 Bluetec 4Matic is one second slower to 60 than the A7, according to C&D tests. But the four cylinder engine boosts the EPA rating to 27 city, 42 highway.

The E250 Bluetec 4Matic also costs about $10,000 less than the A7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior