KELLY KETTLE...any users here?

Chriscanoe

Observer
I purchased a Kelly Kettle a while back. The first time I used it it took about 15 minits to get water boiling (collecting wood, lighting fire, boiling water). That was two liters of water which is pretty impresive. Do you guys that use them cook with them, and if so what do you make?

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
We don't cook with ours, I haven't heard the best reports for cooking over the little fire holder thingy. Unfortunately the volcano effect is lost... now if we could somehow make a tagine volcano Kelly kettle cooker-:drool:
base_media

Yudda

Adventurer
I love mine... the local Bedouins like it alot.

Also, if your going to use the cook set up top remember there must be water in the kettle.

without water in the kettle it will melt.

IMG_0103.JPG

Take care.

Rob

Last edited:

v8chris

I have the smaller 1pt kelly kettle and for me it works quite well. it's small enough to go behind the seats of the defender and will make enough for two cups. As someone else said before, pine cones burn very well in it but they will burn pretty much anything (once managed to boil on nothing but balled up paper).

One thing to be careful of is if you do choose to use any sort of flammable liquid in it, be careful for it blowing back at you (singed eylashes anyone?) :coffeedrink:

elefant

I've used one for several years and can't think of camping without it. Any handy fuel will heat water amazingly fast but my personal favorite fuel sources are pine cones and twigs. I usually bring along a bag of small pine cones and use any sticks or twigs I can find about which has never been a problem even in the AZ and UT desert. The pine cones are easy to start and make it easy to just drop a few twigs down the barrel as needed.

I have a large size kettle and think it's the perfect size.

Fred

Sirocco

Explorer
I usually bring along a bag of small pine cones and use any sticks or twigs I can find about which has never been a problem even in the AZ and UT desert.

As above, we carry a small bag (30x40cm) of collected wood with us in the Rover. With use, you can get the boil time down. We also take a small amount of newspaper to help start it up.

I have used the cookset ontop of the kettle. I used it on the weekend to warm some soup. My initial thoughts were "its going to be too effective" but in 0 degree (C) conditions it just "warmed" my soup nicely as the water was on a rolling boil. Soup, fresh bread and fresh brew in one hit :victory:

My view is that the cook on top setup is of limited use with the grill over the firepan set of no use.

Just my thoughts.

G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke