Diesel News: POST HERE

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Betcha 20 bucks the engine won’t be all nicely painted when it goes into the production Titan. Diesel engine manufactures always show the prettiest painted engines in media shots then in the actual vehicle they are just poorly painted black while the aluminum and plastic bits are left bare.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Betcha 20 bucks the engine won't be all nicely painted when it goes into the production Titan. Diesel engine manufactures always show the prettiest painted engines in media shots then in the actual vehicle they are just poorly painted black while the aluminum and plastic bits are left bare.

Umm yes....why would that surprise you?

arlon

Adventurer
I liked the idea of the new Jeep Cherokee diesel but I think I'll wait awhile and see how it holds up. Right now I'm driving an 03 Dodge/Cummins. I would not sell or trade it for any new diesel that's out there right now. Resale prices of the old diesels are getting close to what I paid for it 10 years ago. When I did some searching for used 03/04 Cummins powered Dodge trucks, I was floored by what they are starting to sell for. I guess some people are realizing that the best new diesel is an old Cummins. No DPF, no cat, no urea, more dependable, less tempermental, way better economy... I would rebuild mine from scratch before I spent the money for a new one.. I do tow a small travel trailer (Casita) with mine and it has never gotten less than 20mpg towing anywhere. In 180k miles it has had the water pump changed (15 minute job on a Cummins) and that's it. There is simply no modern vehicle that comes close to replacing it, gas or diesel... If I ran across another one at a decent price, I might just buy it and "pickle it" as a backup for when mine gets wrecked or stolen. (-:}

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I love the relative simplicity of my '07 CTD. I just wish I could put my engine in a 4th gen. The interiors are much nicer than ours.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The media shots usually look closer to the marine version of a motor.
Betcha 20 bucks the engine won't be all nicely painted when it goes into the production Titan. Diesel engine manufactures always show the prettiest painted engines in media shots then in the actual vehicle they are just poorly painted black while the aluminum and plastic bits are left bare.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Cummins premier over the road truck engines are Red.
Their boring "meh" engines tend to be black.
Their emergency generators are blue/green baby puke.
And their marine units, that I've only seen a handful of, were white or blue/green baby puke.

There's a fair chance this will get the red treatment with the more corrosion resistant chrome covered fuel lines.

That C sticker on the Nissan's bed isn't big enough to draw the Dodge guys away. They're going to need to find a bigger vinyl cutter.

Not sure what the KTA19's get painted when they are in trains?

Darwin

Explorer
That C sticker on the Nissan's bed isn't big enough to draw the Dodge guys away. They're going to need to find a bigger vinyl cutter.
Most Dodge owners I know are not loyal to Dodge, but rather Cummins. It's the motor that matters. It's only among the Ford and GM diesel crowd that you get brand loyalty to the truck manufactures. Many people say, " I have always owned a ford", which led them to buy the disaster that was the International 6.0 and 6.4 liter engines.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
2016 Toyota Tacoma Diesel Not Worth it Says Chief Engineer

Toyota Tacoma Diesel Not Worth it Says Chief Engineer

Bad news for the diesel bong hitters but a brutally honest business assessment of diesel power for the latest generation of Tacoma by Chief Engineer Mike Sweers. He is right on right on the money. I too will be surprised if the Colorado will still have a diesel option after 2019 model year.

haven

Expedition Leader
For a while this Winter, gas prices fell sharply while diesel remained fairly steady. I saw diesel prices that were $1.50 a gallon more than unleaded regular gas. Recently, diesel prices have declined.

Nationally, an average gallon of ULSD costs $2.865, while unleaded regular costs $2.274. At these prices, diesel costs 26% more per gallon. Your local price may vary.

http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/gasdiesel/

At these prices, the fuel economy advantage of a diesel powered vehicle is erased by diesel's higher price per gallon. However, diesel continues to offer greater range (you can drive farther on 10 gallons of diesel than on 10 gallons of gas), and greater torque at low rpm, compared to typical gasoline engine performance. These are advantages for overland travelers.

When GM finally introduces a midsize truck with diesel engine, we'll have a better look at advantages and disadvantages. If GM starts racking up sales with their small diesel, you can bet Toyota will take notice.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Toyota Tacoma Diesel Not Worth it Says Chief Engineer

Bad news for the diesel bong hitters but a brutally honest business assessment of diesel power for the latest generation of Tacoma by Chief Engineer Mike Sweers. He is right on right on the money. I too will be surprised if the Colorado will still have a diesel option after 2019 model year.

That's an interesting stand for them to take, considering they sell diesels in literally every single other market on the planet.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94