FG's in Action

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
At one time, it was a taught technique in the U.S. Army for recoveries....but I can only imagine how much of a pain it would be to unwrap the cable afterwards.

One other option, for use in dire circumstances, was a technique and tool used by Tatra in the early Dakar races.....go about 12 seconds in, if you want to skip to it.

JACI

At one time, it was a taught technique in the U.S. Army for recoveries....but I can only imagine how much of a pain it would be to unwrap the cable afterwards.

One other option, for use in dire circumstances, was a technique and tool used by Tatra in the early Dakar races.....go about 12 seconds in, if you want to skip to it.

Thanks for the vid, though that system doesnt gel with my minimalist approach, neither does carrying a dirty big winch

I cant really see a problem with unwrapping a spectra rope and it is so light and easy to store

If you havent guessed I really dislike added weight to my rig

and Lynn why carry a capstan when there is a good capstan point already there, free of charge and weight-free as well

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Ah, got it.

One thing I'd say to do, then, is do some experimentation on how low you can drop your tire pressure for emergency recovery. Might be lots lower than you think, and might do the trick.

I'll ETA to say that another old technique was to get a short length of timber, and bind it to the tire and wheel using chain and going through the wheel holes. Tracked vehicles used the same technique, except a longer piece of timber all the way across, tied onto the tracks.

lots of different ways to skin that cat...

Last edited:

JACI

I agree on the tyre pressures, I have driven on more sand tracks and beaches than 99.9999999999% of travellers (gees I even lived on a sand island for a year) so I could write a book on that one.

Plus its a great way to cushion your vehicle on heavily corrigated roads and helps prevent punctures from sharp rocks etc

gait

Explorer
just day dreaming really ..... if we have traction then the vehicle will move as the wheel rotates. A wheel winch/capstan which is smaller diameter than the wheel implies that the wheel must spin. So why don't we have a "rope" that will wrap itself around the wheel. A bit like a long hammock attached to a suitably distant anchor. A sort of tyre chain with a long tail, made of webbing, or maybe the cross pieces like bits of maxtrax. Lighter than a tank track.

Have to drive along the track of course, and maybe difficult to remove once used of course ......... but if it gets us unstuck ....

JACI

What are you normally running for deep sand on your rig? Tire pressure-wise, I mean.

The Michelin XZL tyres are quite strong in the side walls and dont want to belly until they are under 18 PSI from memory on my lightweight rig

But on split rims with a tube they start to rotate on the rims around 12 psi even with the Canter's moderate HP

I think I used to run around 15 psi in dry dunes but realistically it would go anywhere on the softest flat sand with 18psi

Now for the front bumper, that bogging issue was way worse than it looks, that is not sand under the truck but a coastal clay/pan that had about a 350mm dry crust and soup underneath that

After trying to sleep the night on that angle....and abandoning an attempt to walk 15 miles to the main track pre dawn

I found an abandoned settlement about 2 miles away that had that timber and a crappy wheel barrow that was extremely hard to push loaded across the flat

It was hot so I erected a sun shade and then removed the front bumper to make the jacking process easier, there was a lot of jacking.

Whilst I worked, the wife and kiddies filled the wheelbarrow with sand about 40 yards away and then I would pack with sand as the vehicle was raised.

My biggest worry was the other side going down as well that is why I went way past the point of recovery to make the reversing out as gentle as possible...low range idle was my aim

So it took most of a day to recover..there was no-one else around though I had rescued another vehicle the day before, they were long gone

Need to post a pic of the natural 'winch drum' you get when running singles on the canter

Attachments

• Copy of Trekking 2004 243.jpg
    Copy of Trekking 2004 243.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Copy of Trekking 2004 241.jpg
    Copy of Trekking 2004 241.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 79

yabanja

Explorer
Nope, No winch

Jaci,

I don't have a winch. I am with you on the weight thing. Trying to keep it as light as I can. I was at 20 psi when I got stuck. That is about as low as I have gone. The problem is the huge pumpkin on the rear axle. I was actually impressed with how much dirt it would push before I got bogged down. Had intended to put a hoe in the truck but forgot. Definitely the right tool for the job and will be added to future kit.

Looks like nice mess you got yourself into. I was thinking I was going to be sleeping at an angle as well. Glad I didn't have to. I do carry a tent just in case.

Take care,

Allan

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
Here is a "different" FG in action. We built up a heavy duty tray (flat bed) and platform and a few other EarthCruiser goodies.
A local company installed the gear for the bungee attachments.
So - perhaps the first Bungee FG????
FG Bungee truck in action .jpg
Bungee truck_EC.JPG

seancampbell

20150725_123828.jpg

I just did the Simson Desert on dirtbikes (South to North on the Hay River Track) with FGCrazy and his truck as our backup vehicle. His dad drove the truck for us and did an amazing job. He got over everything and was never too far behind the bikes. I let him pass once as I was taking some photos and it took me by surprise to see the speed the truck was going!

A professional video was made of out trip and once it's finished I will post a link here in the hope that it captured some FG action.

Sean

seancampbell

attachment.php

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
These bridges are great, the workman ship is something else. They sure ant just a bridge!
ECUTE coverd bridge.jpg
Photo Jul 30, 16 02 19.jpg
We where on our way to pick up some laser cutting and just had to do the tourist thing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior