FG's in Action

Howard70

Adventurer
EarthCruiser Up "Boulder Alley" into Collins Valley, Anza Borrego Desert State Park

FG Colleagues:

Heidi and I drove up the Lower Coyote Canyon track into Sheep Canyon to camp the night before Christmas Eve. We last drove that route in 2007 in our Tacoma and the rough stretch up the canyon to bypass the Middle Willows riparian area is much easier now than it was then. However, it was still a good scramble for Prima Terra, our 2014 EarthCruiser.

Here are two video clips of one of the rocky climbs. The first is the "truck's eye view" and the second was recorded by Heidi as I bounced past. It would have been a much smoother run had I remembered to drop 20 pounds or so out of the tires....

Ascent from the truck:

Ascent of the truck:

Howard

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
Howard,

Thank you for sharing!! Hope to be doing the same soon! Looks like new shocks are in order!

Allan

tommesch

Looks like you're really enjoying your EC! I may add another EC to California soon.

Keyne mentioned this in the EC thread "Just wondering does that Fuso have low range or is it one of the new automatics without one? If no low how has your experience been?"

I'm curious about this as well. A video showing how slow will it go up hill and how slow down with engine braking engaged would be very interesting to see.

Thanks!

Tom

Howard70

Adventurer
Looks like you're really enjoying your EC! I may add another EC to California soon.

Keyne mentioned this in the EC thread "Just wondering does that Fuso have low range or is it one of the new automatics without one? If no low how has your experience been?"

I'm curious about this as well. A video showing how slow will it go up hill and how slow down with engine braking engaged would be very interesting to see.

Thanks!

Tom

Hello Tom:

We love the truck. I just replied to Keyne over on the EC thread -short version - no low range, 5.7 differential, we'd gladly accept lower gearing if it was available, but we don't want it enough to forego what we perceive as the other advantageous of the newer trucks.

She's climbing just about as slow as possible in that video - especially just as she passes the camera. The engine braking is really superb when you combine 1st gear with the engine brake feature. However, in rough, rocky terrain I use the brakes quite a bit to ease over ledges, etc.

Howard

dtruzinski

Explorer
Very, very nice set-up. Would that happen to belong to anyone on here, please ? :jumping:
Frank,
I just realized that Earthcruiser (EC)posted the pics my rig. I recall them asking if they could post some pics, but overlooked the post. The wheel/tire upgrade from EC has been phenomenal! I am using the Goodyear Duratrac 315's and they do really well in snow/ice covered roads. They probably will not do as well as the Cooper tires that EC runs in the mud, but most of my driving will be snow, ice, and rocks....all of which the Goodyears do a good job handling.

The best advice I have received so far has been from Lance at EC. He recommended that I upgrade my wheels/tires first to see how big a difference it would make. It is driveable now and handles concrete highways and bridge expansion joints with ease (Fuso drivers will know how big of a change this really represents!). I am upgrading to parabolics to help keep all four wheels on the ground when off road. The frame flexes more than the stock suspension.

Planning a trip over President's Day somewhere in MT, WY or UT. Will post pics when I return.

dave

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
Ah the joys of being a multi national lol.
Australian made for Australian customers (Not too many Iveco or Isuzu 4x4 in the United States :()
Our US customers ride on US made.
It probably sounds like we are up our selves but we believe strongly in "give a kid a job" if you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles