Expedition: Goat Canyon Trestle - After Action Reports

SAR_Squid79

Explorer

I just got home from the Goat Canyon Trestle Expedition. It was great to meet everyone, and be able to share this adventure with a great group of people.

It's always good to meet new friends, and put faces to Screen-Names. I hope to see you all on the trail again in the near future!

The expedition to the trestle was quite an adventure. Out of the 16 that started, I believe that only 8 made it all the way to the trestle. Everything I read in my research and preparation said that this was a "moderate" hike. All I can say is that someone has a WAAAYYYY different definition of the word 'moderate', than I. I would say that the hike over the mountains, and down into Goat Canyon is pretty grueling. The terrain is difficult and unforgiving. There were times that we would not have been able to find our way without the GPS track I had from a previous hiker. At the end of the day, most of us had seen the trestle. Everyone got back to camp by sunset. Nobody got hurt (aside from sore muscles).

As diificult as it may have been - the hike definitely had many pay-offs. The views, the SNOW IN THE DESERT, the experience of going somewhere that not many people have been. ...And of course the arrival at the trestle, and exploration of the surrounding area was the biggest pay off of all. We could not have had a more beautiful day or more perfect conditions for this hike. This is one I'll never forget!

PICTURES:

...And for all the Deputy Dawgs - you can rest assured that NOBODY went out on to the trestle!
In fact - here is a picture of 'nobody' on the trestle.

Last edited:

KG6BWS

Explorer
well looks like you guys had a good trip!! love the pics, someday, soon hopefully, id like to go see that for myself. looks pretty cool!!!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Great pics Jamie and thanks for putting this on. The hike was epic and just made me that more motivated to go out and hike more often. I agree that this hike is not for novice hikers and you better be in pretty good shape if you want to make the complete distance. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Time to rest the sore legs.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Goat canyon trip

I was suprised to see the closure of a tunnel and recent rock falls closing the line. Thanks for posting them, I will find out what the deal was and when it happened. The rock slide looked very recent, as far as the tunnel and equipment I will also try to find out if anyone got hurt.I just got off the phone with a bridge inspector, who also works for the museum and a friend of mine and it was news to him. He was to go out and inspect a bridge on the line this week. He will give me the skinny on the recent closure.I sent him the link so he could see what the deal is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles