Leatherman Skeletool CX - Early Impresssions

One can't own too many multi-tools. My latest is a Leatherman Skeletool CX as seen here: http://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools/full-size-tools/skeletool-cx.aspx.

This is a minimalist approach to a full-size multi-tool. It features only the essentials: pliers, wire cutter, partially-serrated knife blade, bit driver, and most importantly-a bottle opener. The CX is noticably lighter than my other multi-tools. It is also significantly less capable (e.g. no file). It is also less comfortable in the hand. Have work gloves handy if using this tool for serious tasks.

All that said, it's a well-crafted tool. Its niche is for those occasions when light weight trumps comfort and versatility. I can see stuffing one in a day pack while hunting or mountain biking.

Did I mention that the bottle opener is accessible without opening the tool? Oh yeah...:beer:

Best regards from the Big Empty, ELN.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I love mine but..

Nice little tool. I got one early this year and was anxiously waiting for it to come to market.
I like being able to hang it on a belt loop or on whatever for quick access and such. I don't drink beer but still like the bottle opener feature.
The thing I hate is that I keep pinching my hand between the top of the blade and the inside of the handle when using the pliers. I have given myself a few nasty blisters from getting pinched. Be careful when using the pliers aggressively or you might get pinched.
Overall I am happy with mine, but a little under whelmed.

-m

Last edited:
Cabrito - I concur. It's a tool that's intended to be carried much but used little. I don't much fancy the notion of using the Skeletool for heavy work without gloves. On the other hand (pardon the pun), it's sure light and has the tools most often used. Best regards, ELN.

Cabrito said:
Nice little tool. I got one early this year and was anxiously waiting for it to come to market.
I like being able to hang it on a belt loop or on whatever for quick access and such. I don't drink beer but still like the bottle opener feature.
The thing I hate is that I keep pinching my hand between the top of the blade and the inside of the handle when using the pliers. I have given myself a few nasty blisters from getting pinched. Be careful when using the pliers aggressively or you might get pinched.
Overall I am happy with mine, but a little under whelmed.

-m

Skeletool vs. Skeletool CX

Hank: Here's the link to the CX: http://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools/full-size-tools/skeletool-cx.aspx and to the standard Skeletool: http://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools/full-size-tools/skeletool.aspx. The primary differences appear to be the type of steel used for the knife blade and the DLC coating on the CX. The CX has its place. Prospective buyers should evaluate whether its compact size and light weight are more important than its lack of versatility and inclination to bite the hand that owns it. Best regards from the Big and Very Windy Empty, ELN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier